Important Announcement From White's Electronics

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Now people spend all their time trying to modify new TDI units to get them to work as well as the very first ones did out of the box in 2008.

Quite a sentence which I guess maybe should have been obvious to me a long time ago but I just never saw it in this light.  And thinking about it, does the reverse process work?  (Surely it's been tried.)  Instead of trying to make the lightweight TDI/SL as powerful as the so-called (original) Pulse Scan TDI, can one make the Pulse Scan TDI lighter, just like you (Steve H.) did with the Garrett ATX --> 'LTX' conversion?  Or am I missing some other advantage of the TDI/SL besides weight?

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am sure Carl that you know I am not knocking the TDI SL directly. I’ve actually been a fan of the machine for what it is, a wonderfully affordable and ergonomic PI that set a benchmark to exceed in my long commentary at the link.

I’m just disappointed that it marked the end instead of a new beginning, and that nothing better ever came from Whites.

I know what you meant, I feel much the same way. The SL was supposed to be a re-boot of the TDI effort. The TDI was difficult to manufacture, it had (I recall) 14 trim pots. The SL had 1 trim pot. The SL suffered a slight depth loss but was more stable. The board was designed to be put in either the SL box or the big TDI box with Lithium power. The intent was an upgrade that had both depth and stability. The board also fit the Beachhunter waterproof box and I built protos for this but it was rejected by mgmt. I hinted at this on the forums and eventually someone (Tom?) picked up on it and released it. There were also extra components on the board to implement ground tracking and a couple of other features. So there was a plan, it just didn't have priority. And the retirement of Dan Geyer left me as the only guy who could (or would) work on it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Quite a sentence which I guess maybe should have been obvious to me a long time ago but I just never saw it in this light.  And thinking about it, does the reverse process work?  (Surely it's been tried.)  Instead of trying to make the lightweight TDI/SL as powerful as the so-called (original) Pulse Scan TDI, can one make the Pulse Scan TDI lighter, just like you (Steve H.) did with the Garrett ATX --> 'LTX' conversion?  Or am I missing some other advantage of the TDI/SL besides weight?

The original TDI had a larger board, bigger battery, not a lot of excess really like the ATX. Whites did a good job of making it about as light as it could be so a lot of effort would not gain many ounces. Best bet was to just hip or chest mount it, as it was made to do out of the box.

What I really wanted was a TDI in MX Sport housing. That would have taken the wind out of the Impulse AQ sails to some degree

• Like 3

Hey guys,

I just joined the group, after hearing about this on facebook.  I'm in the UK and I've been a White's user for 20 years.  I can't get any answers from the UK.  My V3i is in for repair which has been up there since before lockdown started (end of March in the UK) 

Does anyone know if I'll be able to get my V3i back or has White's UK pulled the shutters down as well?  I was thinking if the USA can't supply the UK with Detectors, does that mean they wont be able to get parts too?

Thanks anyone who can shed any light

Hello i am in the UK too bought a coil during the lockdown with no problem

RR

Indeed now that you mention that i think it was more mornings  i got the email somewhere please PM later as i am working now

RR

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 2:58 AM, Snake Eyes said:

Hey guys,

I just joined the group, after hearing about this on facebook.  I'm in the UK and I've been a White's user for 20 years.  I can't get any answers from the UK.  My V3i is in for repair which has been up there since before lockdown started (end of March in the UK) 

Does anyone know if I'll be able to get my V3i back or has White's UK pulled the shutters down as well?  I was thinking if the USA can't supply the UK with Detectors, does that mean they wont be able to get parts too?

Thanks anyone who can shed any light

This company is doing repairs since Whites closed their doors:

Centreville Electronics
9437 Main Street
Manassas, VA 20110
(888) 645-0202
(703) 367-7999
Fax: (703) 367-0868
bobnpaul@centrevilleelectronics.net
www.centrevilleelectronics.net

Hope this helps!
  • Like 1