What Is Your Favorite Gold Detector And Why?

Mike C. - Those early PI machines by Minelab were serious eye openers.  I used to think the guys at Rye Patch in the mid 90's that had them were chasing ground noise as they had 18" deep holes and just as wide.  I used to run around with a VLF out there and find 30 to 50 pieces a day with it and thought I was a bad ass.  Then one day I walked up on a guy with a green 2100 and he just popped a 1/4 oz'er at 16 to 18" depth,  I was in shock and total amazement.  The following trip had me down there swinging a borrowed 2100 and my paperwork had already been submitted for a Minelab Dealership.  Thanks for bring back old deep memories.

Principedeleon - I read your post and scratch my head.  Not sure if you want the dream detector that only beeps on gold or if you have not owned some of the newer technology detectors on the market?  I can easily tell ferrous from nonferrous and with some detectors at certain sites, I can call gold before I dig it and be right 7 times out of 10 (pretty good odds).  I guess your favorite gold detector is still to be made yet?  I'm good with that and thanks for input.

Flakmagnet - Yes the 7000 is a serious detector and hopefully some day we will have it in the box of a light VLF, but I think the coil will certainly make it Toe Heavy.  When I tested the 1st prototype 7000, it did not even come with a swing arm, talk about a serious back burner.  Glad they realized most folks need the extra arm.  GPZ is the deepest detectors I have ever used for a variety of gold size.  Thanks for adding to the thread.

Tom Slick - White's Surf PI was knocking many precious metal rings back in those days as we did not have Tungsten, Stainless, Carbide and Ceramic to slow us down.  The newer generation along with the price of Au has left some of us old dogs with the occasional scrap of a gold band.  Those were certainly the days and the PI had the punch too. Appreciate your words.

RickUK - You bring up the capabilities of those medium kHz range detectors and I feel that was a big help for many detectorists and even some manufactures.  Tesoro jumped on early and hard with many models in the medium frequency range.  Garrett and Fisher/Technetics also seen the importance and proper kHz for mid tones and White's realized they better adjust some of their coin machines to match.  The DFX was a solid contender for the top digital guys who wanted all the bells and whistles.  I sure do wish they would take some of the V3I's colored graph chart capabilities as well as  kHz change and put it in a sub $800 waterproof detector.  Thanks for helping us.

SnakeJim - Your selection shows your wisdom and those mentioned machines were serious icebreakers in the day. 19kHz, 50 kHz and early PI Power.  I know you have many stories to tell and we look forward to it some day.  Thanks for contributing.

• Like 5

At my age the QED fills all my needs due to its light weight and ergonomics. There's not much point in expanding on the other reasons why it is my favourite, as unfortunately it is not readily available in the USA, although there are a few there. 

Sad situation really as you Americans are missing out on a great detector.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Steve - Yes the 7000 or GPX-5000 are proven money makers for many folks, especially the boys down under with all those bigger gold nuggets to chase.  And again we hear the praise of the famous GB-2.  But you bring up things about it many do not realize, why we in fact still love it.  yes the ergonomics is the best of any gold detector made and for those who hunts long hard hours, side hilling tailing piles, the weight was every bit of important as the performance.  I will have to say though, there are some really good  VLF Iron ID detectors now and that is part of why I don't push it as much.  Plus we all know the Manual GB can be a big turn off for those who don't understand.  Yes the 25 yr old GB-2 will certainly go down in history and hang on the mantel of many a old nugget hunters.  Thanks for giving your feedback and thoughts.

GB_Amateur - 1st off, I do want to personally thank you for giving input and as you said yes this is for everyone.   In the long run I know a few of the manufactures read these posts and when they see a variety of comments from different degrees of users, it could/should plan the seed for future products.  Yes the EQ-800 is a fine gold detector and in many ways, better than their GM-1000, but why Minelab does not even have it listen with their gold detectors?  Sometimes you just can't fix stupid, but to be fair the advertising folks will only say what they are being told from higher ups.  Well at least you, my Field Staff, many of my customers and myself know its capabilities for gold.  Thanks for feeling comfortable and posting.  Hope to see more from you in the future.

ID Mineralsurveys - I enjoyed your little story and thanks for listening to Lunk.  I have to toot my horn and feel very fortunate to have the Field Staff Experts I do as they are all very accomplished gold nugget hunters.  As for coins and relics, we're getting Lunk up to speed and he is progressing well.  But gold detectors, he is a rock star.  I like that you had some really nice success with the GB-2 but was also willing to try a new product.  Yes I agree 100%, both those detectors are quite capable and each has their own strong/weak points.  Today, I sell the GM-1000 as the most User Friendly VLF gold detector on the market and a great tool for those who want a 2nd unit for the occasional family member or buddy who wants to tag along.  Pretty much turn it on and go.  Now you know the GB-2, it is king of tiny, but in reality, one of the hardest detectors to operate for those who don't have help.  But if you are fortunate enough to find someone willing to help you learn the manual GB of the Bug-2, it then becomes a walk in the park.  Thanks for replying with good input.

