New Carbon Shaft From Steveg Arrived!

Bash

3 hours ago, okara gold said:

Have you tried switching arms?  I have gotten pretty good at swinging the coil with either arm. 

I’ve thought about it, not tried it.  I’ve spent a lot of time trying to improve my ergonomics and digging efficiency and on my third finds bag now. I’m left handed and should be able to switch this latest bag to my other side. I may try it but feel the swing might be a little sloppy like when I get tired with my left arm.

Just did not expect with this detector. My F22 seemed fine, my Seahunter not so much... I’m trying a different configuration on it next time I get to use it at beach which is not often.

I’ll finally get a chance to use my 6” this weekend. If that feels a lot better, I may try to rig up some sort of counterweight with the 11” and try that. I’ve been reading some other posts I found on this and if that works, it would be my preferred solution rather than change other things that are working well for me. 

• Like 1

You will love the 6" coil on there, nickeldNdimed, it makes the Nox feel much lighter and easy to swing. After I run with my 6" for a while, I'm really reluctant to go back to the 11" because of the difference in weight and balance.

I know we're getting off topic here, so back to Steve's Shafts, I'm currently talking to him about some ideas for a travel shaft. We'll continue that conversation when he gets back from vacation. 😉

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:06 PM, xlbsa said:

I can't find such a perfect shaft in China!  I really want to have it!

I would be happy to work with you on the purchase of a shaft!  Let me know if I may be of service.

Thanks!

Steve

On 9/1/2020 at 10:19 PM, nickeldNdimed said:

I’ve thought about it, not tried it.  I’ve spent a lot of time trying to improve my ergonomics and digging efficiency and on my third finds bag now. I’m left handed and should be able to switch this latest bag to my other side. I may try it but feel the swing might be a little sloppy like when I get tired with my left arm.

Just did not expect with this detector. My F22 seemed fine, my Seahunter not so much... I’m trying a different configuration on it next time I get to use it at beach which is not often.

I’ll finally get a chance to use my 6” this weekend. If that feels a lot better, I may try to rig up some sort of counterweight with the 11” and try that. I’ve been reading some other posts I found on this and if that works, it would be my preferred solution rather than change other things that are working well for me. 

nickel -- if you "commit" to swinging with your "off hand" for awhile, it will eventually become second nature; you will become just as proficient as you are with your dominant hand, and can then use either one with equal effectiveness.  Years ago, I developed some tendonitis in my "swinging elbow," due to the weight of the Minelab Explorer (which was my go-to machine).  I was forced to learn to swing with my "off hand," and eventually, it became a non-issue.  Now, I can swing with either -- but still tend to use my "off hand" (lefty) most of the time.

Steve

• Like 4

I have a NOX with Steve's shaft and fully loaded counter weight. I find that with the 11" coil, the balance is perfect for my 6 foot frame.

Norm

balancing.jpg

• Like 6

Smile Norm!!

It wasn't that expensive!!🤣👍👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Norm,

Thanks for including that picture; it shows the improved balance very nicely!

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I received my new Equinox shaft from SteveG and here's my impressions.

First, I must say Steve went above and beyond when it came to nailing down what I needed for a shaft. I emailed him about my ideas for a travel shaft and he emailed me back right away, and while on his vacation! My wife would shoot me if I did that. We emailed and chatted on the phone several times until he had all the info he needed to make recommendations. I'm a relative Nox noob, but he took the time to answer all of my questions and even offered very helpful advice about my swing, coils, shaft length, and comfort level, as well as shaft recommendations. His customer service is second to none.

I received my 3 piece travel shaft with counter balance and took it for spin for a few hours yesterday. This thing is gorgeous! I used the 11 coil with no counter balance and it was noticeably easier to swing, but after an hour or so I started to notice the usual fatigue in my arm. It was not as bad as I got with the original ML shaft, but still there. So I decided to put on the counter balance and, like magic, the 11" coil felt like the 6" coil. Even though I added about 12 ounces to the weight, it felt light as a feather. I went on detecting for another couple of hours with no fatigue at all.  It's some kind of sciencey voodoo I tell ya!

So long story short, the counter balance system works well and Steve's craftsmanship is top notch. And after trying a few different shafts, I've found my forever shaft. Thank you for everything Steve!

* UPDATE 10/2/2020 *

I detected with the counter balance system & the 11" coil for a continuous 5 hours yesterday with no breaks to give the rig a full test and I experienced absolutely no arm fatigue at all and no soreness the next morning, well except for my aging knees 😉 Rock solid shaft and perfect balance!

StevesDetectorRods-Equinox.JPEG

• Like 3

CPT_GhostLight --

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and the fantastic review!  I really appreciate the kind words!  What I am the MOST happy about, is the fact that when attaching the counterweight, the machine became "comfortable" for you again, and you were able to continue detecting for another few hours.  THAT is probably the most rewarding part of what I do (aside from meeting some really interesting fellow hobbyists!)

THANK YOU!

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got an Equinox 600 with one of Steve's gold carbon fiber rods set up with a fully loaded counterweight.

I only use the 11" coil and I'm 6'2" and it feels perfectly balanced to me and there is zero flex in the shaft when swinging.  

• Like 2