Fisher Impulse AQ Limited - First Impression

25 minutes ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

No it is impossible due to the certification of the battery. It would be necessary to invest 100,000 USD in the certification of this few units battery which will be finally replaced in a few months.

What does it mean "replaced in a few months"?

Just now, Badger-NH said:

What does it mean "replaced in a few months"?

After this limited series there will be a worldwide series and the mechanics will be partially changed, the batteries are part of the change.

Good Luck Tomorrow Steve!💍👑📿

👍👍

• Thanks 1

If I find anything it will be accidental. But then that’s how a lot of my beach detecting goes. :smile: I will hit the dry beach first before things get busy. Want to get used to machine responses on dry land. I’ll hunt all metal, then cross check in disc mode. Dig everything. Run first battery dead. Beach should be getting busy by then, will switch to water. I’ve hunted Sand Harbor a few times before, only found one decent ring there so far so not expecting anything amazing. Most of it is bottomless sand. I’m more interested in how the machine runs and sounds, how it handles the black sand and hot rocks, etc., than anything else, so will be spending more time analyzing targets than would be my norm. But hey, you never know, might get lucky... that’s beach hunting.

Tahoe even when it is warm is pretty cool water. The rich folks with the serious bling tend to head for warmer water. I’ve seen quite a selection of Tahoe gold found by others, and gems are very rare. Mostly more plain common gold jewelry, the kind a younger crowd would wear. And unfortunately the younger folks these days are not wearing gold jewelry as much as they used to.

equinox-tahoe-2.jpg

• Like 6

Hope you have a good hunt and the machine runs flawlessly. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

equinox-tahoe-2.jpg

Steve just for info , what are the soil/sand characteristics at Tahoe beach ? Is it low mineralized , is it salted ?  Just to know your conditions of testing .. I saw somewhere in the forum that the AQ would be deeper on wet salt beach than on low mineralized dry ground , this is why I ask the question … Thx  

I will not be hunting saltwater with the Impulse in the near future but instead local freshwater lakes. The coast is farther than I want to drive for now.  Lake Tahoe is a freshwater lake, with beaches made up from material derived from granitic rock. It is a very large lake, with 72 miles of shoreline. Most beaches are pebble beaches. Sand Harbor is a one of the rare sandy beaches on the lake. The sand is heavily laced with magnetite that will greatly inhibit or overload and shut down most VLF detectors. Metamorphic and volcanic hot rocks are also fairly common on the lake. https://www.earthmagazine.org/article/travels-geology-lake-tahoe-jewel-sierra-nevada

magnetic-black-sand-beach-magnetite.jpg
Black sand (magnetite) layers exposed on beach

magnetite-black-sands-on-beach.jpg
Closeup of magnetite black sand. Note dark gun metal granular nature of the sand. Highly magnetic.

This is a magnet that has been dropped onto the sand and picked back up - a golf ball size lump of magnetite.

lake-tahoe-magnetite-sand-ball.jpg

Most of the soils in my area have a high magnetic component, and most VLF detectors get roughly 60% of the depth normally quoted on most U.S. forums. A ten inch dime here is a bit of a joke... more like 5-6 inches. This beach is particularly bad, and will send the Equinox into almost continuous Beach overload mode. Other modes have to have sensitivity drastically reduced or the machine basically shuts down.

Difficult Areas – Black Sand
Some beaches contain black sand, which has high natural iron content and is often magnetic. This causes continuous false ferrous detections, making normal beach detecting impossible. Beach Mode automatically senses black sand and reduces the transmit power to ensure that targets can still be detected without overloading occurring. When black sand is sensed, the Beach Overload Indicator will appear on the LCD. When this icon disappears, full transmit power automatically resumes.

minelab-equinox-beach-2-mode.jpg
garrett-atx-lake-tahoe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4