As the recent days have past, I have noticed some of the notable detectorist have received their machines.  Steve & Joe (obviously), Clive just posted on Facebook.  Has anyone else had a chance to lay hands on this beast?

• Like 2

Hopefully people will chime in as they get an AQ. I won't speak for others - I have one obviously.

herschbach-fisher-impulse-aq-limited.jpg

• Like 2

So far, those two plus OBN who has posted here and a former tester who has a production model now and has not posted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the update Rick! Four limited production detectors in the field. It is a start. And those four are in good hands for sure.

• Like 3

Come on guys! I'm sure many now has got the AQ,why only Joe do testing and reporting? Come on out wherever you are!!!!!!

• Like 1

Last mention I saw from Rick is that eight have been sold, and half delivered. FT only seems to be shipping one or two a week.

I just received mine today. Hope to take it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow morning.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, cudamark said:

I just received mine today. Hope to take it on it's maiden voyage tomorrow morning.

Well dontcha know - Cuda - glad to see you over here.  Now that both you AND Joe have Impulses you can put even more pressure on Doc and his Cygnus project.  :wink:  Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks. I don't want to pressure Doc. He'll get it done when he gets it done. Gives me more time to play with the AQ! 😀

• Like 1

Got a link to find out about it?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sting Ray
      I am curious as what response it would give a different depths and if the chain is laid out straight.

• By Cabo Chris
      Hoping I got on the list for an AQ Limited as I inquired with Rick.  If not I can wait for the final production.  Perhaps some of you PI guys can chime in.  Obviously the Impulse depths on gold rings is fantastic and like many here can envision the potential.  I do not know how the FCC regulates detectors, but was wondering about the early Whites TDI Pro.  I'm told by someone very knowledgeable the TDI Pro hits gold rings 20 inches easy.  Whatever the depth it's impressive.  I do not know why Whites stopped TDI Pro production- perhaps design Rights?  Then Whites produced the SL and later the TDI BeachHunter, neither of which have the power of the TDI Pro.  My friend says not even close.  I currently have a TDI BH.  So why did the raw power of the TDI Pro go away?  Did FCC regulation require watering down?  Or again to do with design Rights?  I'm asking because does the AQ Limited being so powerful meet FCC regulations?  Might actual production units be a bit less powerful?  I suppose not, but perhaps I should cross my fingers I make the Limited list?  There was a time I wanted a TDI Pro for deep gold rings and couldn't get one and ended up with the less powerful/still fun TDI BH.       
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I pitched a royal fit to get a spare battery with my AQ Ltd, and it helped get an official retail price formulated, which I gladly paid. Fisher Impulse AQ Limited spare NiMH battery, part# PI-BATPK-NIMH $199.00

