More Zeducation

Condor

I know Lunk covered this last spring, but I want to reiterate. This morning I got the classic faint mew tone, repeatable in both directions. This is the kind of tone we live for, I knew it was gold because I was out of the trash zone and it was obviously not a surface target. I was running HY, Normal, smoothing off, gain 12. I decided to play with the settings a little. First I switched to HY, Difficult, same sensitivity. The target was barely audible and I doubt that if I was in regular prospecting mode it would have been sufficient to stop me. I already knew it was there, so I had too much advanced knowledge. Then I switched to General,Normal, same sensitivity. The target was still very clear. I toggled back and forth, clearly the Difficult setting faded the target. Low Smoothing had little effect, but I was in very quiet ground. My conclusion, at least for this quiet ground in Sunny Yuma, use Difficult as a last resort. The nugget was about 5 inches deep.

Lucky,

Ya but, the other day I hit an area that had the gold bearing gravel overlaying a bed of red clay. That poor Zed was howling and growling so much I could scarcely get the coil down. Had to settle for General, Difficult and still suffered. The auto ground balance gave me a negative ground balance so that anytime I raised the coil it added to the unbearable noise. I gave up in short order and moved back to more forgiving terrain. It has its limitations, but I'm having a great time knocking down the dinks.

• Like 1

Nobody ever got famous for riding a gentle horse.

I was hangin' 'round town, just spendin' my time

Out of a job, not earnin' a dime

A feller steps up and he said, "I suppose

You're a bronc fighter from looks of your clothes."

"You figures me right, I'm a good one." I claim

"Do you happen to have any bad ones to tame?"

Said "He's got one, a bad one to buck

At throwin' good riders, he's had lots of luck."

Strawberry Roan - Marty Robbins

Stick with it.

Link for,the rest of the lyrics

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/martyrobbins/thestrawberryroan.html

My daddy's favorite song, he came from Medina County TX - he was no bronk rider, but he knew some - and he loved Cowboy music.

Good post Condor, and nice nugget. Althogh the Difficult Ground Type does attenuate signal, it still out performs the Fine Gold timing of the GPX 5000. Don't be afraid to try the Severe Ground Type if the ground is really bad; I've been able to find nuggets in ground that was previously unhuntable even with the GPX 5000.

• Like 1

I know Lunk covered this last spring, but I want to reiterate. This morning I got the classic faint mew tone, repeatable in both directions. This is the kind of tone we live for, I knew it was gold because I was out of the trash zone and it was obviously not a surface target. I was running HY, Normal, smoothing off, gain 12. I decided to play with the settings a little. First I switched to HY, Difficult, same sensitivity. The target was barely audible and I doubt that if I was in regular prospecting mode it would have been sufficient to stop me. I already knew it was there, so I had too much advanced knowledge. Then I switched to General,Normal, same sensitivity. The target was still very clear. I toggled back and forth, clearly the Difficult setting faded the target. Low Smoothing had little effect, but I was in very quiet ground. My conclusion, at least for this quiet ground in Sunny Yuma, use Difficult as a last resort. The nugget was about 5 inches deep.

What's the default gain setting on the GPZ? That's one thing I haven't touched since owning it.

Condor,

Your more than right, ground conditions may have a detectorist seek a different setting. I've found nuggets in all the settings, yet High Yield/Normal is my go to setting. You can't run the GPZ wrong unless it's not turned on! Until the next hunt

LuckyLundy

• Like 1