Using Tarsacci’s Salinity Balance To Disc Out Small Foil & Find Small Gold

This is a awesome feature especially for the park and beach hunter, check it out!

Thanks!

Aaron

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

On 6/15/2020 at 9:50 PM, Aaron said:

This is a awesome feature especially for the park and beach hunter, check it out!

Thanks!

Aaron

I tried this on the CTX open screen and it worked. I used 4 pieces of aluminum foil a little bigger than 1 inch  and stacked the on top of the nickel.  I didn’t test to see if it will hit on real small gold.  It even worked  on the ATX when I bumped up the discrimination to max.  Loss sensitivity to tiny gold though.  

The purpose of the test was to show the Tarsacci could show the difference between 2 targets at the same VDI range, (foil/gold), which it does. The nickel is obviously a higher conductor. 

Chase, in my opinion the answer would be NO. Some small foil will be eliminated but there is an endless supply of various sizes and shapes of aluminum trash at a beach. I have noticed that 18kHz "seems" to be a better frequency for hunting in the small aluminum but if your beaches are anything like mine, you will find there is still aluminum to dig....especially in the dry. 

I haven't tried it yet but would like to see if you take one of those small pieces of flattened foil and just bend it up a bit (not in a ball)....I'll bet it doesn't get eliminated as easy.

Cliff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Can you appropriately balance for salinity for a wet salt beach AND adequately cancel small aluminum simultaneously?

I live in Michigan and cannot answer that question. However checkout my latest video where I have tuned the Salinity to disc out both coke and aluminum foil at the same time while still excepting a extremely small hammered coin.

To answer that Chase......ill say it depends on whats and acceptable loss gold wise.  The machine wasnt designed to hit micro gold..... but does well on fairly small gold and excellent on gold rings.   Id have to agree with Cliff.....if your salt balance is correct.... raising it much like over GBing for raw gold hunting you are going to loose some gold that just makes sense.  Ive had to run a high salt balance when playing around with 12khz in the salt water..... that balance being around 44.   It may well balance out very small foil but it does seem to affect the target response.   I tested a good many found targets using both 9 and 12khz.   Over a deep pull tab you get a pretty clear obvious target tone.  When using 12khz with the high SB.....it sounds weaker and shorter something you might miss especially a near target.   Keep in mind im in AM running a very hot machine.   But ..... fresh water just like park hunting is a different beast.   Not enough dissolving of targets or water movement to move a lot of that small foil out of the water.  I assume Aaron is hunting in disc..... and his disc is -30 which keeps targets like iron from wrapping around to high digits in the 28 range.   Hes looking for gold rings and silver to include coins..... and thats a lot of trash......... thus there is an acceptable loss of some targets that may not have a lot of value. 

• Like 2

The salinity control is a filter. Increasing it helps reduce or eliminate some salt or ground signals. It can also act to reduce or eliminate some false signals from ferrous targets. It can also reduce or eliminate some low conductor signals. Lead, aluminum, gold. Eliminating a lot of aluminum signals may be an acceptable trade for the possibility of some lost gold items. It is a trade off based on your experience and basically a little bit of a gamble. It’s really not possible to tune out gold of large size with the salinity control, just more like what people would call micro jewelry. Losing some micro jewelry not to dig pounds of aluminum might be acceptable trade, with size you will still be getting the rings and other desirable and weightier objects.

You could certainly get a good salinity balance for the beach while eliminating some aluminum. You really don’t get a choice. Eliminating the salt signal will take some aluminum with it, along with some gold. The gold/aluminum/salt range overlap, and affecting one will affect the others. What you can not do is tune out the salt entirely without affecting gold or aluminum in any way.

• Like 3

What you can do is tune out the salt entirely without affecting gold or aluminum in any way.

Is this what you ment to say?   As a filter.....anything near that small gold/salt level can be filtered out.   Me and Demitar spoke about small.... which some call micro gold that may not be picked up by the MDT.   He said it wasnt designed for micro gold hunting because speaking to hunters that wasnt what they wanted.  However, i can tell you air testing a lot of tiny gold there was only a couple items the MDT didnt get the Nox did......tiny tiny cross and a small hollow earring ..... but neither did the Xcal or CTX.  So .....like any machine we are working with acceptable loss.   But i believe the depth of this machine .... in the water surely makes up for that loss. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

What you can do is tune out the salt entirely without affecting gold or aluminum in any way.

Is this what you ment to say?

No, and thanks for the catch. What I meant to say is “What you can not do is tune out the salt entirely without affecting gold or aluminum in any way.”

The salinity control directly affects some gold (and aluminum, lead, etc.) items, either reducing or eliminating the signal from them. Not all gold, just the weakest signals.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3523-target-id-vdi-numbers-for-gold-nuggets-and-gold-jewelry/

• Like 2