Eq 600 5 Khz Crushing Multi On Depth

31 minutes ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

Well test garden gb’s at 21 or so.  There is a big fluctuation in the GB #s from location to location.  I do the same test at every location I’ve been at, and have experienced the same observations.  Of course I don’t mind using 5mhz if that is the best option which I have been...but I was led to believe multi’s strength was optimal performance across the board in many situations...so far it’s been zero for me.  So of course after spending the $ I have...I’m going to investigate this to ensure there isn’t something I’m missing like anyone would.  I haven’t done a reset which I will do this evening.

One other thing would be to test an other 600 to see if it behaves like with yours … Perhaps you can borrow a 600 from somebody else ?  Did you ask your seller about his issue? No other idea up to now from my standpoint , perhaps someone else in the forum has an idea ...

• Like 2

Might be worth doing an air test.  If it's the ground that is preferentially favoring 5 kHz over Multi-frequency then that should disappear in air tests.

• Like 5

On 6/18/2020 at 5:49 AM, CaptainCoinSpill said:

My concern is pretty clear imo...why would all frequencies be as deficient as they are...when I’ve compared them to multiple locations in multiple scenarios?

I apologize. I thought you were looking for an explanation as to why 5 kHz might be working well for you. Sounds now like you think your detector is defective. You say you have covered every possibility already so no point in me getting into this further. Minelab service center:

Detector Center

Pennsylvania, USA
T: 1-888-949-6522
E: service@minelabamericas.com

• Like 1

Hello Captain,

Did you post an introduction in the Meet and Greet? If not, please do so, then we can give you a proper welcome! Glad your here! 👍👍

In my ground multi works best unless EMI is a problem. I had a situation the other night where single frequency on the 800 was required because the EMI was so bad. 15 KHz seamed to be the best pick for the site. Even tried switching to multi a few times to check targets, but the deeper signals were lost in the noise. Nice to have options for different site conditions.

• Like 4

Thanks so much and yes I’ll hit up the greet.  Weird thing is I did air test and multi was just as deep if not deeper.  So after thinking over the replies, I’m wondering if Emi could be an issue?  Thing is...the machine is super stable everywhere and I can even run 25 sens.  Does emi make any noticeable noises to clue you in it is an issue?  Or is it a silent type issue?  I’m going to do another air test after a factory reset and do a quick ground coin test on site and report back.  I was showing 14” on a quarter on multi air test so from that aspect I was excited.  Just have to figure out why that’s not transferring to the ground.  We have black thick clay which is like digging in concrete lately due to no rain. Thanks again I’m going to run a battery of tests this pm.

EMI generally is noticeable. Your machine will have audio interference as well as numbers jumping all over the place. Power lines, cell phones, cell phone towers, blue tooth devices other metal detectors and nearby airports can all be the cause.

• Like 3

Recognize also that unlike other detectors, Noise Cancel and GB settings are not universal to each multifrequency mode or even each frequency.   To run an apples to apples test you should noise cancel and GB each mode and single Freq. separately and you may even find that the GB reading on the same patch of ground will be different for different modes.  Also, I would suggest that you do your depth comparisons with discrimination removed (i.e., use the horseshoe button).  Your observations seem atypical, so if these recommended normalizations and adjustments continue to show a huge disparity on depth performance, I would recommend contacting the service center.  Good luck.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, palzynski said:

One other thing would be to test an other 600 to see if it behaves like with yours … Perhaps you can borrow a 600 from somebody else ?  Did you ask your seller about his issue? No other idea up to now from my standpoint , perhaps someone else in the forum has an idea ...

I don’t know anyone with an eq 600 around here.  Contacting seller is a no go, he doesn’t respond and has been “not cool” to deal with... so I’ll leave it at that.  Earlier I had some new developments.  I did a reset and multi seemed to regain the strength that I have heard about.  My park 1 and 2 I had disc 20 and up(before the reset that seemed to hurt multi??)because I would be in a 5 foot area digging trash for hours...you wouldn’t believe how trashy our parks are.  This time I opened up with the standard disc and dug a ton of trash but multi seemed better. It is almost impossibly to ground balance because I can’t find a clean spot.  Now...for the first time I had hella emi issues...had to drop to 18 for clarity.  Weird how this hasn’t manifested itself before.  As I tested 5mhz vs multi, multi showed to be the superior choice!  However, later in my hunt when I moved it went back to 5 mhz being the better choice.  Could it be different soils doing this?  I constantly tested one against the other, and I keep having to shift which is why we have those options I assume.  But I didn’t think it would be this taxing in such a short duration on each site.  Overall I do feel a lot better and I hooked into a coin spill earlier!  All passengers aboard...captain coin spill hooked into one!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Recognize also that unlike other detectors, Noise Cancel and GB settings are not universal to each multifrequency mode or even each frequency.   To run an apples to apples test you should noise cancel and GB each mode and single Freq. separately and you may even find that the GB reading on the same patch of ground will be different for different modes.  Also, I would suggest that you do your depth comparisons with discrimination removed (i.e., use the horseshoe button).  Your observations seem atypical, so if these recommended normalizations and adjustments continue to show a huge disparity on depth performance, I would recommend contacting the service center.  Good luck.  

I feel I’m getting close to figuring this out in part to what you said.  I haven’t gb’d with each change because it’s so hard to do it where I’m at and didn’t think it would make a difference.  I eventually can get it done...when I look back at the gb settings=.it has changed drastically and I don’t have tracking on?  I think there is something along the lines of gb, drastic soil changes, initial changes to program, and Proper programming in relation to conditions.  It’s seems like the more disc I have the less effective multi is?  Any truth to that?