Fisher F5 Or Nokta Makro Simplex

I am pretty new to detecting, having used friends detectors from time to time, and am looking to purchase my first detector.  I can get a pretty good deal on either of the two, and am wondering what experienced hobbyists opinions are on which you would buy between the Fisher F5 or Nokta Makro Simplex, and why? Ease of use isn't really a concern as I am confident I can learn to use either.

Well, just for starters the Fisher F5 has been discontinued, and at the price it last sold for about twice the price of the Simplex. Are you getting some kind of super deal on the F5, because if not you can get more for your $549 these days.

Thats a round about way of asking if you have a budget, and what your intended use is for the detector. Is being fully submersible important? Look at the specifications for detectors... are there key features that seem important to you? The fact is, like cars, most get the job done. So looking at features is a major way of deciding.

For me personally I’ll lean for a machine just out versus one at the end of its life cycle. The main drawback to the Simplex is its a little more like a high performance detector than an entry level unit, so not quite as easy to learn as some. But you say you have that covered.

NOS F5 for $299  simplex without headphones for $254 

budget $300 - $350ish

Submersible isn't really a requirement

I just liked both of them at that price point and cant decide between the two, figured an experienced and more educated opinion on the subject could help my decision.  I was leaning toward the simplex, but didn't know if since the F5 had a higher initial price, it would also have more capability.

We have been experiencing a dramatic drop in new detector prices along with a large uptick in new detector capability. This has left quite a few older models very overpriced at the moment.

Nothing wrong with the F5, a decent detector. Way more coil options than the Simplex. I have to be honest though and say for the money I’d be taking a hard look at the Minelab Vanquish also.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

F5 is a good detector down to about 8" depth. It has one of the best control interface  I have used. Nice big screen and every control at the tip of your finger.

I've always been a big fan of the F5.   Very capable detector.   I really enjoyed the independent gain and threshold controls.  Normally you can buy them new for $349 with the 11" DD coil and they are running the $299 specials now with the stock 10" elliptical concentric. (metaldetector.com)

It is hard to find the F5 feature set in other detectors.   The threshold controls turns into an weak target audio boost feature once you move into the positive numbers and even though it runs at 7.8 kHz its pretty hot on little gold at positive threshold settings.   Very nice detector for hunting really small gold in the grass roots with very low gain settings at very high threshold settings.

1000+ ground balance setting point (salt inclusive) so it is possible to get dead on balance in mineralized ground.   

The ground phase number can be used to id deep targets.  

You can disc out the 50+ segment which helps in flat iron.

Overall its a pretty decent detector.   I have been trying to replace it with Whites V3 (independent gain and threshold with ground phase but i miss the weak target audio boost.

Can't say any thing about the Simplex as I didn't find anything special in its feature set to draw me to it.  

Good luck!

HH
Mike

I think the F5 is the better park and school detector. The features make it a really good coin and jewelry machine and with the 10" concentric coil it pin points better than the Simplex. This is important when detecting nice lawns and being able to pop coins without doing damage to the grass. The Simplex lacks some of the "Coin Shooting" features of the F5 but is probably the better all around detector. Not up to par with the F5 for coin shooting but still a good performer for that task, but a better detector for hunting relics and using for old home sites, ghost towns etc. The Factory is currently producing two additional smaller coils for the Simplex which will expand the Simplex's versatility. Both are very nice detectors. Just decide wher or what type detecting you'll be doing the most of and go from there. 

I'll second the Minelab Vanquish series. For the money, They would be my first choice if spending around $300.   

• Like 1