Airline Travel With A Metal Detector

Traveling to let's say, Mexico, Cabo or Cancun. Going to be using an Equinox 800 on the beach. Going by airline, I assume a hard case, ie: rifle case? Maybe a Pelican. Is this overkill? Do airlines allow this? Is it expensive? Do hotels allow you to hunt on their beaches? Thanks 

I never use special cases when traveling. Thief magnets as far as I am concerned. I just wrap the detector in a towel and pack it in my regular luggage. Or if I have too much detector gear, I have an old beat up Samsonite suitcase I keep specifically for that use.

Most places don’t care about people detecting, but some might run you off unless you are staying there. But I’ve never had a problem. I’m always in early and gone before crowds build. I don’t like getting near people at all, whereas I’ve seen some detectorists practically hunt to a person‘s towel or under their chair while they are sitting there! Good way to cause complaints and get booted.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/15/2020 at 12:32 PM, donP said:

Traveling to let's say, Mexico, Cabo or Cancun. Going to be using an Equinox 800 on the beach. Going by airline, I assume a hard case, ie: rifle case? Maybe a Pelican. Is this overkill? Do airlines allow this? Is it expensive? Do hotels allow you to hunt on their beaches? Thanks 

Just in case anyone looks at this in the future. DO NOT put anything with batteries in your checked luggage.

Bring your batteries in your carryon luggage. The TSA will throw out anything with lithium batteries.  MANY of them can not tell the difference in any batteries. 

35 minutes ago, midalake said:

Just in case anyone looks at this in the future. DO NOT put anything with batteries in your checked luggage.

Bring your batteries in your carryon luggage. The TSA will throw out anything with lithium batteries.  MANY of them can not tell the difference in any batteries. 

Probably good advice just to be on the safe side of not having a “misunderstanding” with TSA.  But just to clarify, the fact is per FAA rules for Domestic travel (linked below) you ARE supposed to be allowed to pack devices with built-in Li Ion batteries in your checked luggage subject to capacity limits and taking precautions to ensure your devices cannot be inadvertently turned on.  However, from a practical sense, that is really not something you can typically ensure with something like a metal detector unless you physically disconnect the battery (but leave it installed in the device) because it IS possible for the switch to be inadvertently depressed while in the luggage to to handling or stuff shifting around in flight. I typically have only travelled with the Deus which can easily be broken down and stowed in a carryon.  If I was traveling with the Equinox, I would simply remove the control head and put it in the carryon and leave the shaft an coil in checked luggage.  Tarsacci - just pull the removable Li Ion battery and put it in the carry on bag. 

Anyway, here are the FAA rules for US domestic flights (so this does not apply to international travel):

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

Bottom line - maximum capacity you are allowed to bring on board per battery = 100 Watt-Hours (Wh)  (an Equinox cell is 18.5 Wh, a GPX large cell is about 63 Wh).  There is no limit to the number you can carry on board as long as the capacity limit is met and the battery remains installed in the electronic device.  In addition, you can carry up to 2 spare batteries less than 100 Wh each, subject to AIRLINE approval.  So if the GPX detachable battery packs are categorized as "spare" Li-Ion batteries can present a problem if the air carrier objects, which is their prerogative (as demonstrated in Steve's GPX Arizona detectorist example).  All "spare" or standalone Li-Ion batteries must be carried on and cannot be in checked luggage.  However, potable electronic devices (metal detectors?) that contain Li-Ion cells less than the 100 Wh capacity limit can be in checked baggage as long as the device is secured and is prevented from inadvertently being turned on and is protected from physical damage.

International rules vary and can be more restrictive than US FAA rules as encountered also first hand by Steve, so your best bet is to discuss the situation with your international carrier ahead of time.

HTH

BTW Watt-Hour is a measure of energy which roughly tells you the potential for fire causing Li Ion material.  A Watt-hour = Operating Terminal Voltage (Volts) x Current Capacity (Amp-Hours).  So a 10,000 mAH (10 AH) capacity alone does not tell you the energy (the parameter of interest to the FAA and airlines), you need to also know the operating terminal voltage which is usually between 3.5 to 22 VDC depending on how the cells are connected

3 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

If I was traveling with the Equinox, I would simply remove the control head and put it in the carryon and leave the shaft an coil in checked luggage.  Tarsacci - just pull the removable Li Ion battery and put it in the carry on bag. 

YES!!!  Protect yourself from the TSA not even knowing their own rules.