Eq 600 5 Khz Crushing Multi On Depth

I have an Equinox 800.  I search in 5-tone mode and use its capabilities to custom set my tone breaks, tone volumes, tone pitches (audio frequencies) to match the USA modern coins (nickels plus Indian Heads and up) when I'm hunting areas that I've determined didn't have 19th Century activity.  The (latter) old sites I dig pretty much all non-ferrous, or at least above ~5 on the digital TID scale.  When I get a tone in the coin ranges I investigate.  In the meantime I don't need to look at the display.

I can see that with the 600 you have to notch out a lot.  I've never let the detector discriminate for me that way.  OK, with the Tesoro Vaquero I've set the one-way discriminate threshold to eliminate iron and tiny foil since those analog(-like) detectors don't give you as many tone options (except maybe the Fisher CZ's).  With the ML X-Terra 705 I would toggle back and forth between "all metal" and discrimnate to investigate and eliminate the annoying iron wraparound.  But using the two Fishers (Gold Bug Pro and F75) I just listened to everything and let my brain do the discrimination.  I continue that method with the Eqx 800.

And I still dig a lot of trash.  Some pulltabs ID like nickels (sound and visual).  This spring at my 'new' park I've dug 1 nickel for every 7(!) pulltabs, and to emphasize, all those are in the 12-13 TID (with possibily occasional blips of 11 or 14 on an individual target).  If I were digging the 14-17 where most pulltabs ping I wouldn't come home with much else.

Regarding not finding old coins, that might be because it's been searched in the early days of VLF's (1980's and 1990's) and they haven't left much for you....   And/or you are just dealing with randomness.  Again, for comparison, in my current park I'm getting a ratio of 7 old coins (Wheaties and older pennies, Buffies and older nickels, any coin containing silver) for every 10 nickels.  If that sounds like a lot, consider another metric:  0.38 Wheats per hour and 0.24 'other old coins' per hour.  So a 4 hour hunt I average 1 or 2 Wheaties and 1 'other'.  Of the 30 times I've hunted that park I've been skunked on 'other old coins' the majority of the time -- 18 skunks to 12 cashes.  Yes, my park has been hunted by others over the years but it's still my best producing local park or school ever.  (In many ways we're 30+ years late to the game.  😪)

Finally, you say the ballfield has been in use since at least 1958.  That translates to about 13 years (1958 thru ~1970) when silver coins were still in circulation.  Now if 1958 is your earliest map/photo then maybe it was there earlier?  Meanwhile clad has been being deposited for over 50 years and counting.

It doesn't sound like you can do much more than you are already doing.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, palzynski said:

Hi captain ,

I entirely agree with Joe's answer , there are valuable targets in the 10-20 range . For example in Europe we have small/very small old coins starting from 1gram weight that are in this 10-20 tid range ... So I never use the notch on my MLs. For info I use the  50 tones mode on the Eq , with this I can easily recognize the aluminium foil with a very low tone (below 10 TID ) .  So most of the time I dig all targets , except those very low conductivity alu foils.

However in some rare situations I only dig medium/high conductors above 20 tid , for example when looking for 1st WW relics , buttons , buckles … which are rather high conductors

Of course on the beach with a lot of trash pulltabs etc it might be different , but I am not a beachcomber , only inland detecting so I will not answer on this  ..

Just to finish an example showing that one must be careful with the notch function. See pic below, in my hand 2 very different targets , a 1st WW  10 grams lead schrappnel a very common rubbish in my area , and a very nice antique 4 grams gold coin ( that I bought in a shop ,not found by myself … ). Actually  those 2 targets have exactly the same TID at 17 ! So if I notch 17 to eliminate the schrappnell rubbish , I will never find this kind of coin because it will be also be eliminated by the notch ...

DSC02445.JPG

I can certainly understand your viewpoint regarding the notching.  I must say that I think the level of trashiness here in central Texas is a real extreme comparing most places in the world...especially in the UK I suspect.  You see, most people have little to no respect here and feel nature is one big trash can.  Maybe I need to make a quick video showing my plight and throw in on here just to drive home how bad it is. It literally is almost impossible to find open ground to balance.  Yes I know that is impossible and you are right but it takes a real act to find that open piece.  I may just have to live with 20 plus on the disc mode until I can find better soil to swing in.  Of course I hate that but at this point I don’t feel I have an option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have an Equinox 800.  I search in 5-tone mode and use its capabilities to custom set my tone breaks, tone volumes, tone pitches (audio frequencies) to match the USA modern coins (nickels plus Indian Heads and up) when I'm hunting areas that I've determined didn't have 19th Century activity.  The (latter) old sites I dig pretty much all non-ferrous, or at least above ~5 on the digital TID scale.  When I get a tone in the coin ranges I investigate.  In the meantime I don't need to look at the display.

