A Little Ghost Towning In Nevada

That is what the western    USA hunters  have    over us  east folk is there great tokens.One lucky hunter with a whites found a token  from the great mining town of Bodie California. It is worth  thousands.That town is over 8000' in elevation.They also have their gold nuggets, more gold coins,and more abundant s mint coins.I  heard one guy with a  Garrett found a  private  mint gold coin  worth hundreds of  thousands of dollars. Tom will tell you, we have are large cents. 

First, a 'Congratulations' to UtahRich and OregonGregg for their success on the recent 12th WTHO held out of Wells, Nevada.  I will correct Rich's post as I recalled one more attendee I forgot to list and that brought us to 19 participants.  Our 'average' for the first 11 WTHO's was '17' to '25' per outing, so considering the effects of the covid virus and people altering their travel plans, I think we had a good showing.

Only one of the prior '11' Outings was more of an urban Coin Hunting get-together, and the rest have been ghost ton based were we got to enjoy the challenges of tackling some of the nastiest amounts of iron nails and other Ferrous and Non-Ferrous debris.   Two of those 10 ghost town outi9ngs have been based out of Vale, Oregon where we hunted three gold mining era ghost towns and one farm and ranch townsite.  The others have all bee held in Nevada and we've used Wendover, Montello and Wells as out 'base-points.'

The WTHO's are a no-charge, come-at-your-will outings and can challenge those who have mainly been 'city-shooters' who just go after coins and jewelry in parks and schools and yards.  It can be an awakening.  Why, they can even be a challenge for a lot of remote area gold nugget hunters who also enjoy some of the vast Nevada territory.  Why, I even hear tell there are one or two such people on these Forums who kind of hang out in the Reno area .... sure would be nice if they came and joined us on an Outing sometime.  I even own my 2nd Nokta FORS Core that I bought from someone about four years ago that works great!  I'd even be kind enough to loan it to him --- if he's make a future get-together.:sleep:

As Rich and Gregg mentioned, it's not just fun to try and find a good keeper or two for ourselves, but it is interesting to what others at work.  Note their detector and coil choice, and the way they put them to work in the think sagebrush, dense weeds, open spaces, and around a lot of debris and building rubble.  Educational might be a good term for that, and at times also entertaining.

Due to a health matter I wasn't able to stay for the entire outing so I missed meting up with several of the new-comers and returning regulars, but as a who I am sure most enjoyed the great bunch of people who participate in the WTHO's.  So, I am kicking back here at home in Eastern Oregon, keeping my foot elevated and wishing for a speedy recovery so I can get back out there detecting soon.

It's always interesting to note some of the found targets, such as several coin-purse clasps on this Outing, and some nice early Military Buttons and uniqueries..  If you'd like to join the fun sometime in the future, just shoot me an e-mail and let me know you'd like to be added to the WTHO Contact List.  get to meet some3 of these3 interesting people, like UtahRich and OregonGregg in person.  That, also, can be quite entertaining, too.

Monte

• Like 6

This was the first year I have attended a WTHO event. I had a great time and meet a great bunch of guys. I didn't get to the hunt until Thursday and by then Monte had left so I didn't get to meet him, but there's always next time. OregonGregg cleaned up with some great finds and made the rest of use feel inadequate, LOL. The 2 cent piece Rich found was great too and I have yet to find one of those.

Thursday I focused on hunting Cobre with my Deus 9" HF coil and got skunked other than your typical ghost town stuff like lantern parts, clasps, suspender parts,  buttons, etc.

Friday I spent the day hunting Toano with my Deus again and happened to find an 1887 IHP within the first 5 minutes of arriving. With a find so quick I thought it was going to be a productive day. But other than a purse clasp and a rosette i just found your typical ghost town stuff the rest of the day.

Saturday I went with James a friend of mine that came along, to a military camp that was in the area. I used the Equinox 800 with the 11" coil that day. The weather was good until about 11:30 when it started to rain pretty hard for about 2 hours. We got in a little hunting before it hit and then waited it out and ate lunch in the truck. About 1:30 we were able to get back out and and hunting for another few hours. We dug lots of shell casings, 50-70, 45-70, 45-50, and .44 colts. I dug the base of a Military dress cap, 1 GS cuff button, 4 GS coat buttons, Eagle I coat and a bucket lister for me a Eagle C overcoat button.

Sunday on the way home I stopped at Shafter for a few hours, using the Deus I found a few buttons and a Colorado Tax Token.

Overall had a great time and look forward to the next WTHO

IHPtoken.jpg

Misc.jpg

Military.jpg

EagleC.jpg

EagleI.jpg

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Monte said:

The WTHO's are a no-charge, come-at-your-will outings and can challenge those who have mainly been 'city-shooters' who just go after coins and jewelry in parks and schools and yards.  It can be an awakening.  Why, they can even be a challenge for a lot of remote area gold nugget hunters who also enjoy some of the vast Nevada territory.  Why, I even hear tell there are one or two such people on these Forums who kind of hang out in the Reno area .... sure would be nice if they came and joined us on an Outing sometime.  I even own my 2nd Nokta FORS Core that I bought from someone about four years ago that works great!  I'd even be kind enough to loan it to him --- if he's make a future get-together.:sleep:

Hi Monte,

I have to admit this was not on my radar at all. I do not pay much attention to what other people are doing or outings since I have so many places on my own list where I want to go. There are always some that are next up, just waiting for when I get the time.

Then there is that pesky virus thing. Right now I have zero desire to be hanging out with other people and so any group stuff is just not going to be happening in my world this year.

Due to the above I was not paying attention, but next time you all have something similar coming up I will try to be more mindful and give it a go if at all possible. Thanks for the kind thought. :smile:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Rich - Great to hear you had a good outing. Wish I could have made it this year. Looking forward to the next WTHO.

Thanks Tom, 

We missed you and several others that were hoping to make it.  I felt fortunate to be able to coincide some vacation time at work with the dates that were scheduled.

And  this virus thing going around has made everyday  life / work challenging and difficult for such simple things as trying to get away for some recreation like detecting.

Let's hope a resolution to this virus comes about quickly.

Rich -

Abenson -  Next time don't bother digging the coin purse hardware. Just dig the leather pouch with the silver and gold coins still in it. 😁