Thinking About Not Taking This Equinox 800 Under Water

The first one I had, it had no problem underwater. The 2nd one leaked. Now when I get my replacement I'm thinking of only hunting to waist deep with it. And use my Gold Kruzer, XP Orx or CZ20 out deeper. I don't want this one to leak. I was worried about my first one leaking and it didn't. Now it  happened on the 2nd one. I guess they don't test them for leaks before they go out.

Is this a good plan or not. Or should I take it out deep and use it and find out if it leaks? Minelab just got my leaky Nox yesterday. Don't know when I will have another one back. Haven't heard anything yet.

I don't have trust in it right now.  Does anybody know the percentage that have leaked?

The percentage is not high, but when you are dealing with what is probably the most popular VLF sold the last couple years the numbers are probably pretty high.

I can't tell you what to do, but here is how I approach something like this. I have had half the waterproof detectors I ever bought leak on me, a couple on first use. I now assume any waterproof detector will eventually leak. I therefore always have two, and I tend to sell them just before the warranty expires and take the hit to replace them with another full warranty unit.

Then I go detecting and I don't worry about it. I got the machine to go detecting and I will. If one fails, I have a backup I will use while the one that fails gets sent in and taken care of under warranty. I've never paid anything more than postage yet to get a flooded detector fixed and probably never will. In the rare event both go down at the same time.... has not happened yet.

The good news is a pair of Equinox costs way less than one CTX 3030, and hardly more than an Excalibur if you are talking 800s, so it's not a crazy expensive thing to consider.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Thinking About Not Taking This Equinox 800 Under Water

It is under warranty and I have backup detectors. So I might as well find out if it's going to leak or not when I get it. Most likely it won't leak. Good point on the warranty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

So I might as well find out if it's going to leak or not when I get it. Most likely it won't leak.

Since it is under warranty fill your bath tub and place your unit in it overnight. If it leaks send it back for replacement, and then try the replacement the same way.

I read that on another thread here and it sounds good to me.

If you are planning to buy and to use it under water,  that extended warranty for an additional year is perhaps pretty cheap if available to you.  I generally don't buy them for electronics but I do plan on submerging the darn thing if I ever get to the beach.   I think the extra year cost me $45 USD

On 6/17/2020 at 8:19 PM, Phillips_R said:

If you are planning to buy and to use it under water,  that extended warranty for an additional year is perhaps pretty cheap if available to you.  I generally don't buy them for electronics but I do plan on submerging the darn thing if I ever get to the beach.   I think the extra year cost me $45 USD

Extend past the 2w yr warranty?  How?  Through who? 

Thanks Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, midalake said:

Extend past the 2w yr warranty?  How?  Through who?

I can't answer that question, but the standard (factory warranty) is 3 years.  From the Minelab website:

All Minelab detectors are engineered in Australia, manufactured to exacting standards in ISO 9001/2000 quality accredited facilities, and backed by up to 3-years transferable warranties.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:11 AM, GB_Amateur said:

I can't answer that question, but the standard (factory warranty) is 3 years.  From the Minelab website:

All Minelab detectors are engineered in Australia, manufactured to exacting standards in ISO 9001/2000 quality accredited facilities, and backed by up to 3-years transferable warranties.

Well that is what I get for not proof reading!  Yes!   So again, how is that warranty extended past the three years????   How?  Through who? 

Maybe if you buy it with American Express. No, I’m not kidding.

https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/pdf/EW_Benefit_Guide_Tier_1_Rev_9-17.pdf

Other cards offer similar plans, read your card agreement.

Minelab is sold at Cabelas, and I think they offer extended warranty on electronics for an extra charge.