Knox 800 Error 41 Today!

Joe D.

I was out for a beach hunt this morning for about two hours! Hunted mainly the wet sand! On the return trip back down the beach, i switched to the upper dry sand!

Nothing i haven't done before!

After about ten minutes, i got an Err 41 and the unit shut off! Tried to turn on several times, and the error code would repeat and shut off! Did full reset a few times, but same thing! 

I still had two bars on the battery, so i didn't think it was a power problem! I thought maybe an overheat problem in the coil or control head! Went back to the surf to cool the coil off! And kept the control head in my shadow as i walked back down the beach to the stairs (about 8 minutes)! Tried turning the unit back on, and presto! It was working again! I detected another 5 or so minutes without any more issues!

OK all, any ideas for the issue! And what is Err 41?? I can't find a reference!     

Thanks!!👍👍

Per the Manual:

System error code 'Er' will be accompanied by an error code number shown on the Frequency Display. The detector will shut down 5 seconds after reporting a system error.

In the event of a system error, please follow these steps:

System error             
1. Restart the detector to determine if the error still remains.

2.  Confirm the coil is attached correctly.

3.  If the error persists, perform a factory reset by pressing and holding in the Power button for 5 seconds. 4. If the error still remains, please return the detector to your nearest Authorized Service Center for repair.

• Like 5

Send it in to be checked.  Minelab will take care of it.

• Like 2

I'm going to mess with it in morning! I will charge and see if the Er 41 is repeatable! But more than likely, i will still box it up for a trip home!  It's not like I've been killing it at the beach lately anyway!👍👍

Hey Tom,

Thanks for asking!

I went over it from top to bottom, after i got home and cleaned it up from the beach that day! I used it again last week in a fresh water hunt, and had no issues! I'm still of the opinion that it was a heat issue, but as of yet, i have no proof!  I plan on duplicating the conditions soon to see if it is repeatable! Than i will contact ML to send it back for a checkup! 

I've been reading so much good Nox info on the forum lately, that I'm "chomping at the bit" to hunt some more; even with this miserable heat here in SF!  But i will update here, if i find out anymore!👍👍

2 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Tom,

Thanks for asking! I went over it from top to bottom, after i got home and cleaned it up from the beach that day! I used it again last week in a fresh water hunt, and had no issues! I'm still of the opinion that it was a heat issue, but as of yet, i have no proof!  I plan on duplicating the conditions soon to see if it is repeatable! Than i will contact ML to send it back for a checkup! 

I've been reading so much good Knox info on the forum lately, that I'm "chomping at the bit" to hunt some more; even with this miserable heat here in SF!  But i will update here, if i find out anymore!👍👍

For what it is worth, hunted in Mexico for over three months with two different 800's. 90's everyday direct sun, midday. No issues. 

• Like 1

I hunt in Arizona where 90 degrees would be a nice cool day here in the summer. I've never had a problem with heat either with my Nox 800. 

• Like 1

Did you have a protective cover over the control box...one that covered the speaker vents in the back?

That happened to me while hunting on a hot day in the Florida keys.  Although mine didn’t read err 41, it started acting abnormally.  I removed the cover, let it cool down and all was back to normal.

After I got home, I cut the back out of my cover exposing the vents and haven’t had a problem since and I hunt in the Florida summer heat.

• Like 1

It could be the humidity, combined with with heat! Maybe the differential of taking it from A/C inside my house to outdoors! Sort of like the way my glasses fog up when i go outside! I did check the battery compartment for moisture after cleaning, but did not find any!

I Don't know! Unless ML will tell me what Er 41 is! I will email them and ask! I just figured they would just say send it in for a check!👍👍