I was one of the first in 2009 to get the V3i. Mine was actually a "Vision" model. About 2017 I thought "I should probably sell my V3i while it's still White's Top of the Line. Surely White's has got to be coming out with a new model shortly". Since then I've bought the Makro/Nokta Impact, Anfibio Multi, Multi Kruzer, Nox 800, and ORX. Still no new Top of the Line White's. Glad I kept my DFX for my BigFoot coil. 

PS - I'm no longer waiting for anything from White's.   

• Like 1

"I had a Vision, a beautiful Vision......."

whites-vision-metal-detector-with-bigfoot-coil.jpg

That Bigfoot coil of mine gets around! :laugh:

Garrett already had dibs on "Treasure Vision" so White's had to find a new name, V3 and then V3i. A pity really as it was a break from the three letter alphabet soup we normally got from White's.

When I sent mine in for the V3i update, I thought they would change out the decal to the newer version. Nope. I think it may have hurt me a bit when I sold it as some folks didn't know about the name change and were probably a little Leary of bidding on it. 

Hi Don,

From reading your post I think you should go ahead and sell it.    If you don't like hunting with it there is really no point in keeping it.  At some point Minelab will release an Equinox model that that can obsolete the Etrac/CTX and we will all want one of those..

Good luck,

Mike

• Like 1

I think there is another aspect to this - if you don’t like hunting with it is there something wrong with it?  I bought my CTX used but with warranty. Had problems with it, sent in for repair, fixed coil and gps. Liked it, got the 17” coil everyone was liking. It had issues, sent it back got another. It was better but the 11” is better for me. Then the EQ800 came out. I waited for the forum talk/hype to subside and got one. Used it for 8 months and just didn’t like it. Always wondered if I got a bad one. Went back to the CTX and immediately loved it again.  Sold the EQ800 but always wonder if mine was a poor example.  So if you like using the detector keep it as the next one you get may not be as good.

I think sometimes we just don’t like detectors and like others for myriad reasons that have nothing to do with performance. The tones, the feel on the arm, even just the look of the detector, all add up. Cars all get from point a to b but we all like different cars. Most detectors these days actually will do the job also.... we just each like different ways they get the job done.

It makes some desire to crown any one detector the best for everyone an exercise in futility. The best detector is the that gets you out finding stuff. It would be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same things and agreed on everything. Every forum thread would have a post, followed by replies that all said “I agree.” :smile:

Thanks all for the input. It's certainly not a that I "dislike" the machine. It has a learning curve that takes a little time and I've only had it for a couple of years. It seems, like any minelab product, that this machine is high quality and will find the "stuff".

Where I live in the desert, my hunting area is 30 min away and not a lot of trash, mainly have to deal with bullets. I use my 5000 and 7000 here exclusively for the last several years. The last discriminating machine I had was GM 2, 15 years ago and it would drive you crazy hitting on hot rocks and black sand, and I was a novice. Never found a thing. So I buy the the CTX for a trip to No. Cal and after that, use in the trashy areas of the desert, where I have found gold, and there's a ton of old cans in this small area. The CTX performance and useability compared to the 7000 is night and day, of course. So its a huge difference. I take the CTX to the beach and find some trash and I'm kind of liking the machine, just need to get the coil over a ring or Rolex. Then I hear about the CTX and its relatively inexpensive and Youtube is showing guys detecting in can patches finding nuggets! I buy one, take it to the beach and start  finding my first coins! Man this is the stuff! So now I have 4 detectors. I take 3 of them out to the desert to test, 7000, CTX, and NOX. The plan is to use them all! Fire up the 7000 and I'm off. Find a couple of nuggets with it and I'm thinking why switch machines when I'm finding gold, I know I'm sick like that! At the end of the day I say to myself, well I will try the others someday in that trashy spot where I found gold by all those old buried cans. Haven't done it yet. So here I am, do I sell the CTX because someone said in a post that it's 7 years old and may be replaced this year and lose value? Or keep it in my arsenal, because I will use it more often someday or maybe a friend without a detector can use it on a hunt with me. The wife is tired of me spending money on prospecting stuff, " You need to sell something or you can't by anything else!".  "Honey I Put the detector on ebay" ... and hope it doesn't sell... shhhh. She won't notice. Keep it stashed it in the garage. 3 weeks down the road order the cool, colored, counter weighted shaft for the NOX the guy on the forum has for sale. Wife notices on the next trip the cool looking NOX, Wellll Honey, there was this deal I couldn't pass up. 

It's a sickness I tell you!

• Like 3

One of my concerns in purchasing a CTX-3030 was that a multi-IQ version can't be too far off. Another is that I have a V3i and it seemed a bit redundant. I decided to go ahead and buy one anyway because I'm a fan of target trace and Fe:Co etc. I figure even if a multi-IQ version is released they still aren't going to detect the same. There's also no guarantee that Minelab would continue using a color screen with target trace etc. It could be an entirely different setup and feature set. Plus, I paid little enough that even if a new flagship or paralell flagship were released and the CTX value were diminished I doubt I would lose all that much. Those were the considerations I made. Maybe they will be helpful, maybe not. 

• Like 1

Trying to find a Sovereign a the moment to re have a go at it but they seems popular and expensive still..............

RR