Fisher Impulse And The " No Holes " Claim

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So if I adjust a TDI so the ground balance is mid-range, we have a hole. But if I adjust it to either extreme, I’m just rejecting the top end or the low end. It no longer a hole, but a cut off! :smile:

Semantics, my friends, semantics.

I’m amazed you guys put up with me. I drive my wife crazy at times, now you know why! :laugh:

With a TDI no matter how you adjust your ground balance you will have a hole in the conductivity scale, and therefore some gold targets will be invisible. Or you will lose 50% of sensitivity on heavy gold ring

With AQ It's not the case !

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vive equinox said:

in the end what is the interest of the mute and tone modes? they seem almost anecdotal or even secondary since one might think that it is not really beginners who will use this detector.

It's true, but in some very polluted areas it makes it easier to sort and detect gold under the iron.

I did an experiment several years ago in TONE mode in an extremely polluted place on 600 holes I detected 30% of non-ferrous target below ferrous target.

Impossible to make that in ALL METAL mode

I confirm that MUTE mode is less interesting for the expert. (Only if you want to cut a light magnetic ground without using the VOLCANIC SAND MODE)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vive equinox said:

Although I do not know this white, this vdi so high surprised me ...

out of curiosity , do you know the scale of euros with this white? I guess we obviously don’t lose them with AQ

You have said in the past that the AQ does not discriminate red centimes euros, but what about when they are all corroded and swollen as it is in the sand?

The IMPULSE AQ is not a coinshooter, durind this years of development I never tested in detail the coins ....

If someone wants to detect coins he must detect with an equinox or ...

But they will lose 60% sensitivity on 2.5grs 18k gold ring if we compare to the IMPULSE AQ on wet sand.

SEE HERE

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

The range of VDI with your 800 is not the same moreover it is too tight to be valid.

If you take an ingot of one kilo it will be in the upper part so it will be rejected in MUTE, detected in TONE MODE with a low tone.

These detection modes are really made for beginners, because the expert detects in ALL METAL mode and 99% of ferrous metals are easily identified with a double beep.

Ok, I like that my 'example' would be too tight.  I used it just as a quick 'analogy' because sometimes the shape of the gold (ring) will change the VDI.  I hunt all metal (horseshoe off) and some of my gold targets start out in the fringe as negative until I've dug down several inches.

I agree a more solid piece of gold will have different numbers as well as 18k vs 10k.

We'll just wait on what Steve has to say.

Will Platinum be “captured” in any other mode except All Metal. 
Potentially losing “big gold” would also force me into All Metal.......and that is fine by me. I have very little iron junk on my beaches which is also a bonus.

Now where is that AQ Lite version......it only needs three knobs and just the one search mode 😜

PS....if anyone hasn’t seen Joe’s beach test with the nickel then you really to need to check it out........ It smokes the TDIBH on that test.......the benchmark for a nickel has a new champion. I couldn’t be happier.👍

• Like 1

I am having a hard time reconciling “there are no holes” with “most U.S. coins are lost if you disc out ferrous.” Yet I am also more than happy to concede that Carl’s technical expertise and knowledge are an elephant to my gnats arse. If he says in his opinion the AQ lacks a hole as it would normally be thought of in the technical sense, I bow to him on that issue.

For me all I have ever wanted was Aquastar type power in a 21st century package. All that matters to me is the raw depth. Any, and I mean any, discrimination capability is pure gravy as far as I am concerned. I never turned on the disc on my GP and GPX detectors. I just did not trust it, still don’t. I will experiment with the disc on the AQ just to learn what it can do, but suspect I will prefer using the machine in all metal mode most of the time. It’s just a cleaner, simpler mode of detecting for me. Seriously, after digging holes in tailing piles day in and day out, junk for days on end for a nugget or two, beach and water detecting is a literal walk in the park. Digging in sand... what a treat!

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Killer unit.....low tide hard pan and general beach hunting. Full power in deeper and rougher water might be too much gun unless Steve can roll out one of those pontoon dredges with a 4” suction hose.....🤠

Calm waters or lakes then be prepared to seriously dig.....hard pack sand or clay will give you a serious workout...no need for those Gym memberships anymore.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's what convinced me to give beach detecting a shot, easy on the old back and seeing my foot can sink with one step a decent part of the depth my detector can achieve I don't see sand as an issue.  So far it's looking like Fisher and notably Alexandre have given people a decent detector.  👍

“Easy on the old back”..........Simon is going to get a reality check if you end up with an AQ 😅😅😅😅

• Haha 3