Anyone Hunting Megalodon Teeth

I have been to the Peace River in Florida, one of the best sites to hunt for meg teeth.  I am not sure if they qualify as a rock or mineral but the normal hunting method is simply dig as much sand/dirt/muck as you can and sift through it.  If some type of detector could help ID a meg tooth it would save a lot of time.  There are also some off shore sites in the Gulf of Mexico that produce lots of meg teeth.  Anyone have experience doing this or any advice to offer.

• Like 1

Coincidentally, going to do some shark tooth hunting next week along the Potomac river (and perhaps a little detecting) as the family embarks on a sanity restoring getaway from lockdown central.  Fossilized shark teeth are primarily sedimentary-based non-conducting minerals and as such are not really detectable by magnetic induction principles used by metal detectors.  I plan to use a floating sifter.

• Like 2

Hello again "R",

I've done some teeth sifting in both areas! Made several yearly trips to the Peace River, when i was younger!  And to the Venice Beach area to sift with my son! Fun times!!

I was just a snorkeler, (me and the ocean 🤢 don't get along so well!!) so i didn't get out to the requisite distance ( about a mile offshore) at Venice for the "Big Stuff" but i found plenty of smaller and broken teeth!  Same at Peace River! But also found other things there like pieces of horse's, sloths, arrowheads,  etc... Nothing for a Museum, but every piece tells a story, and is valuable to me! 

I've always been into fossils, old things, and history! So detecting came naturally to me in the teenage years!  After getting married, and having kids, my focus had to shift due to a Special Need's son!  But no worries, everything's good, and i have been back detecting now for about five years! If my family where into the outdoors the way i was growing up, i would still be doing fossil hunting over there to this day! But alas, i take what i can get!

Good luck finding the "Megs"!! And the Gold, with the new detector you buy!  Be sure to show us your finds, including the non-metal ones!!👍👍

• Like 1

I dont hunt for them but this article came up today on Fox News.  Lady found a whooper sitting on the surface : https://www.foxnews.com/science/ancient-shark-tooth-south-carolina

• Like 1