GPZ Update?

Coota

A post below from an Aussie forum, I have my ground balancing pretty much sorted but do have the occasional hassle in various areas so I hope there is some truth in the rumour!

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t22605-gpz7000-up-date

"Hi fellow 7000 swingers,
I heard on the grapevine today that either tomorrow Friday or next Monday that Minelab will be announcing the release of an up-date for the 7000; something to do with improved tracking/ground balance, the exact details are still under wraps.
Like most here I will be very keen to see what improvement/s they have been able to come up with.
Stay tuned.
Cheers, AUoptimist."

• Like 1

I have confirmed this update to be a ferrite ring that is up to 40% larger. I would be happy if they just sent me a new arm strap that would fit over my cold weather gear. The arm strap would need to be up to 40% longer.

• Like 3

Hmm that'd be cool, I've been waiting to see if they'd do firmware updates, sure seems like that is what the machine is designed for.

Firmware updates leave open the possibility that I brought up before the GPZ was released that future models (8000, 9000, etc) can be entirely software-based in theory and thus much cheaper for those who already own the hardware. It will be interesting to see if this rumor has any meat to it, makes the machine far more versatile if so.

Next stop: custom timings.  :D Just like the app store on your phone, buy a specialized timing for $2.99 and let customers make/sell them, imagine that, not going to happen for obvious reasons but interesting to think about for detecting future.

• Like 1

Certain ground types here in the lower CA mother lode are not very GPZ friendly at the moment.

Wes - what is the problem you have seen?

Hotrocks?

Salty soils that groan?

Or?????

I have seen a few hot rocks (not many) and certainly places where the ground groans, especially in Nevada.

I got that ground groan at one place in the northern part of Rye Patch area.  I had to walk a couple of hundred feet away before I could use it again.

Mitchel

most of the time Zed runs really good and when there is a little salt groan it really does not bother me that much. there are a couple of places where i haven't figured out how to deal with the hot rocks in the high sierra. its a green rock and i'm finding it mostly on the hillsides where the top soil is washed away, it gives me a clean high/low target response when the coil crosses a rock. large boulders give a very broad high low and are easier to identify as a hot rock, only a few areas have enough of these rocks to be  a problem so when I hit a patch i just move on. I've tried ground balancing on top of them and can only quiet the target pitch a little for a very short time, it seems to come right back.

• Like 1

I too have encountered areas here in the Northern Sierras that I could not get the GPZ 7000 to quiet down. I'm guessing the rocks were andesite. They were positive and negative hot rocks. You could somewhat tune a positive rock out, but the negative would still sound off. And vice versa. And basalt is the same. I would put it in difficult, lower the sensitivity, high smoothing, to no avail. Even in severe it was sounding off. But this was in only a few areas. Near some of my proven patches. 99 percent of the time I could run quiet in normal and Difficult.

• Like 2