What do you make of this description on KellyCo? It seems to suggest the IPTU sensor would work with machines other than the Invenio. Does anyone know if that is true and how that would work? 

"One of the biggest issues that people run into when metal detecting is difficulty with accuracy. The IPTU Sensor (Invenio) is going to help increase your accuracy and help you find more items and be sure what they are and where they are better. This is an easy to install sensor and is going to make a world of difference when it comes to your overall success when metal detecting. This sensor works with Invenio detectors and is a great addition to any metal detector."

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/iptu-sensor-for-invenio

The Invenio is not mapping out target id results on the screen, but position information as to where responses are occurring. So if you walk over a buried triangular frame, a picture of a buried triangular item will get "painted" on the screen. This is totally different than what a CTX 3030 is doing, for instance. The CTX is just mapping target id numbers on the display. The Invenio is drawing a map of the ground with target responses added to the map over time, building up a "picture" of what is in the ground. It's fairly useless for coins or typical detecting items - they are just a dot. More of use for archaeology type tasks. But could be used coin detecting to map a scatter of coins, for instance.

nokta-invenio-display.jpg

The IPTU SENSOR (Integrated Positional Tracking Unit) is the hardware part doing the positional mapping. 

nokta-invenio-iptu-display.jpg

Since the IPTU unit is made to interface directly with the Invenio hardware, I am clueless as to how it can work with other detectors and doubt that it can. See the owners manual for details.

Invenio product Information

nokta-invenio-iptu-display-manual.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Since the IPTU unit is made to interface directly with the Invenio hardware, I am clueless as to how it can work with other detectors and doubt that it can. See the owners manual for details.

This is what I suspect, and that it is some sort of mistake, but it has piqued my interest since I've seen this descriptor twice in two different places. Since the IPTU sensor is only around $600+ any possibility that it could work with other machines in some way caught my attention. I suspect even if it could it would require an additional and much more expensive purchase. Or maybe their are future plans we are unaware of and someone got ahead of themselves. 

After a little more research, it's looking less like an error and more like future plans we haven't been made privy to just yet. 2nd paragraph

IMG_3440.PNG

• Like 1

All as in all brands, or as in all Nokta/Makro detectors? Oh well, whatever. I personally see little or no value in something quite this complex for what I do. I do think recording recovered target information is helpful, and have done so as an aid to gold nugget prospecting, but a GPS is far less complicated for that purpose and already works with any detector. Unfortunately tracking location information has not proven to be of great interest to most users. The CTX and GPZ systems are overlooked or even complained about by many users as a waste of money. I’m not sure Minelab will even pursue the idea on future models. I wonder if Invenio has developed into much of a market? Never heard of anyone owning one yet, and way more hardware than I’d want to tote around for my purposes at least.

• Like 1

Connector on it looks like the same one used for the headphone/external battery pack connectors. Possible it will work with other Nokta machines with that connector. Not sure if an adapter cable would make it compatible with other machines ie Nokta to 1/4" audio.

I am thinking it is using the audio side of the connection, if so then it should work with any machine. Cool idea, too bad they couldn't ditch the big screen and box and use an ordinary cell phone via bluetooth.

• Like 2