Big Iron Avoidance Tactics?

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, after 45 years of detecting I get fooled also. There will always be questionable targets. I get ones that are real borderline, and I’m pretty sure they are ferrous. The thing is, we are out there to metal detect, and that means digging stuff up sometimes to see what it is. So I figure, hey, why not, and dig it up. And it’s usually junk. But every once in a while it is not. What I’m trying to say is that in my opinion, if you are not digging a little junk you are not trying hard enough. I look for reasons to dig, not reasons to avoid digging. I think some of the less successful among us are those who cannot tolerate digging junk, so they use high discrimination settings and cherry pick the targets. They are the people that say a park is hunted out. Then people like me go in and recover all the finds they left behind. So don’t worry about digging a little junk... it’s a good thing! :smile:

I don't mind getting fooled a few times as long as I make a good find.In  certain spots  it pays to go for ugly  signals.I was  using my 10' 7kz  xterra coil which was not best choice since ring  targets were   nickel hits.I  got a deep soft iron  hit and  dug my 7th Jesuit ring.It was the only ring that  day since we pounded that  area before  .My  friends got no rings.

• Like 1