Alaskaseeker - I like the detail and length of your reply.  I almost had to get a 2nd coffee (sip that is) before I finished.  I get a sense you have had quite some success with the GB-2 and probably well deserved.  But as one who lives in GOLDEN State AK, have you ventured far away from GB-2 and tried any of the other 30+ models of gold detectors that have come/some gone in the meantime?  If you have not, I'm ok with it totally.  But I would think a guy who gets good gold is also making sure he has the best tool at all times, if financially possible.  I do like how you are very proud of the GB-2 though and nothing wrong with it. Thanks for helping.

Glenn in CO - Those rare collectible specimens are gorgeous and thanks for sharing.  The most popular (in my opinion) VLF gold detector White's has every made, the Gold Master Tracker.  Man was that wise of Jimmy Sierra to make sure it was Hip/Chest mountable.  Many on here probably have never heard of such a man, so please do yourself a favor and look him up.  Jimmy Sierra Normandi was one of the most influential  detectorists with White's for many years.  He was one of my MD'ing idols as a young kid and I was able to detect England with him in 1990 and yes we had the XLT hip/chest mounted.  Another bit you bring up and it is very important, so thanks for saying "Invisible Gold to a PI".  You are 100% correct Glenn and for the last 10 yrs during my training I have been proving/showing it to my customers and why the importance of having more than 1 tool.  I recently pulled 13 piece of high grade ore from a tailing pile with a VLF and my ZED only could hear 2 of them.  Ended up with just over 1.5 ozt of gold after crushed and poured.  Please don't crush those in the pics, they are Picassos.  Thanks for showing and sharing.

Norvic - You, wise man have been around for a few moons and seen many a gold detector come/go.  One of the early pioneers of green gold machine by Garrett, the A2B Gold Seeker or Ground Hog, I can't recall, but I do remember PHrunt had one.  That my friend pre-dates my 45 yrs of detecting, so hats off to you.  I do recall on my trip down under some 15 yrs ago, and talking to bloke in a pasti bar one night, he told me to ship him every used unit I could get my hands on.  It seems Garrett was well respected in Australia for early gold detectors.  Yes the 7000 is certainly the most capable of the bigger detectors.  Glad you have kept up with time/change and willing to as well.  Do you still have that wall hanger of the A2B that helped mold you into what you are today?  Thanks for the trip back in time my friend.

Jim McCulloch - My friend and another mentor for many yrs.  You Sir are certainly a man who is most dedicated to one brand.  I salute you for your loyalty for these many years to White's.  After all, they are the same company that helped me in my early years as well become a pretty accomplished MD'erist.  I have to wonder, if you ever took all the Au you found and piled it on a table for a pic or two?  I just know it would be the fastest sharing photo to go around.  Yes the GMT will go down as one of their best for us old school guys, but I have to give credit where credit due and I honestly think (no---- I know for a fact)  the 24K is a better performing gold detector....and you are correct again, it needs to be hip/chest mountable.  Why the manufactures are going away from hip/chest mount, I have no clue, but I and many others sure do like that option.  And as Glenn shows in the pick, when on the side of a hill, it totally makes sense.  When the time is right and you are ready to dig your last hole,  I hope someone is there to put a White's in there with you.  Well deserved my friend.  I would have expected nothing less from you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I will have to say though, there are some really good  VLF Iron ID detectors now and that is part of why I don't push it as much.  Plus we all know the Manual GB can be a big turn off for those who don't understand.  Yes the 25 yr old GB-2 will certainly go down in history and hang on the mantel of many a old nugget hunters. 

I was talking nostalgic all time favorite, not what I have now or you should be pushing. My Gold Bug 2 got replaced by a Gold Monster which got replaced by a Goldmaster 24K. And if forced to pick between the 24K and Equinox for gold... I’d keep my Equinox. Why? I can do magical things with it I can’t do with other gold nugget detectors. 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a Nox 800, and even though I have not found any gold with it yet, I have to say it is only time that it shows me some.

While I learn all there is to know about the 800 time will tell if I should ever find any gold.

I love my 800 because it is light weight and It would not hurt to use it all day hunting for anything I would be looking for.

Yes I am a newbie at this but I choose what I bought on now and future hunts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Many on here probably have never heard of such a man, so please do yourself a favor and look him up.  Jimmy Sierra Normandi was one of the most influential  detectorists with White's for many years.

