A Little Lake Gold With The Nox

Very nice, I love seeing neat stuff like pendants or charms... something to break up the rings! :smile: A testament to your detecting skills also.

Interesting you are using Gold Mode. That and a 6” coil are my staples for nugget detecting, but I’ve not really given Gold Mode a fair try for other types of detecting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Looks good Compass! Love the Gold Cross!

Thanks OBN, I was pretty happy to find it but disappointed that the bottom is damaged from what I'm sure are teeth marks. The damage was made worse because the cross is hollow.

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Very nice, I love seeing neat stuff like pendants or charms... something to break up the rings! :smile: A testament to your detecting skills also.

Interesting you are using Gold Mode. That and a 6” coil are my staples for nugget detecting, but I’ve not really given Gold Mode a fair try for other types of detecting.

Thanks Steve, Yes, I can't use the gold mode near salt water but really like it for freshwater lakes. I think the reasons I like gold mode are:

1. The responses are more like the pulse detectors I'm accustomed to.

2. Seems to hit "harder" on targets  which helps with my partial hearing loss.

3. It seems, to my ear, to be the deepest of the 4 modes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Compass said:

Last week I took the Equinox 800 and 6" coil to a favorite lake of mine. There were quite a few people in the water but I think most of what I found were not recent drops judging from the tarnished coins and the fact that that lake was closed the past couple of months due to the pandemic. I found my 3rd and 4th gold medallions of the year (all from the same lake) but could not find the gold chains that I'm sure were lost with them. I plan on going back soon and will spend some time trying to find those chains.

I really like the 6" coil. It helps with pinpointing, has good depth for its size and hits the smaller gold targets. The small 10 K gold ring is so thin that it doesn't even register on my scale. The 14 K crucifix and 14 K medal are 3.1 grams and 1 gram in weight. I probably dug more trash than I needed to but I'm still digging most everything until I get a better handle on the TID numbers.

Oh, I suppose that I should mention that I hunted mostly in the "gold 2" mode. It is super "chatty" in that mode but hits harder on targets than the other modes.

IMG_20200613_134246.jpg

IMG_20200613_110644.jpg

Holy cow that’s a lot of targets dug in one hunt and some GREAT finds! Unusual using the 6” coil, but hey whatever works! CONGRATS

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Holy cow that’s a lot of targets dug in one hunt and some GREAT finds! Unusual using the 6” coil, but hey whatever works! CONGRATS

Thank you Aaron, A lot of my hunts are all day affairs such as this one was so the targets do add up. At this particular lake the water is very murky and the bottom can be sandy, muddy, rocky or dense clay. Since the digging can be brutal, pinpointing is especially important and I pinpoint better with the small coil. It's a lot easier to push around in the water too!

Thank's Compass,

Im already learning from you! I had a similar hunt just yesterday; but without the gold!😂  I will try the Gold 2 mode on my next fresh water hunt! Nice finds!👍👍

On 6/17/2020 at 8:10 PM, Joe D. said:

Thank's Compass,

Im already learning from you! I had a similar hunt just yesterday; but without the gold!😂  I will try the Gold 2 mode on my next fresh water hunt! Nice finds!👍👍

You are welcome Joe and I'm glad I could contribute. I have also learned from others here - it's a great resource!

• Like 1