Iron Grunts Underwater On Non Ferrous Finds Nox 800

Hey folks,

I noticed today, while doing a 7 hour river hunt (Fresh Water), in Northern California (Wine Country), that almost all my targets would give an iron grunt as the coil passed off the target. I thought perhaps there was small iron nearby the target, so I replaced the target (100 yen coin) in a clean spot and swept back and forth, receiving a small grunt here and there. 

I had been hunting in Beach 1 All Metal Mode for the day. I did this so that I could check to see if I had a bear cap, or pull tab by swinging over then pulling off the target to reveal the Iron (Something I read in "The Equinox Serious, by Andy Sabisch) I did notice that discriminating -9 - 0 It obviously did away with the grunts, but my question is, what would cause that? 

My sensitivity ranged for 10-20. The Iron Bias was set to 0, and also 4 (with similar results) I noise canceled frequently, and did a ground balance every now and then as well. My recovery delay was 4, or 5. In case any of these settings would cause it. 

I'm very much a novice, with less then a year experience, and have never hunted extensively in water. I know alot of you guys know your stuff, so I figured I'd see what kind of answers I could get here. Hopefully I gave all the pertinent information. I appreciate your answers, and happy hunting!

~ Luke

I cant't speak for rivers, but fresh water lakes in my area behave exactly the same.

After some investigation, I found the stones / sand to be surprisingly heavy mineralized. Some of the smaller stones even stick to a strong mangnet(!). My salt water beaches behave completely different.

Perhaps you can throw a strong magnet in there. If it attracts small stones and particles, that will perhaps be your problem.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LukeJMG1986 said:

The Iron Bias was set to 0, and also 4....

Since there are now two Iron Bias scales (independent -- user gets to decide which one) it might help if you told us which you are referring to:  FE or F2.

I don't water hunt so my replies may not be relevant to what you are experiencing; thus I'll refrain.  I will be posting soon what I've been finding by experimentation in the field, playing with the F2 settings.  I may wait until I get more testing done, though.  IMO it's a very confusing feature.  I'll leave it at that.

22 hours ago, phrunt said:

Is there a reason you're lowering your iron bias from default?  Some good reading for you.

Hey, I appreciate the input. I lowered the Iron Bias, because I didn't want to run the risk of the Iron Bias masking nearby non ferrous items. I usually go 1 or 2, because I did notice I was digging some nails and rusty metal flakes on zero. I'm a novice, with less then a year under my belt. I may be overthinking it, but I can't stand the thought of going over a good item, because the iron bias is masking it. Frankly, I'm still putting the pieces together from 6 months of reading, and detecting like crazy, so I have alot of info swirling around that I'm not 100% on, as I simply don't have the time under my belt yet. 

13 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Since there are now two Iron Bias scales (independent -- user gets to decide which one) it might help if you told us which you are referring to:  FE or F2.

I don't water hunt so my replies may not be relevant to what you are experiencing; thus I'll refrain.  I will be posting soon what I've been finding by experimentation in the field, playing with the F2 settings.  I may wait until I get more testing done, though.  IMO it's a very confusing feature.  I'll leave it at that.

Hey, thanks for the reply

I actually tried both, but I spent the majority of the time in FE. I do keep it pretty low, and a friend actually told me there is a good deal of mineralization here in Northern California, which could be part of what I was experiencing. I resorted to simply digging the target, grunt or not, just to be sure. I would definitely like to know for certain what causes it, so I can better understand, well, everything really. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 12:22 AM, Sinclair said:

I cant't speak for rivers, but fresh water lakes in my area behave exactly the same.

After some investigation, I found the stones / sand to be surprisingly heavy mineralized. Some of the smaller stones even stick to a strong mangnet(!). My salt water beaches behave completely different.

Perhaps you can throw a strong magnet in there. If it attracts small stones and particles, that will perhaps be your problem.

Mineralisation here is definitely a thing. I have to remember we do deal with alot of it in Sonoma County, CA. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you