Inspired Fresh Water Hunt Today!

Joe D.

Hello all,

I was able to get out for a few hours hunt today!   I charged up the 800 last night , and needed to test it!  After the Er 41 error i had, and posted about, a few days ago at the beach!  

Steve's Lake Tahoe Hunt yesterday with the AQ inspired me to search my childhood memories for a place where i could fresh water hunt near home! Not an easy task here in South Florida, beleve it or not!!  There are tons of freshwater canals! But very few lake's that weren't for some modern housing development drainage basin in the last 20-30 years!  And they weren't ever ment to be used for recreation!  Let alone anything with a beach that had any history of use!  And yes, there are still quite a few alligators 🐊 around to be mindful of!!  So "head on a swivel" is a must! Among other hazards!

So i drove by some of the spots i could remember from years ago!  Two of the three that came to mind were closed off!!  It wasn't looking good! The last one was just right, with few people nearby! So i gave it a shot!

I didn't come to the realization that i had never detected fresh water before, until i was swinging the detector in it!🤯  So i spent the next two and half hours enjoying the experience! What a nice change it was, not getting pummeled by the surf of the beaches! I've got to find more places now, I'm hooked!

I would have liked to end my adventure with a nice piece of gold or silver jewelry! But that wasn't the case this time out!! I found many bottle caps of various stages of decomposition! And a respectable amount of clad and zincons!

But wait!! The story ain't over yet!!        Generally, I'm not in the habit of looking at my finds very good when I'm hunting, i just seperate the trash from the treasure, and clean and sort later! Especially when i am alone, and there are eyes on me!👁👁  I had vaguely noticed that one of my "treasures" was odd sized! Bigger than a quarter, and smaller than the 69' Kennedy that i found at the beginning of the year! It was "coin" sized and solidly encrusted, so in with the coins it went! Along with a few other encrusted smaller coins!  I can generally tell, with salt water encrusted coins, what they are! But i was in new territory with these few! My time was up, so i headed home!

I did my usual dumping and sorting of the pouch contents, on my tailgate for a gross decon! Then off for a soak, cleaning, and examination! The "odd" coin was giving me a hard time, so i had to soak longer than the rest! I just figured it was some odd alloy, or some kind of  blank that was probably trash! But i was still careful! The persistance paid off, and although it was badly corroded, and very thin! Enough details surfaced to identify it! 

It was a "bucket lister" for me, even though it's pretty much worthless monetarily!!👍👍

And now the unveiling:           

1935 Walking Liberty Half Dollar!!

😵 In Sad condition!! 😩     

20200616_225016.jpg

20200616_224928.jpg

20200616_223934.jpg

20200616_223857.jpg

20200616_224619.jpg

20200616_191319.jpg

20200616_191258.jpg

20200616_224154.jpg

20200616_225232.jpg

• Like 9

Well done!  That must be brackish water to make that coin look so bad.  

It makes me want to go back to some of the swimming holes we went to as a kid in North Florida.  I imagine many of them have already been detected but there are many more lakes and springs up there.

Mitchel

• Like 1

My wife's not that lucky!😂👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

My wife's not that lucky!

She just doesn't want the gator to have an upset stomach.

Nice hunt and good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

Nice score on the Walker. Unfortunately, sometimes silver does not do so well. Usually the culprit is Chlorine and/or Sulfur. Both are bad for coins and are found just about everywhere in the water. Really bad in the ocean environment. Lakes are susceptible too. But it's still a big piece of silver and a great find. 👍

• Thanks 1

The silver value is good on the 1/2 dollar. Nice hunt. I went out on a fresh water hunt yesterday and didn't do so well. I only got 4 bottle caps. A small piece of tin and no coins or jewelry.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe D. said:

...There are still quite a few alligators 🐊 around...

But you didn't mention the man eating snakes?

Nice find, Joe, but I hate the damage water can do.  I noticed hunting a local drained (freshwater) lake that the coin discolation/deterioration seemed much worse than my typical park finds.  But I didn't find any silver, just copper alloyed coins.

It still counts!

• Like 1

I guess my next purchase should be a mini-sub with arms,  to hold my detector and scoop!  Than ill be safe from all threats!   ( 🎶...Yellow Submarine...🎶,)🤣👍👍

• Haha 1