Xp Orx Coming

Tometusns

That Mi-6 Pin pointer with the ORX is GREAT! The best Pin Pointer I've ever used. Not that I've used them all but I much prefer it to the Garretts or White's TRX. Rechargeable, Waterproof, Adjustable, Sensitive, and you can even use the detector to find it if you forget and leave it at your last target, what's not to like about it?   I have the two HF Coils and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. They each have their place. I've been super happy with my Nox 800 but after I got my Orx I haven't used the Nox. Not because the Orx is better, but it's just so fun to use. It's so lightweight, the wireless coils make changing them super easy, and the detector is the fastest I've ever used. Wish I had gotten the Deus when they came out. All that said, the Nox 800 and the ORX have me covered for my type of hunting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Slick said:

That Mi-6 Pin pointer with the ORX is GREAT! The best Pin Pointer I've ever used. Not that I've used them all but I much prefer it to the Garretts or White's TRX. Rechargeable, Waterproof, Adjustable, Sensitive, and you can even use the detector to find it if you forget and leave it at your last target, what's not to like about it?   I have the two HF Coils and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. They each have their place. I've been super happy with my Nox 800 but after I got my Orx I haven't used the Nox. Not because the Orx is better, but it's just so fun to use. It's so lightweight, the wireless coils make changing them super easy, and the detector is the fastest I've ever used. Wish I had gotten the Deus when they came out. All that said, the Nox 800 and the ORX have me covered for my type of hunting. 

Tom, 

I'm feeling the same way. Those are my only two detectors. I've owned a bunch but I fell like these two will take care of all my hunting needs as well. I love my 800 but the ORX sure is fun to use. In the next month or so I'll be getting an 11" coil... either the HF or X35. I haven't decided for sure which one yet.

Tom

There is no 11" HF coil. The HF coils come in the 9" round and the 5X9.5" Elliptical coil. If you want a 11" coil you'll have to go with the X35 .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

There is no 11" HF coil. The HF coils come in the 9" round and the 5X9.5" Elliptical coil. If you want a 11" coil you'll have to go with the X35 .

Looks liked the x35 it is.lol..Thanks Tom I guess I hadn't got that far into my research.

Now get yourself a ws4 headphone, pair it to your coil and remove the ORX remote and you now have a Deus lite. Thats what I will run.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

Now get yourself a ws4 headphone, pair it to your coil and remove the ORX remote and you now have a Deus lite. Thats what I will run.

Hmm never thought about that.

8 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

Hi George,  Never even thought of that. I have the Orx and I’ve considered Trying to find a Deus remote, but figured too many settings. I remember you saying on Mike Haer’s podcast that the Deus is great but too many button presses which is what you liked about the Orx. And the headphone would be less convenient to use than the remote is so what does the Deus lite give you over the Orx?  I have been wearing the Orx remote an my wrist, so swinging the Orx is as easy as it could be. Your endorsement of the Orx was the main reason I got one. Now I have 2 and 4 coils. 

17 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

Ok George, now you got me to thinking...lol 

I thought the coil did the work and just sent the signal to the headphones and controller or in the case of the deus lite.. coil to headphones. I know there are some adjustments with the headphones you can make but what is the advantage in doing that. Thanks, Tom

The Deus can indeed be run with just the headphones and the coil.  In fact, UK users often detect only with the headphone and coil because their soil does not require a lot of continuous adjustments and the hunters detect primarily by audio and not target ID, digging all non-ferrous.  So they usually leave the remote in the car.  There are pros and cons to Deus lite that I will try to explain below.

First of all, I have run the Deus lite setup but mainly as a backup when I need an extra detector for the kids or a guest.  Deus lite is also not just limited to WS4 phones.  You can run Deus lite with WS5 phones too.  I like the WS4 phones however because the puck is detachable which means you can configure it to attach to not just the back phones but also to third party over the ear headphones that can accommodate the puck.  Also there are adapters you can install on the puck to give you a standard mini or 1/4 inch headphone jack into which you can plug your favorite wired phones.  You can then stick the puck in your pocket or mount it on the stem or on your wrist using available XP accessories.  In that manner you can read target ID off the WS4 puck display.

If you have two Deus coils, a Deus remote and Deus wireless haedphones - you basically have two Deus lite detector systems.  One using just the headphones and one coil and the other using the other coil, the remote and a set of wired headphones plugged into  the remote control (or you can just run with the remote control speaker - no volume control, however).  That is the flexibility inherent in the Deus wireless system universe, multiple configuration possibilites.  

Deus lite makes a great backup mode, but I learned early on, that is not a great way to get introduced to the Deus and can be a frustrating configuration for the long haul.  More on that later.  First let me explain the interrelationship between the Deus system components.

The Deus system is comprised of the coil, the controller, wireless or wired headphones, and the optional wireless pinpointer.  I will ignore the pinpointer for the purpose of this discussion.  The coil, controller, and wireless phones are all powered by dedicated lithium power cells, therefore, you need to charge each one separately if you want to use them on a hunt.

The coil contains the "brains".  That where the custom programs are actually stored not on the controller.  The controller simply serves as an interface by which the user can adjust global settings (e.g., coil in use, speaker audio, pair coils, heaphones, and the pinpointer, etc.).  The remote also serves as the means by which changes to coil program settings are adjusted and then saved to the coil resulting in either "on the fly" changes in settings (e.g., frequency or sensitivity or ground balance) or to save custom settings so they can be recalled after the detector is shut off (settings remain in volatile memory for the duration of thee hunt and then disappear if they are not saved).  The Deus affords the user 8 custom program slots to go along with the 10 preloaded program slots  You can change parameters in the preloaded program slots but those changes will disappear after power down unless you save them in a custom slot.  The remote also serves the purpose of being the conduit of audio to the wired or wireless headphones (as received from the coil) unless the wireless headphones connect directly to the  coil in the absence of the controller (i.e., the Deus lite configuration).  The remote serves as primary the user interface to adjust settings, to view target ID information and ground balance, mineralization, depth, and current parameter setting information (e.g., frequency, sensitivity level, etc.) and to switch the coil into pinpoint mode.  Finally, you MUST HAVE a remote control unit to upload system software updates for the remote, coil, and headphones.

So in summary, if you just have the WS4 or WS5 phones, you do have the ability to access and adjust several detector parameter settings such as coil selection, program selection (including both preloaded programs and any saved custom programs), volume, discrimination, sensitivity, reactivity (recovery speed), transmit power, audio modulation level, iron volume, ground balance and number of ID tones used.  It will also display target ID if it is connected to the coil without the remote.  What you cannot do is, save custom programs, go into coil pinpoint mode, observe ground balance or mineralization readings in real time, observe useful graphical information on ferrous target probability or depth, or the X-Y screen which can help ID junk targets.  It also limits your ability to easily do target interrogation by quickly changing settings or programs when swinging above a target.  You also can't update your coils or headphones without the remote.  In other words, if you already have a remote, the lite setup is a good backup, grab and go mode, but not something I would recommend as a long-haul Deus configuration because you lose the capability to do some significant things like updates and saving custom programs as well as having to live with some significant user interface limitations on target ID and site conditions.

This is all spelled out well in Andy Sabisch's Deus Handbook and Andy and I teach these nuances in the Deus bootcamp sessions that Andy periodically gives around the country (I routinely assist Andy as an instructor when he does a Bootcamp sessions within a reasonable distance of my location).

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1