GPX 4500 Coil Advice For Beach

Good Morning Treasure Detectives,

My wife was kind enough to purchase for me a New Open Box GPX 4500, for putting up with her for 29 years.  Not exactly her version of this story. June 29 will be 29 years, where did the time go.

Back to subject, it came with the mono and double d coils, but need advise on what coil that is waterproof would be good for saltwater beach. Thinking 15" or about similar size. I have used my Simi Eliptical Mono Commander on my TDI and got great results in wet sand area. but did not put under water, because its only water resistant not proof. I would like to be able to use in wading depth. Yes I know expensive machine for being around water. I have waterproofed my TDI SL and will waterproof the GPX as well. need the extra depth. Didn't know they would be releasing the AQ so soon. would have told wife to wait. I thought the AQ was a year down the road. Maybe on our 30th anniversary. Right now have to use what I have. Moderate mineralization beach looking for jewelry size targets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Happy Hunting and Stay Safe and Healthy to all!

Lonnie

I personally like the Coiltek 12" X 8" DD coil for wading. A 15" coil is going to be harder to swing in water and I personally dig plenty deep with the 12 X 8. If you really want a bigger coil then I would suggest the Coiltek 15" Treasureseeker All Terrain. I use my GPX wading occasionally too, but not in the surf only in calm bays, waves can catch you off guard. I always bungee my GPX to myself just in case I drop it, but I also have rule to never remove my arm from the arm cuff when wading.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abenson said:

I personally like the Coiltek 12" X 8" DD coil for wading. A 15" coil is going to be harder to swing in water and I personally dig plenty deep with the 12 X 8. If you really want a bigger coil then I would suggest the Coiltek 15" Treasureseeker All Terrain. I use my GPX wading occasionally too, but not in the surf only in calm bays, waves can catch you off guard. I always bungee my GPX to myself just in case I drop it, but I also have rule to never remove my arm from the arm cuff when wading.

Good advise! Thxs for reply.

• The title was changed to GPX 4500 Coil Advice For Beach

Thanks Steve, nice thread was glad to see how well he has done at the beach, hoping my trips are as productive. Wished he would have included which coils he was using. if he is still a member maybe I can ask him.

Saw a posting somewhere with a interview with you. You stated you were writing a book, how is or how did that go? any treasure hunting books? how do you like the new toy? AQ? Thanks for all the help, stay safe and healthy.

Yeah, he is an active member. That’s why I pointed you at him in case he missed this thread.

Book is on an unrelated subject, delayed while I take some college classes to boost my knowledge base. Nothing on detecting yet but I’m sneaking up on it. Thanks for asking. :smile:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This guy does a lot of GPX beach detecting......

Thanks Steve great thread! I learn something new every time I come to this forum, this old dog can learn a new trick after all!