Virus Update: Sharp Drop In Coins On Cashless Island..

When the coronavirus reached Queensland, Magnetic Island decided to go cashless. Cards only! This has led to a sharp drop in the amount of coins recovered, a severe enough situation to take a serious hit on my weekly beer money.. I’m not the only one complaining, other beach hunters on the island are in similar strife.. The virus outbreak has been a double whammy for us; not only are there no more coins to be found, there’s also no more tourists who could otherwise be counted on to lose their jewellery in the sea.. Are we the only ones suffering from this dreadful dilemma? Or are the rest of you in as much grief as we are?

Having said this, there has been a bit of a silver lining.. I’ve been forced to get creative and am now hitting the island’s historical sites.. So far I’ve found a few more old pennies and shillings at the old school (a wooden structure with a palm thatched roof first established in the late 1800s).. I’ve also been back in the hills with Foxy Noxy and its new 6’’ coil to go over the old gold diggings.. No luck yet but I’m ever hopeful, getting a better feel for the island’s geology and how it all fits in with where the gold diggings are situated.. I’m casting my net a lot wider to include obvious creek catchments and the surrounding hills..      

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The pandemic has accelerated trends that were already occurring as far as moving to a cashless society. I have to admit I’m obsessive in using my credit card to pay for everything to rack up free airline tickets. Studies have shown paper money to be absolutely filthy - you may as well grab a bag of germs. And I don’t like getting change back, especially the dreaded zinc penny. So I am one of the culprits.

But nothing stops finds like stopping people activity. That is the key to metal detecting, especially for jewelry... going where people are active. So I have no doubt the shutdowns put a halt to new drops of any sort, and have lead to one of the poorest seasons ever for beach hunters.

I’m more worried about the trend away from traditional jewelry. All this carbide and tungsten and even plastic jewelry - not good!

• Like 2

Yeah, i too, just posted on another thread about the lack of beach finds!!😞 But i won't miss paper money or pennies when they are gone! Although, it is nice to find wind blown cash, hung up in the seaoats, at the beach! I am a true "money launderer" now with the cash! But hey, if you need a used e-cigarette, i seem to be finding those on a regular basis now! 😂  👍👍

• Like 1

Erik, i have a question,

If it's Magnetic Island, how do your ATM and Credit cards still work??😂🤣👍👍

• Haha 3