I and my wife were fortunate to meet Jimmy several times and one of them was at the White's factory as Randy Smith, Jimmy, I and my wife, Bob LaVoy, Ralph Tanner and Dutch Medford were involved in White's first infomercial in 1995. The stories and treasure that was found by all at that time was incredible. Jimmy and Alan Holcombe were in my opinion the key people in the 1990's and earlier 2000's that made White's so successful. Jimmy Sierra Normandi was always great to be around, talking detecting or not.

288797223_Scan639(1485x2054).thumb.jpg.3f84c974df7eabb8cfc559dfc914e1a8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gerry, the A2B from memory was an upgraded Groundhog thus a different model, although both were 15KHz detectors the A2B was more sensitive to smaller stuff and between it and the Deepseeker they got this electronic gold rush going proper downunder here, sadly after that early success Garret fell away. What happened to Garret? Nah I keep no detectors from the past, thus no wall hangers.

Now Minelab have been so consistent with their new gold detectors having the edge on the previous model, I just put my name down with the local dealer to get me one soon as.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gerry,

Just like many others my response to my favorite detector is split.  In my case it is split between a GPX 5000 with various coils that has found my most weight and biggest nuggets and the GPZ which has found the most nuggets.  I still haven't found a 1/2 ounce nugget with the GPZ.

Mitchel

• Thanks 1

Reg - Your input is just as valuable as the next guy and I've seen you on here enough to know, you're not much into "not thought out" quality or ergonomics, which I totally agree and especially with the price of some detectors.  I personally have not used the QED as reasons you stated above.  Simon shined some light onto it and I do like the what he mentioned.  I also know some guys who are very successful, do not like to mention their detector or settings, as in reality they are giving away part of their earnings.  My own father used to tell me to quit training my customers on gold detectors every time one of them would find a big nuggets.  He'd say, if you didn't train him, maybe that would be your nugget?  Heck, old dad never realized I get just as excited when one of my customers finds something nice.  I know deep down that my Field Staff and I had something to do with it.  Thanks for mentioning a detector many folks here in the US have never heard of, as it adds more opportunity and knowledge to the thread.

Simon - Thanks for helping us Yankees know more about the QED and its capabilities.  It is interesting to see how fast you have progressed from one detector to the next and as you stated, each has their own strong points.  Heck, just having the lady go with you on occasion for a coin hunt is worth keeping the GB-Pro around.  Yes I too agree one of the strong points with the ZED is the simplicity and  not being tethered into the harness.  So many folks do not realize the importance of having more than 1 gold detector, but maybe it is because their fever is not as strong.  Guys like you and me, we broke the thermometer.  Thanks for sharing and shining.

2Valen - I appreciate you taking the time to tell us your desire to have a light weight detector like the NOX.  Yes, I feel Minelab certainly did us all a favor with this one, when compared to so many of their older units and technologies.  I assure you the day will come when you find the heavy metal and I sure hope you take the time to shine on this fine forum.  After the 1st one, things start to come along much easier.  Thanks again and good luck this season with it.

Glenn -  Do you realize how much treasure has been found by the names you just mentioned and in the pic?  How amazing was that and I appreciate you sharing it.  Thank you thanks you.

Norvic - I have to agree with this "Now Minelab have been so consistent with their new gold detectors having the edge on the previous model, I just put my name down with the local dealer to get me one soon as".  Well said.

Mitchel -  You bring up a strong point with the GPX and its 20+ coil selection.  I'm in the same boat you are with the ZED as I have yet to find a 1/2 oz solid nugget with it and have with many older SD, GP and GPX detectors.  But in all fairness, I amd usually detecting the same ground with the 7000 that I have hunted with the others.  Now I know for a fact that 4 of my Field Staff have found bigger gold with their 7000's.  Heck, I think each of them paid their GPZ's off the 1st year, but in all truth, they hunt gold nuggets much more than I do.  I also like to chase Civil War Relics back East, Water hunting for gold/platinum rings and just love the older US coins too.  Being a multi task detectorist keeps me on my toes with a variety of detectors and know that I enjoy sharing with my customers.  I guess you and I need to swing some new ground with their 7's instead of going over the same old stuff we hunted in years past with the GPX.  My gut tells me this year I'll hit a nice one with at least an ounce of Au in it though...Hope you do the same. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes i have used a couple MD from VLF to a PI QED.  What i was trying to say is that the most advance GPZ GPX or QED couldnt be used with discrimination which are dig em all detectors.  VLF can discriminate Iron pretty good.  Just not in deep ground so well but after some soil is removed it locks solid on object before digging it out. But still there is a lot of trash that you could be faced with. Anything with a aluminum wrap like a toothpaste is going to sound like gold.  

So currently there is no detector out here that gets the gold without digging unwanted targets.. And if soo let me knoww. !!  

• Like 1