Fisher Impulse AQ NiMH battery

Fisher Impulse AQ NiMH battery
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Click or double click any photos in this article for high resolution versions.
      I bought this 4 x 26650 battery holder on eBay after quite a bit of Google work. They are a surprisingly rare item. It comes with sleeves that can use 4 x 18650 batteries also. It ran me $29.65 delivered including shipping and tax. I ordered it on June 25th and it arrived from China on July 14th. The holder delivers 16.8V via a DC adapter plug or 5V via a USB outlet. It has a thin oring on the lid for an IP67 seal.
      I also ordered an IP67 M8 4 pole 16.4 foot female to pigtail cable from Automation Direct for $10.50 plus shipping and tax. I ordered several different cables so lets add $5.00 for s&h for this one cable. They delivered next day!
      And finally 4ea EBL 26650 batteries from Walmart for $20.99 free shipping, delivered in a few days.
      Total parts cost about $70. I have a 26650 charger already that came with my Tarsacci so you'd have to figure that. Some sets of the batteries come with a charger. By the way, the EBL seem in short supply lately.
      I shortened the power cable to 5 feet, more than enough to set the detector on ground if need be. The DC adapter that comes with this battery box is great. Blue wire to negative post and brown wire to positive. Warning - I am not vouching for the polarity. I used a multimeter to check my AQ battery and matched that. You should do the same. I take no responsibility for anyone doing this mod and blowing their AQ! The black and white are headphone wires. I hooked up a 1/4" female jack to those.
      I am using the AQ mostly as a wader unit employing some true chest high waders that have a big pocket on the inside front. I'll drop this battery in that pocket and plug my Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones in. I could use my TaoTronics to go wireless, but that seems pointless the way the battery is mounted near my head. I need to determine run time with four 26650 batteries - should be way better than the current 3 (all metal) to 3.5 (tones/mute) hours running time I get with the Fisher battery. Enough that I probably will not need to do a battery change at all and perhaps enough for a long day. I also need to determine how the detector handles without a battery under the elbow. Lighter of course, but too nose heavy? Should be fine in the water as the coil is neutral. Maybe too nose heavy for some people for dry beach use. We will see. This would be a great belt hip mount battery for dry beach use. I suppose it could also be mounted under the elbow, perhaps with the included strap, so I'll consider that also. It would balance well like that. It is IP67 rated and with proper headphone / power cables might be good enough to use under arm for wading / shallow dunking use at least.
      Operating sequence. Power up battery pack (it has its own power switch) then power up detector. Power off detector, power off battery pack. Doing otherwise may trip the circuit protector on the battery pack, necessitating removing and reinstalling the lid to reset. The pack has its own built in battery level indicator. And it may be used to charge a phone or other USB device! I was warned this USB capability might create interference in the AQ, but that has not proved to be an issue so far. The two circuits, 16.8V and 5V, appear to be isolated.

Powered up - and no smoke!
      I really like this. Very easy for a not super skilled person like me to do, less than third the cost of a spare AQ battery, and should get well over twice the run time. If I had another complete set of batteries ready, it would be an easy swap for even more running time. It leaves only one cable to the rear end of the detector, and that is my only concern at all - I will try and beef that up and protect it better. I'm thinking a rubber boot that clamps completely over the end of the detector rod. I ordered a couple like like the one pictured below to see if it will stretch enough to work. Long story short is there is a very good chance this will replace my Fisher batteries for most of my use. This is why I had no problem getting the Limited "wader version" of the AQ as I find chest waders to be a good option at Tahoe and it's cold water for all but a couple months of the season when the water gets reasonably warm for mask and snorkel work. I used to do a lot of ice diving with drysuits while gold dredging, but am not looking to get quite that serious any more. 
      Joe’s Fully Waterproof 26650 Alternative

Description:
      Features:
      100% brand new and high quality.
      Without 18650 battery. You need to prepare 4x 18650 or 26650 batteries yourself to use.
      DC 5.5x2.1mm interface has input and output functions, with DC adapter, easy to use.
      DC 5.5x2.1mm port for 16.8V devices
      USB 5V Port for Charging Smart phone GPS Tablet PC or 5V LED Light and more.
      Improve replacement battery pack fixes inconvenient shortcomings, greatly facilitates the users of the battery pack DIY requirements, without spot welding battery, thereby greatly reducing the battery internal resistance, improve the battery discharge performance, so as to effectively improve battery life
      Power supply: you can use 18650 rechargeable lithium battery as a power source
      The output side: USB and DC dual output power supply function,DC output voltage is 16.8V(can power the 16.8V device, such as the bike light), USB output voltage is 5V(can power the cellphone and other 5V device), to meet a wider usage scenarios, the product comes with overcharge and over discharge protection, protection of the battery is more safe and sustainable
      Specification:
      Material: Plastic+metal
      Color: Black or Red
      Input Voltage:DC 16.8V
      Output Voltage: DC Port 16.8V
      Standby current Under 80μA
      USB Output Voltage: DC 5V
      USB Output Current: 2000mA
      Overcharge Protection Voltage: 16.8V
      Over Dischage Protection Voltage: 10V
      Over Current Protection Voltage: 7.2A 
      Size: 9x6.5 x 6.5cm
      Cable length: 29cm
      18650 and 26650 Batteries are not Included
      Note
      Please put in battery in a right way.
      Charge it when power indicator light flashes.
      Don't use the device in the water. Waterproof standard is IP67
      Packing list:
      1x Waterproof 4x 18650 /26650 battery box case.(without battery )
      1x 5.5x2.1mm adapter
      4x 18650 to 26650 battery converter

