New Garrett Ace Apex Versus The Rest

2 hours ago, Nuke em said:

But for me it was the lack of after warranty repair to the Nox box that I don't like. Too costly if it went wrong. 

So what does it cost to get an Equinox worked on out of warranty? A lot more than a flooded CTX or Excalibur? You have some hard figures on that?

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

The Nox pod is a PCB, Screen and a housing, Minelab don't do circuit board level repair even on the GPZ, if a part has a fault like the PCB fails the entire PCB gets replaced in other detectors, the pod and screen won't be the expensive part and also let's face it, ,the Nox without the coil, battery, shaft and accessories is hardly an expensive detector..  They have said they'd sell a new control pod to people who's fail outside of warranty so I think that's more than acceptable.  It'd rather a replacement than a waterproof detector that can be opened up, my watches over the years are never the same once the battery gets replaced, their waterproofing is never as good.

Its expensive enough. I dont like non repairable machines that much and would rather just replace early or not buy again.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Wow, you are buying a red detector with a 1/8' socket, something you said you would never do and as demonstrated the ID numbers are the same as Equinox.  I think you are slipping Nuke, I thought you had greater resistance than that.  :smile:

Yes i know. Not all the ability of the Nox is bad. 

I do have new headphones that work well with my Minelabs and i have adapters so the 540 is worth having . I wanted to sell the ORX anyway so might as well see what all the fuss is about with the 540 . And not being waterproof it will be easily repairable if it went wrong after warranty if i kept it that long . I live only 40 miles from Steve Cox the Minelab repairer here . Taken machines to him in the past.

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

And not being waterproof it will be easily repairable if it went wrong after warranty if i kept it that long .

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

Its expensive enough. I dont like non repairable machines that much and would rather just replace early or not buy again.

Isn't your go to machine an etrac? I'm not trying to pick holes here but you are not making much sense to me. 

1 hour ago, Sandheron said:

Isn't your go to machine an etrac? I'm not trying to pick holes here but you are not making much sense to me. 

Yes the ET is my main machine. But a cheaper backup scout is worth having. 

If the 540 can make its money and pay for itself then i wont make a loss if i sell it later . I always try to find enough to cover any money lost when selling . Thank goodness its got a box cover !

Getting back to topic . When are we going to see some real tests on the Apex ? Like beach and depth and recovery speed trials ? 

So far its been a bit lame , and i see that the machine might be released for sale in the next month . 

Just wondering myself and a dealer has thought it too , why the 6 in width of the coil ? Is it because the recovery speed is slow ? The Nox has an 11 inch round coil and is fast and so does the Deus . I am used to slow recovery speeds but would like answers to the above questions or my money could be held back.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nuke em said:

Getting back to topic . When are we going to see some real tests on the Apex ? Like beach and depth and recovery speed trials ? 

So far its been a bit lame , and i see that the machine might be released for sale in the next month . 

Just wondering myself and a dealer has thought it too , why the 6 in width of the coil ? Is it because the recovery speed is slow ? The Nox has an 11 inch round coil and is fast and so does the Deus . I am used to slow recovery speeds but would like answers to the above questions or my money could be held back.

You won't get these answers until after final release for public sales and unbiased testers and not Garrett youtube stars can get their hands on the machine and report on it with true machine to machine comparisons.  I plan to do that myself once I can get my hands on one. The machine, unlike Deus/Orx and Nox has only one, non-adjustable recovery speed.  I suspect it will be faster than the AT series but by how much, who knows at this point.  Probably faster than your ET but not quite as fast as your Vanquish (which in turn cannot be run as fast as either the 600 or 800 at their fastest settings).  A narrower coil can't really disguise slow recovery speed.  I think they were just going for a lighter coil that can cover a lot of ground.  The depth performance loss vs. a wider coil is perhaps an inch or so at most because of the total area covered by the coil with its elongated length to width ratio vs. most ellipticals.

The good news is that there will likely be a lot more Garrett and 3rd party coils available for Apex than for Nox or Vanquish.  Except for the Eurasian "hacked" coils, what you are seeing is likely all the coils that will be offered for those two Multi IQ machines.

I am hoping ML comes out with a Multi IQ machine that has the speed of the Equinox but the sophisticated target ID and discrimination patterns available in the FBS2 machines (eTrac and CTX).

Cheers

• Like 3