Important Announcement From White's Electronics

I met a guy the other day... 83 years old and still hunting in the water. Started in the 1960's and has never owned anything but a Whites. He was very sad to see them go.

11 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Not being rude but I think that was part of the problem, that was their target market.  Dedicated long time users.  They did little to encourage new purchasers to the brand with new technology or even keeping up with existing technology of competitors.   They relied on stubborn old mules that would use nothing else.  Only problem is they stick with the detector they bought donkeys years ago as they like it and know it well so that results in few sales for Whites.   I'm very sad to see White's go, I fear one day there will be one or two major brands left and the glory days of cheap high power detectors like the Nox are part of the process, they're there to kill off competition, then prices will accelerate once the competition is gone. 

They have to be careful though, I think it's a dying hobby, every find is getting harder be it gold or old coins and relics.  People are wearing more and more cheap fashion jewellery.  Modern coins are rarely used......  The easy gold nuggets in Africa and other detector gold rush countries can only last so long.

The new range of kids detectors are there to get a new generation into the hobby.  I doubt it will work.  It takes a certain type of person to enjoy detecting, a lot of disappointment.  There is no instant gratification like a lot of people are used to now.

I think you have 2020 vision. No pun intended. I started in the '70's when even mediocre detectors found silver coins all over the place. Gold nugget hunting started for me in the mid '80's. Again lots of virgin sites and not an overabundance of people involved. I saw a kid today on the beach walking with his detector over his shoulder. Not sure why but I wouldn't be surprised if he was bored with it. I find more titanium, chromium and tungsten rings than ever before. Kids get bored easy if there isn't instant gratification. The younger folks will gladly pay $800 for a new phone. Look at what it does!

• Like 2

Who say's detecting is a dying hobby???  Which one of you young guy's are going to catch a ride on one of Elon Musk's rocket's!! To go detecting on the Moon, or Mars!!🚀 

I'll be there with you in spirit!! 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 1:56 PM, phrunt said:

Not being rude but I think that was part of the problem, that was their target market.  Dedicated long time users.  They did little to encourage new purchasers to the brand with new technology or even keeping up with existing technology of competitors.   They relied on stubborn old mules that would use nothing else.  Only problem is they stick with the detector they bought donkeys years ago as they like it and know it well so that results in few sales for Whites.   I'm very sad to see White's go, I fear one day there will be one or two major brands left and the glory days of cheap high power detectors like the Nox are part of the process, they're there to kill off competition, then prices will accelerate once the competition is gone. 

They have to be careful though, I think it's a dying hobby, every find is getting harder be it gold or old coins and relics.  People are wearing more and more cheap fashion jewellery.  Modern coins are rarely used......  The easy gold nuggets in Africa and other detector gold rush countries can only last so long.

The new range of kids detectors are there to get a new generation into the hobby.  I doubt it will work.  It takes a certain type of person to enjoy detecting, a lot of disappointment.  There is no instant gratification like a lot of people are used to now.

all excellent points nobody really wants to admit it, but it's an "older man's" hobby, especially in regard
to finding coins and jewelry, perhaps gold, and beach hunting, not so much.they knew what was going on, and refused to get involved.
did not want to invest time and money chasing an ever shrinking market. the owner was aged ,and knew it was time to get out.  they milked that cow for all it was worth, but the end was near, and they knew it!  i am hopeful that all the "most deserving" personnel
will land comparable positions elsewhere.their lives depend on this.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

• Like 1