• By Joe Beechnut OBN
      Out with the AQ Thursday 3 hours....... Skipping shallows and digging faints only at this location seems to be the best way to control the amount of trash. The one big piece of iron I did dig was shallow... The Buffalo, (191?) was as deep as I've dug in the place for anything, I would say in the 20 inch range.... It sure likes Nickels...And remember I hunt in All metal only..never switched over to mute this time..straight PI hunt only........... Gold ring is small, just under 2 grams 14k , 3 scoops deep..maybe in the 13 /14 inch range.. Ring never really gave a good solid hit so maybe it was on it's side? 10 gold with the AQ,  9 rings and 1 misc..Can't wait till fall hits and the NW winds kick in...☠️
      Side note, This is the beach I'm so confident about the AQ being the best I had invited anyone that want to meet, over on the other forum. So far no local takers but did get a few from a distant that wanted to give it a go. Anyone is welcome.......... A very tough spot, Been hammered for years by just about ever machine made. Been dredged, mined, and Has High Power lines about 100 yards away. And if you noticed in the video I'm wearing a drysuit with dry gloves, during the summer. Water quality is not the best either so playing it safe..Still waiting for the Cygnus invite challenge also...nothing yet. Let me know, the door is open..
      '

Second set of pictures are from the batteries I'm working on..should have something working mid July, still waiting on a few detail things. The main thing is battery life and fix the connector issues.
      I really could do a much better battery setup if I were to change the shaft to a carbon fiber then mold a carbon fiber battery pack into the rear like the MDT...

• By Steve Herschbach
      My Impulse came with a very detailed calibration certification test list, along with a little nail in a capsule, which I assume was part of the test. A couple key figures jump out for people to know:
      US Nickel Depth min. = 16 inches (air test)
      Gold Ring 18K, 2.7 grs, size 8, Depth min. = 17 inches (air test)
      Compare to these QED and GPX 5000 figures here Note that the AQ has a 12.5" coil and these detectors are using 8" mono coils.
      I thought it was interesting the first circuit board test was on 3/13/2020 and final headphone test on 6/4/2020. No wonder these things are slow in getting out the door!
      click or double-click for larger version

Fisher Impulse AQ Calibration & Compliance Certification

In-Process Circuit Measurement
      1. Interval Terminal Pull Test @ 2.2 lbs./inch per Q4071
      2. Interval Connector Pull Test @ 1.1 lbs./Inch per Q4071
      3. 20x Inspection per IPC-A-610-G
      4. Dino-Cite Edge Optical to 220x per IPC-A-610-G V
      Final Circuit Measurements
      1. Target Sensitivity Level
      2. Threshold Adjustment
      3. US Nickel Depth min. = 15.5 inches (in factory)
      4. Gold Ring Depth min. = 16.5 inches (in factory)
      5. Tone-Mode Test
      6. Mute-Mode Test
      7. Volcanic Sand-Mode Test
      Coil Measurements
      1. 1st In-process Self Resonant Freq.
      2. 2nd In-process Self Resonant Freq.
      3. Complete Assembly Self Resonant Freq.
      4. Coil Function Test
      Detector Level Measurements
      1. Submersion Test: Coil Connector
      2. Submersion Test: Power Cable to Battery Connector
      3. Submersion Test: Power Cable to Detector Connector
      4. Submersion Test: Headphone Connector
      5. Submersion Test: Detector (1 meter, 4 hours)
      6. Submersion Test: Headphone (1 meter, 4 hours)
      7. US Nickel Depth min. = 16 inches (air test)
      8. Gold Ring 18K, 2.7 grs, size 8, Depth min. = 17 inches (air test)
      9. Power Cable Function Test
      10. Headphone Function Test