Xp Orx Coming

Tometusns

The Deus Lite setup is awesome IF you are detecting open fields with little or no modern trash, gold prospecting, hunting in some iron infestation and in dry/slightly wet sand. In moderate to heavy modern aluminum trash it is not much fun especially on low to mid conductors deeper than 4" or so.  Unless you have the remote, you lose lots of great feature possibilities for custom programming. The latest 5.2 update and the added expert settings are very good.

Jeff

• Like 2

I have the orx that I'm trying to learn now. I hadn't planned on getting a deus. George suggested getting the ws4's to make a deus lite. I just wondered if there would be some kind of advantage over the orx in doing that. Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tometusns said:

I have the orx that I'm trying to learn now. I hadn't planned on getting a deus. George suggested getting the ws4's to make a deus lite. I just wondered if there would be some kind of advantage over the orx in doing that. Thanks!

The only real advantage is that if you have two coils you can basically have 2 detectors as George said.  Other than that, the Deus lite provides very little advantage over the Orx other than a wider selection of tone choices (2, 3, 4, 5, Full, or pitch tones), a wider range of reactivity settings (0 to 5),  ability to control the silencer filter directly, ability to control iron volume, and ability to switch ID norm off.  Compared to Orx, you lose the visual target ID and other display information, coil pinpoint mode, and the convenient ground grab feature.  Not really worth the $250 investment IMO unless you value the backup detector aspect.

• Thanks 1

It's worth it to me to get the extra programs on WS4 5.2. Sometimes I just like to use both. I bought my WS4 for 90.00 used. Worth the investment to me. I'm a tone guy all the way. Keep digging.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

It's worth it to me to get the extra programs on WS4 5.2. Sometimes I just like to use both. I bought my WS4 for 90.00 used. Worth the investment to me. I'm a tone guy all the way. Keep digging.

If you can find a pair for $90 dollars it certainly would be worth it at that price point but a deal like that does not come along too often, though.  5 years ago, I started with the Deus lite, that lasted a few weeks and opted for a full setup and justified the purchase by getting a second, different coil.  So i am coming from the perspective of knowing what the lite limitations are, and to me, without the benefit of having an ORX system to fall back on back then, I was missing A LOT.  Today, I would dip my toe in the XP water with ORX and decide if Deus was worth it and just getting the WS4 might be worth it for a minimal investment (e.g., 1/3 the new price tag like in your case) to help me decide.  It would not be a permanent stop for me though - the inability to save my settings and take advantage of those custom slots for lack of a remote control would drive me nuts.  The thing I miss most on ORX is lack of pitch tones.  The VCO audio plus use of what the display is telling me (not just target ID but depth/horsehoe ferrous probablity display) are tightly integrated in my style of Deus hunting.  If the ORX simply had pitch audio as an option to 3 tones, I could almost walk away from the Deus altogether save for a few ORX user interface quirks (lack of sufficient custom program slots and inability to switch back and forth between program slots) that also detract from my method of target interrogation.  Lack of ability to switch ID NORM off/on as on Deus is another, secondary annoyance.  On the flip side, the fact that ORX DOES normalize target ID on the HF coils (unlike the Deus) is a good thing.

• Like 1