I can see that with the 600 you have to notch out a lot.  I've never let the detector discriminate for me that way.  OK, with the Tesoro Vaquero I've set the one-way discriminate threshold to eliminate iron and tiny foil since those analog(-like) detectors don't give you as many tone options (except maybe the Fisher CZ's).  With the ML X-Terra 705 I would toggle back and forth between "all metal" and discrimnate to investigate and eliminate the annoying iron wraparound.  But using the two Fishers (Gold Bug Pro and F75) I just listened to everything and let my brain do the discrimination.  I continue that method with the Eqx 800.

And I still dig a lot of trash.  Some pulltabs ID like nickels (sound and visual).  This spring at my 'new' park I've dug 1 nickel for every 7(!) pulltabs, and to emphasize, all those are in the 12-13 TID (with possibily occasional blips of 11 or 14 on an individual target).  If I were digging the 14-17 where most pulltabs ping I wouldn't come home with much else.

Regarding not finding old coins, that might be because it's been searched in the early days of VLF's (1980's and 1990's) and they haven't left much for you....   And/or you are just dealing with randomness.  Again, for comparison, in my current park I'm getting a ratio of 7 old coins (Wheaties and older pennies, Buffies and older nickels, any coin containing silver) for every 10 nickels.  If that sounds like a lot, consider another metric:  0.38 Wheats per hour and 0.24 'other old coins' per hour.  So a 4 hour hunt I average 1 or 2 Wheaties and 1 'other'.  Of the 30 times I've hunted that park I've been skunked on 'other old coins' the majority of the time -- 18 skunks to 12 cashes.  Yes, my park has been hunted by others over the years but it's still my best producing local park or school ever.  (In many ways we're 30+ years late to the game.  😪)

Finally, you say the ballfield has been in use since at least 1958.  That translates to about 13 years (1958 thru ~1970) when silver coins were still in circulation.  Now if 1958 is your earliest map/photo then maybe it was there earlier?  Meanwhile clad has been being deposited for over 50 years and counting.

It doesn't sound like you can do much more than you are already doing.

My bad I didn’t see your response till after I replied to Pal let me analyze and reply...sorry.  Ok so after looking at your ratio trash wise maybe I just need to suck it up and dig more trash.  My ratio is 50-50 actually probably more like 60% good coins vs 40% trash.  Guess that puts me on the extreme side of the trash scale.  I have gotten pretty fast at recovering a target(usually under 30 secs) so I may just have to dig the 12-13 target regardless.  Maybe some single digits too depending on the interrogation of the target.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

I can certainly understand your viewpoint regarding the notching.  I must say that I think the level of trashiness here in central Texas is a real extreme comparing most places in the world...especially in the UK I suspect.  You see, most people have little to no respect here and feel nature is one big trash can.  Maybe I need to make a quick video showing my plight and throw in on here just to drive home how bad it is. It literally is almost impossible to find open ground to balance.  Yes I know that is impossible and you are right but it takes a real act to find that open piece.  I may just have to live with 20 plus on the disc mode until I can find better soil to swing in.  Of course I hate that but at this point I don’t feel I have an option.

Ok I understand , actually I know a lot of areas over here littered with modern junk ( small pieces of aluminium , etc  .. ). For example along the roads. Actually I prefer to flee from such areas … Location is the key word when detecting … Detector settings comes after. Perhaps you should try to find a cleaner place outside the big town .. 

Sorry I missed  your last post 50 trash/ 50 coin is quite a good ratio from my standpoint. In my area with the 1st WW war it is more:  90 ww trash / 10 other (( coin and artefacts ). So over here the pb is more the 1st WW trash than the modern trash … 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Captain, 

I feel your frustration!🤬, but the junk goes with the territory! Especially with lower conductor's! I dug almost $9 dollars in change today in a 4 hour split hunt, at two different locations! No silver or gold anything today, but I'm happy with my clad count! I'm more or less, on your same level with the Knox, I think!  The low conductors can wear you out digging! But are often the most rewarding! But my hearing just naturally goes to quarters, dimes, (and freaking pennies) for some reason! I have no problem finding those! But nickels are in a tough area (13ish), and gold is all over the map depending on size and depth, etc.. And so is alot of junk! The nuances between them can be a blur!  If i lived in an area that was old enough to have a decent amount of silvers, i think i would clean up! But i take what i can get! Anyway, i digress!

I would say, dig the lower conductors when you are fresh in a hunt (and the trash)!  When you get frazzled, or worn out, just hit the easy high conductors for awhile to give yourself a break! The clad adds up, and you may get a silver coin, or ring while you are relaxing a bit!

That's all i got man! The Master's will further try and steer us in the right direction, I'm sure! In the meantime, keep up the good fight! And enjoy the ride!👍👍

(Just some of the trash, sight finds, and coins! I like the cool lead moon guy!)

