Found This Stuff My First Year Detecting

15 hours ago, CmonNow said:

This quarter is a nice find.  I love the flying eagle on the back of those.  I have yet to find a silver quarter of any kind.

Is there any sign of a date if you use high magnification and a low angle on the lighting?

If not, it's still old silver from your yard, and that's special.

Good job!

Hi, thank you! I have not looked under high magnification, but I’m sure the date is gone. I would say it is from 1918 to 1925, because it is not a rare 1916 or 17, and they fixed the date problem in 1925.  I am really happy to find one of these! Good luck to you on finding one some day!

2 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

I would say it is from 1918 to 1925, because it is not a rare 1916 or 17, and they fixed the date problem in 1925.

The number of, and particularly, density of stars on the shield changed during 1917.  So you can ID the earlier variety by counting those, especially when the date is missing.  I agree, yours is Variety 2, which started partway through 1917 so both varieties were minted that year.

As far as the date being visible after 1925, although they did make an improvement it still wasn't great, so even some of those will have lost their dates.

Years ago there was a chemical you could buy which supposedly would ghost the date of dateless silver coins like the SLQ and Walking Liberty Half.  I don't know how well it worked.  There was also a different chemical for nickels (for Buffalo nickels in particular) and I bought some and it worked.  But recently I bought some again and it failed miserably.

Restoring dates in this way is fun but for the most part doesn't add any value over bullion.

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The number of, and particularly, density of stars on the shield changed during 1917.  So you can ID the earlier variety by counting those, especially when the date is missing.  I agree, yours is Variety 2, which started partway through 1917 so both varieties were minted that year.

As far as the date being visible after 1925, although they did make an improvement it still wasn't great, so even some of those will have lost their dates.

Years ago there was a chemical you could buy which supposedly would ghost the date of dateless silver coins like the SLQ and Walking Liberty Half.  I don't know how well it worked.  There was also a different chemical for nickels (for Buffalo nickels in particular) and I bought some and it worked.  But recently I bought some again and it failed miserably.

Restoring dates in this way is fun but for the most part doesn't add any value over bullion.

Thank you! I never Knew that after 1925 the date would be gone. Thank you for the information! Always great to get more info on stuff!