Gold Nugget Detecting With The MDT 8000

On 6/10/2020 at 9:13 AM, RickUK said:

Steve,will look forward to your review and hopefully not just on wet beaches but also general use  if that is your gameplan,do they ship these detectors to the UK or just mainly the US ?? as the ability to be used on sites littered with iron  does seem to be the main thing that is grabbing my attention,some of my sites are really iron infested roman sites.

Very tempting i must admit,will await your review.

Hi Steve,  yes we do ship the Tarsacci to the UK and we are also offering a special offer on shipping. 

Aaron

• Like 1

Steve, I read your report on your use of the MDT in a "trashy" area and also watched the video you recommended. I was impressed by both accounts. I agree with you though on your thoughts on the size and shape of the coil, that is, it could be smaller and solid rather than an open design for use in looking for gold. Question, "do inventors listen to you at all about your ideas for improvements, I would imagine some do, correct"? What are the chances this detector could be made more "gold friendly"? 

I've worked with Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, and White's on detectors to varying degrees. I'd say engineers and designers follow their preconceptions 90% of the time, and in general are only interested in glaring examples of "this does not work." More often you point out where something could be improved and the answer is "already done, you are right, but too late." Many of the most important design decisions seem locked in place before an outsider ever gets a chance to comment.

But I've managed to get a thing done here and there so really can't complain. I'm honored to have been given a shot at having at least a little input.

My thought on the coil is nothing special. nearly all VLF nugget machines come with a 6" x 10" closed coil for a reason. Machines not designed specifically for nugget detecting but otherwise good at it would benefit from such an accessory coil. But back to the first question, the Minelab Equinox 800 has a superb "Gold Mode" yet no amount of screaming, stomping of feet, or breath holding has yet been able to pry such a coil out of Minelab. And they have the mold already. They just refuse to do it.