20200623_095938.jpg

Excellent response Joe I really appreciate it and your situation fits mine to the T!  I think the early vdi # dig and transition to more a cherry pick mentality will be my strategy.  Also wow on the pennies...my first 15 good targets were all modern pennies...the EQ clearly would vote for Lincoln!  I love when I hook into a quarter at 28 or 29 because it really is clear...just like dimes and above.  I don’t get these people on a rampage saying the I’d sucks on these machines(I read a back and forth debate on another posting).  I feel it is the best I’ve ever had...I simply know what coin is there(except for nickels).  So I’m going to dig 12-13 and Of course the high conductors...and dig singles and some teens the first hour or so in my hunt.  I’ll go from there.  Also great hunt Joe you cleaned up on the clad...now if we can just get that 30 something tone and sink into some quality silver we will be in the drivers seat!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Ok I understand , actually I know a lot of areas over here littered with modern junk ( small pieces of aluminium , etc  .. ). For example along the roads. Actually I prefer to flee from such areas … Location is the key word when detecting … Detector settings comes after. Perhaps you should try to find a cleaner place outside the big town .. 

Sorry I missed  your last post 50 trash/ 50 coin is quite a good ratio from my standpoint. In my area with the 1st WW war it is more:  90 ww trash / 10 other (( coin and artefacts ). So over here the pb is more the 1st WW trash than the modern trash … 

Oh wow you are so lucky to be north of France!  I’m obsessed with ww2... I’ve always wanted to come to that area and actually dig ww pieces...it’s always been my top preference location wise.  I watch a few hours of ww2 documentaries probably every other day or so...everything I can get my hands on.  You are right at the end of the day we Just have to think out of the box and find the best locations.  I’m getting a little tired of typical parks it may be time to knock on some doors and take some chances...I just feel goofy bothering people😔

• Like 2

Captain,

28 quarter's in that pile of change!! I guess that those are the "New Silvers"!!😂

We are in "strange times" detecting now! The silver's have been cheery picked all over! The easy areas have been beat to death! And we are all hanging our hats on new technology to liven up the old areas! 

Now we are hunting the areas that have been avoided, due to the trash load!, difficulty in accessing!, asking permissions for private properties!, and unfortunately,  Illigal areas to detect!! And it can be more "work," or "jail time",  than fun! 

I've just got to laugh, when i look at the silver coins i found with my BounterHunter 840, back in the 79- 82 era! And i kick myself for not continuing detecting from than on!     

But "it is what it is" now!! And between the lack of quality finds, and the regulations against detecting (mostly our own fault)! It comes down to each individual, and the reason they detect in the first place!  For profit!?? Love of historic items!?? For relaxation!?? Thrill of the hunt!?? Excercise!?? Like minded friends!?? Or something else; or combination of them! Everyone's motivations, and geographic locations, are truly their own!

It; and old age, is weeding out those who are willing to continue detecting! I don't think that it will ever die out completely! But it is on something of a "downhill" slope in our current environment!👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

My ratio is 50-50 actually probably more like 60% good coins vs 40% trash.  Guess that puts me on the extreme side of the trash scale.

The ideal seeder (is that a word?) of targets is the following person:  1) religiously disposes properly every piece of trash, from foil all the way up to bottles and cans; 2) has holes in his/her pockets and purse so that every coin s/he's ever possessed has fallen to the ground, but only in places where they are hidden from view and eventually covered over with soil, such as grassy parks and schools.  And while I'm wishing upon a star, not just one person but every person is like that (well, except me  :biggrin:).

What we get is of course a mixture that includes sloppy litterers plus misers who keep track of every coin ever possessed and, after doing an inventory and finding that a (zinc) penny is missing, goes out searching, not to return until the wayward calf is reunited with the herd.

When it comes to parks and schoolyards at least, if there is treasure there is also trash.  Depending where you are on that continuous scale talked about earlier, you can either bias your hunts to dig only the best, cleanest and clearest hits (sacrificing some goodies which aren't so perfect) or towards the other end -- digging every iffy target knowing that the majority of your recoveries are going in the trash bin.  Not only is every detectorist different in general, but we even vary our position on that scale based on other factors such as time available to hunt and simply what mood we're in.

The park I've been hunting is overall the trashiest (mostly aluminum) that I've ever detected.  It's also been the best producer of old coins.  I can't wait to get back there.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

I hate hearing about most of of the good finds being stripped away over time.  That is why I’m taking to the water...to me that’s the new frontier.

I'll let you in on a secret, as long as you don't tell anyone.  Agree?  (Whispering:)  They've been out there too!  :laugh:

In theory people are more likely to lose a piece of jewelry, ring in particular, in and around water than on dry land.  I find a Mercury dime and it has about $1.20 in silver content.  Water/beach hunter finds a 3 gram 14kt gold ring and it's bullion value alone is $100.  I likely find more Mercs than the average water/beach hunter finds gold rings, but I don't know if I can beat that ~80::1 advantage I'm spotting them.

Bottom line is that most of us get paid in fun, not money.  You just have to decide where the most fun is.

• Like 5