Important Announcement From White's Electronics

First of all, you need to realize that Equinox is a very effective detector at its price ... and the third firmware confirms that it wants to go further ...

That doesn't change the fact that MXT is super Good .... and Spectra V3 ... if it had another upgrade that was planned, it would also be significantly higher than it is now ....

Although my colleague claims that the original.. Spectra-Vision.. was the sharpest and deepest of all Spectra ... He already had 4 Spectra ..and he still uses Vision....

In 2 months we will hopefully do some Whites Spectra-Vision, V3.. and V3i tests on the test field .... and confirm or refute this idea ...

• Like 3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just received this email! Important Information from White's Electronics June 18, 2020 To our valued

This was very unexpected, I thought they had another 5 years just coasting. White's had a lot of problems, but I gotta say that in all the jobs I've had the past 40 years, the 6 with White's was by fa

There were a lot of problems, starting with the family. They never had a high opinion of engineers and thought they could be easily replaced as needed. And one particular engineer with an outsized ego

Posted Images

Yep the V3/V3i was well ahead of it's time and in one respect it is almost future proof, Like a couple of early Whites machines you had to be a rocket scientist to understand them, They have far more adjustability beyond the scope of most detectorists, and if they had given it the MXT's Tracking it would of been even hotter on Gold for those who like an All In One machine.

• Like 2

And maybe, just maybe, someone, somewhere can legally “purchase” the V3i platform, along with all the codes and IP rights.....and take it further...much further?

We can all hope, right đź‘Ť

• Like 3

Steve, and Others With Contacts.

Whites has been around for so long with many thousands of machines still in use and many loyal customers who will still want to keep those machines and will need service and parts, yes I understand there is a service agent.

It just seems to Me that someone could use that service and parts business base to sustain the company while going through unused ideas and patents to develop new products, such as a V3i and High Power TDI in a Sport case Etc. I have several ideas myself.

MY Question To You --

Do you know of anyone with the financial means to just buy the operation outright with cash.?

Yes it would be risky, But a true Detector Enthusiast that has money to risk could turn the company around and either keep it for the fun and maybe pass it to their kids, or sell it once recovered.

I say buy for cash, because unless there was a mass amount of money thrown at it (not recommended) the secret would be to not have large overhead from company debt, then the repair business and minimal sales could sustain it until sales return.

As For Me,  I have a small Technical Troubleshooting Business in Arizona and do not have such cash, but what I would be willing to do is move to Sweethome and spearhead the Repair Business and General Recovery of the business, if you can find such an Enthusiast, I as another Life Long Enthusiast will supply my management and repair business expertise at a minimal cost for a stake in Saving An Industry Icon.

Gary

• Like 1

The sentiment is nice but Whites willingness to give a thought about their customers has been less than economical and I think you would be hard stretch to find anyone here willing to help a company that has ignored the many requests for simple features for at leased the past 10 years in favour of their own career goals, Whites had the machines that could out gun all other VLF's 10/20 years before everyone else but they rode that train too long, If they had added the new features to a couple of their machines they would still be at the top, Companies from the EU saw the value in listening to their customers and Whites started the beginning of the end and even now they are blaming other countries for their downfall, They did not listen and they knew better, Or so they thought.

As companies go they don't deserve a second chance if the current management is involved,

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

The last thing I would do if involved is pay money for an old, high cost production facility. It's a liability, not an asset. There are already people positioned to do repairs in the future, though that may come at a cost rather than under warranty. There are few assets one need buy. What patents do you think exist that would prevent anyone else from making a TDI or V3i, as long as the obvious look and feel issues were circumvented? None that I know of.

I could see some foreign company that wanted legal access to the American market buying the rights, and immediately moving production offshore to lower costs. Not much else makes sense to me other than selling off assets for a dime on the dollar.

• Like 2

Steve,

Whites should still have a patent on a Combo VLF PI detector if the rumor was true, and they did still produce until recently anyway products, it's hard to believe their production cost are much higher than any other U.S based detector manufacturer, given they are in a little town with relatively low wages, the service side I see as mainly just a backup income for times like now and the natural economy fluctuations, the main worth of the company is a 70 year customer base, BUT that worth declines rapidly if they stay closed, so it needs to stay open until new models start selling, and Serious Upgrades for old models could bring in new revenue also. I would push to develop a new basic universal main control board to use on almost every unit to greatly cut costs, and justify retail costs between models by level of additional features in programming and clock speed, Pulse machines or their successor could also use that board with an added timing feature or a small separate board, but all interface work would be done by the universal board, the V3i has the technology, it just needs to use updated faster smaller electronics. My guess is other companies have already consolidated parts more then Whites, and certainly miniaturized more, like with the Nox.

I am offering to head that effort, but only if someone has the funds and gonads to risk them, I'm not interested in a job, I already have a successful company, I would like to be a partner in saving a once great company that needs my help and is in a industry at the heart of a hobby I have been hooked on since building my first detector from old broken Transistor Radio parts in the 60's, pre High School.

Covid could be a blessing if industry wakes up and sees they are far too dependent on imported parts, supplies and finished goods, most electronics manufacturing is now automated so wages are less of a factor in production costs.

Gary.

Politics is prohibited here, so that bit by you got deleted. I’m sure you know more about all this than I do. Best of luck finding somebody to fund your dream.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Knomad said:

it's hard to believe their production cost are much higher than any other U.S based detector manufacturer, given they are in a little town with relatively low wages,

A couple of possible holes in your theory, just my opinions but worth thinking about.

Production costs usually relate to labour, the less staff required the cheaper production is.  The reason some factories can pump out stuff cheap is very little is made by hand, was this the case at Whites?  I suspect First Texas may have a low labour factory with some robotics.  Offshore manufacturing in Asia seems to be the way the world is going towards cheaper manufacturing.

The main worth of the company is a 70 year customer base, BUT that worth declines rapidly if they stay closed, so it needs to stay open until new models start selling

The same customer base is also dying off, moving on from Whites to other brands or retired from detecting.  That's partly why they're in this mess, few were buying their products.

Serious Upgrades for old models could bring in new revenue also. I would push to develop a new basic universal main control board to use on almost every unit to greatly cut costs, and justify retail costs between models by level of additional features in programming and clock speed,

Old detectors software was written for certain processors/hardware, not easily ported over to new hardware, if the person who wrote it is even capable of doing that.  If only it was so simple, it's might be best to redesign from the ground up which in most cases maybe the only option, then, what makes you think they'd sell after all that effort and expense? Cheaper prices due to cheaper manufacturing? I am betting some of the other manufacturers can go a lot cheaper than they're selling now if they needed to.

Sometimes it's best just to let it go, although your dedication is admirable.

• Like 5

The upgrades I had in mind are not generally software, and would give reasons to stay with the brand until the new models keep them.

And the price of Robotics has come WAY down so production could greatly improve with low investment.

As for no politics on the site, those were Facts regarding the politics of manufacturing , not politics for politics.

SO, I guess No One has Contacts that have funds and like a Good Noble Challenge.?