What Is This?

4 hours ago, Crosswinds said:

Chain is not detachable from V medal. The V medal is silver, I assume. The casing is gold or gold plated,  there was no tarnish on the case when I dug it.

The last question I have for you is the inside of the box has a layer of something in the top of it.

Is it felt on plastic or is it all felt?

That will let me know if it is the real item I think it is or just a copy.

Be careful when looking at it as it could fall apart if it is all felt.

It's not able to be remove from the box. Maybe a military medal.

Hey 2Valen, 

The layer on the inside appears to be some sort of rubber compound. Pulled it out intact and there are no markings underneath. 

Thank you and all the other members who have given me insight on this find.

Okay, just a guess:

British state crown has the fleur de lis and the cross pattee design like the outside of the locket.

I think the leaves are in the shape of a monogram for "V".

Maybe a souvenir of the coronation of Queen Victoria??? --->1838jn28 [in 18 days, will be 182 years; can it be that old?]

(what is the little flower petal design at the bottom of the V monogram?)

edit: her coronation was a year after she took the throne? I had the date wrong...

I googled "royal sheaf in box" and some of the designs (only of the sheaf design) did resemble rice sheafs!  So saying you found it on a rice plantation is interesting.  I would say it has some connection to the rice industry or harvesting history?  Thats a nice riddle you have there.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

I hope this helps,

A Montreal factory had a company named Henry Birks (1840-1928), they made the instrument that you have found. They used a crown emblem on items because some of the family members were from Sheffield, England. This is not to be confused with the trademarks of Sheffield.

The item would measure the rice while it was on the stalk, or off the stalk.

If the rice was the correct size they made more money from it.

The box was gold plated and the instrument could be either silver plated or silver.

The rubber that is on the inside of the box was made from raw rubber plants and dyed during the process.

You have a very nice item that is from around 1840-1865, after which time they made other items such as screens to do the measurements.

Hope this helps.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Great detective work Tim!!!!!  What a find!  I've never seen one like it, for sure.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

8 hours ago, 2Valen said:

I hope this helps,

A Montreal factory had a company named Henry Birks (1840-1928), they made the instrument that you have found. They used a crown emblem on items because some of the family members were from Sheffield, England. This is not to be confused with the trademarks of Sheffield.

The item would measure the rice while it was on the stalk, or off the stalk.

If the rice was the correct size they made more money from it.

The box was gold plated and the instrument could be either silver plated or silver.

The rubber that is on the inside of the box was made from raw rubber plants and dyed during the process.

You have a very nice item that is from around 1840-1865, after which time they made other items such as screens to do the measurements.

Hope this helps.

That is some awesome detective work and also an incredible find!

• Thanks 1