How Are You Cleaning Your Gold?

Hydrofluoric acid will disolve quartz. It probably won't when put into wink as the potency is diluted, but you still should reduce the time you leave it in it. I have worked with hydrofluoric acid and I came about an inch from getting it on my arm. At that close call, I swore I would never use it again. I was disolving quartz and arsenopyrite (arsenic) off  of a specimen. The stuff I used was a mix of hydrofluoric and nitric acid. Hydrofluoric acid will disolve glass as well as quartz. I have a chapter on this in my book, The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide. Muratic acid won't change the texture of the quartz specimen but will strip all coloration out of it. Manganese, iron etc... It will turn rose quartz snow white.

• Like 2

I roll them into the back of my truck and take them to the local car wash.

But this forums past threads probably have better advise than me. I do highly recommend the white vinegar and salt for smooth worn placer nuggets

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 8:22 AM, flakmagnet said:

I don't do anything at all. They're fine the way they are.

Ditto:tongue: besides that they weigh less after cleaning:cool: Mike C...:ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike C... said:

besides that they weigh less after cleaning

…or in the case of mine, they may disappear entirely...

• Haha 3

Campervan toothbrush and toothpaste, same one I use on me. 

I prefer my gold like my oysters, au natural.   :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2020 at 3:54 AM, Goldseeker5000 said:

Hydrofluoric acid will disolve quartz. It probably won't when put into wink as the potency is diluted, but you still should reduce the time you leave it in it. I have worked with hydrofluoric acid and I came about an inch from getting it on my arm. At that close call, I swore I would never use it again. I was disolving quartz and arsenopyrite (arsenic) off  of a specimen. The stuff I used was a mix of hydrofluoric and nitric acid. Hydrofluoric acid will disolve glass as well as quartz. I have a chapter on this in my book, The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide. Muratic acid won't change the texture of the quartz specimen but will strip all coloration out of it. Manganese, iron etc... It will turn rose quartz snow white.

Whink will dissolve quartz as well as high potency HF, but it takes months instead of minutes. I’ve stuck my finger in the stuff... they sell it in grocery stores. It works on stuff other acids won’t touch, but will frost the quartz or feldspar if left more than 12 overnight so you do need to watch it.