Chain Numbers For Equinox

I have found a few silver chains on the football field close to me, but a gold chain has eluded me. I'm sure there is one there, but I will need some guidance from others. Might anyone know what a thicker gold chain would come up as on an Equinox? Thanks for any help you can provide. Please see pic for about what I'm thinking.

Screenshot_20200607-133148.jpg

Just on value alone is why it’s more silver to be found than gold . One day you will find that gold one that’s been waiting on you to find it.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to finding that whatever it is to make your day.

I say dig all and it will come sooner.

Chuck 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Just on value alone is why it’s more silver to be found than gold . One day you will find that gold one that’s been waiting on you to find it.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to finding that whatever it is to make your day.

I say dig all and it will come sooner.

Chuck 

Thanks, Chuck! I agree, there is more silver than gold, usually. In Utah, it was probably 10 silver rings to 1 gold. Here in Florida, I am actually finding more gold rings. I know, it is hard to believe. For me too! That's why I'm thinking that if I have found 3 substantial silver  chains on the field, there has to be a gold there. BTW, if you come here and want to dig all my junk for me, you will have troubles finding it. I believe I have dug most of it! 

Happy digging!

12 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

I have one over a ounce that looks like that    and it's about 24" and when I set it on ground it gives me a 4 in park 1 and  park 2.I found it with the Infinium.

Thanks for taking the time to share that info! Does it give a good solid hit, or is it a scratchy 4?

5 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

I have found a few silver chains on the football field close to me, but a gold chain has eluded me. I'm sure there is one there, but I will need some guidance from others. Might anyone know what a thicker gold chain would come up as on an Equinox? Thanks for any help you can provide. Please see pic for about what I'm thinking.

With chains you are detecting them more as a loose collection of parts than as a single object. How they are oriented in the ground determines a lot. Typically target id numbers are very low, like single digits. This is true of most any detector. The last chain I dug was just a crappy erratic aluminum signal. Would not have dug it normally were I not doing the dig all non-ferrous thing. Sounded like trash.

The secret really is not what to dig. That is simple. Dig all non-ferrous. The secret is being in a good location where chains are likely. Like next to the outdoor basketball court where those tough young guys like sporting gold chains and other bling. Any sports are in general is good, or places where people are taking shirts on and off for sun tanning. Whatever. Jewelry detecting is location, location, location, plus patient digging.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

With chains you are detecting them more as a loose collection of parts than as a single object. How they are oriented in the ground determines a lot. Typically target id numbers are very low, like single digits. This is true of most any detector. The last chain I dug was just a crappy erratic aluminum signal. Would not have dug it normally were I not doing the dig all non-ferrous thing. Sounded like trash.

The secret really is not what to dig. That is simple. Dig all non-ferrous. The secret is being in a good location where chains are likely. Like next to the outdoor basketball court where those tough young guys like sporting gold chains and other bling. Any sports are in general is good, or places where people are taking shirts on and off for sun tanning. Whatever. Jewelry detecting is location, location, location, plus patient digging.

The one I got was a faint high-low hit in water with infinium .Was   about 10 inches in a cut.If  these  big chains get deep they will start getting iffy signals.I did get a 1/2 ounce 18k         bracelet in  dry  sand with  Bandito and cleansweep coil.It went beep and  few inches down was my target.

• Like 1

Steve is on it again.  I call the sound scratchy on the Equinox except for a couple of them that were balled up.  It is one of the reason why I dig negative numbers and bobby pins.  The chains sometimes start as iffys if you can find them at all.  I think the best chain that we have between my wife and I she found with the SE Pro.  I had just been over that same area with my 3030 and it didn't have a solid enough sound for me.  She dug it and it is a 20" 18k with cross and weighs .6 ounces.

My best chain (18 in/14k/herringbone) with the equinox was a wet wave find.  It was in the little waves being moved around.  The clasp was not broken.  It was not heavy enough to be 'grounded' on a surface area vs weight basis.  These are they types of chains that people wear into the ocean to swim around here.  

The athletic bling is lost on those fields.  You might have to think of things in an opposite way like Steve said.  If you know for certain you have a trash signal then don't dig it so you can dig other better targets.  Dig everything that you know is not trash.

52 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Dig everything that you know is not trash.

Gotta admit after doing this for 45 years I've still not figured that one out. :smile: Look for reasons to dig, not reasons to walk away. When in doubt, dig it out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1