Found This Stuff My First Year Detecting

Is it worth saving?

image.jpg

Found in my yard, house built in 1940. It was the only old coin found in the yard. Hit it a little on the back, but I’m happy. Let me know what you think.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Optix said:

I think it would be better if you posted all your findings in the same post instead of making one for each item.

I agree, no need for a new post every two hours scattered all over the place. I have merged them all into one thread. Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

I’m sorry, Steve. I didn’t know about that. I’m new here. I will turn it down a little

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

Found in my yard, house built in 1940. It was the only old coin found in the yard. Hit it a little on the back, but I’m happy. Let me know what you think.

Welcome to the forum TH5!

USA Standling Liberty quarter minted in the the years 1916 through 1930 at three mints (Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco).  The date has worn off yours (it should be below lady liberty's foot).  If it had a mintmark ('D' for Denver, 'S' for SF) it would have been next the star to the left of lady liberty's foot (our left, her right).

SLQ_mm.jpeg.254b306466c560480fc6ab53d2b5e4e4.jpeg

That's not a common find (I still haven't snagged one in five years of coin detecting).  With the date worn off it has only bullion value (around $3.00 at current silver spot price) and sentimental value.  Still a nice find.  I bet there are more coins in that yard, though, particularly pennies.  Give it another try.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:56 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Welcome to the forum TH5!

USA Standling Liberty quarter minted in the the years 1916 through 1930 at three mints (Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco).  The date has worn off yours (it should be below lady liberty's foot).  If it had a mintmark ('D' for Denver, 'S' for SF) it would have been next the star to the left of lady liberty's foot (our left, her right).

SLQ_mm.jpeg.254b306466c560480fc6ab53d2b5e4e4.jpeg

That's not a common find (I still haven't snagged one in five years of coin detecting).  With the date worn off it has only bullion value (around $3.00 at current silver spot price) and sentimental value.  Still a nice find.  I bet there are more coins in that yard, though, particularly pennies.  Give it another try.

Thanks for the info. I knew a little about the quarter. My grandfather did a lot of ground work in the front yard. The dirt was moved around, but no new dirt added. I found this on the untouched side of the yard. I found this last June, and have done a lot of detecting since. I did find other coins, the oldest 1969. I am very lucky to find it in my first year! Thank you.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, TreasureHunter5 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

This quarter is a nice find.  I love the flying eagle on the back of those.  I have yet to find a silver quarter of any kind.

Is there any sign of a date if you use high magnification and a low angle on the lighting?

If not, it's still old silver from your yard, and that's special.

Good job!