Important Announcement From White's Electronics

That’s a nice looking arsenal!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Funny, my DFX, V3i, and 24K have not one knob among the three. I actually like knobs from an operational standpoint, but for Alaska style rain and mud, wipe off touch pads were a big step forward.

whites-tdi-mud.jpg

Thats my new screen saver 

RR

• Like 1

White’s detectors......built for that sort of treatment, year after year. 👍

One reason I use protective covers on my machines when on the beach and when the elements flex their muscle.

I did invest in Theosaurus covers and Protectors for all my machines, the Tdi Pro has a set of covers but usually gets the chest mount treatment to keep it out of the dirt. That Tdi Pulse Scan looks as if it has seen a full days work, wow Alaska is even more interesting to me after seeing that image..  I'll take Australia's fine red dust over Alaska's mud any day, we have flies you have mosquitoes..

All the best.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l200.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Funny, my DFX, V3i, and 24K have not one knob among the three. I actually like knobs from an operational standpoint, but for Alaska style rain and mud, wipe off touch pads were a big step forward.

whites-tdi-mud.jpg

That's what my 4WD looks like after i've been bogged . You have turned detecting into a mud run !

There is a story behind the muddy machine. I was a TDI prototype tester. More than that really... I had a bit to do with White's buying the rights from Eric Foster, and got to work with Eric a little on the project. In any case, I used my connections to lobby for and get the first four TDI units made shipped to me for immediate use at my Moore Creek mining operation. The goal - find gold nuggets for the promotion of the new detector. We supplied the TDI to our clients, and gold was indeed found. It was a great machine to hand a newbie. Just set the controls and tell them not to move them. Anyway, this guy strapped the TDI on the back of a ATV and went mud bogging. It looks bad, but me and my toothbrush made it look almost new again. The rod he also bent in the process - not so much! :laugh:

This is all appropriate to the thread however. When Eric hooked up with White's, I figured the first TDI would be for White's like the SD2000 was for Minelab. A new platform that would be continually developed, each new version better than the next, with White's giving Minelab a real run for the money. We did get the TDI Pro, with just a bare tweak of tuning, but that was it. Then came the watered down TDI SL, a nice machine in it's own right, but surely not what I thought would eventually replace the more powerful early TDI units. The bottom line is White's balked at the expense and extra handling required of high power battery systems, and wanted to go with their revered 8 AA battery system so common to all their units. They went with well behaved and decent price over pure power. Now people spend all their time trying to modify new TDI units to get them to work as well as the very first ones did out of the box in 2008.

The first 200 were hand made and finely tuned. I had about 6 of those, and kind of wish I had kept one. But the reality is there are better detectors now. Oh well.

whites-pulsescan-tdi-prototype.jpg
My TDI prototype in Hawaii in 2007

• Like 3

The TDI-SL was purely a development for Africa. The intent was a simple AA battery system and sub-$1000 price tag. Some were built and sent to Africa but it didn't catch on, so the SL was released for domestic sales. I argued hard for a sub-$1000 price tag but lost.

If you look at the PCB on the SL you will see some unstuffed parts that were for future development, including auto ground track. But then I got onto truncated half-sine and the performance was so much better that I completely abandoned the TDI platform. The reason half-sine never saw the light of day is because, for 3 years, I was diverted to developing a security walk-thru which, after I finished the project and even built a production line, was canceled. There is more to the walk-thru story I may tell one day; it is probably the key reason White's failed.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

8 hours ago, Geotech said:

The TDI-SL was purely a development for Africa. The intent was a simple AA battery system and sub-$1000 price tag. Some were built and sent to Africa but it didn't catch on, so the SL was released for domestic sales. I argued hard for a sub-$1000 price tag but lost.

If you look at the PCB on the SL you will see some unstuffed parts that were for future development, including auto ground track. But then I got onto truncated half-sine and the performance was so much better that I completely abandoned the TDI platform. The reason half-sine never saw the light of day is because, for 3 years, I was diverted to developing a security walk-thru which, after I finished the project and even built a production line, was canceled. There is more to the walk-thru story I may tell one day; it is probably the key reason White's failed.

I am sure Carl that you know I am not knocking the TDI SL directly. I’ve actually been a fan of the machine for what it is, a wonderfully affordable and ergonomic PI that set a benchmark to exceed in my long commentary at the link.

I’m just disappointed that it marked the end instead of a new beginning, and that nothing better ever came from Whites.

That walk through huh? In 2006 when I visited White’s Alan Holcombe gave me the tour. And with some pride showed me the highly secret project they were working on even then... the walk though detector. No doubt hoping to emulate Garrett’s success in that arena. Sorry to hear that it derailed things those of us here would much rather have seen. Half sine was my hope for the Hail Mary pass that would save White’s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am sure Carl that you know I am not knocking the TDI SL directly. I’ve actually been a fan of the machine for what it is, a wonderfully affordable and ergonomic PI that set a benchmark to exceed in my long commentary at the link.

I’m just disappointed that it marked the end instead of a new beginning, and that nothing better ever came from Whites.

That walk through huh? In 2006 when I visited White’s Alan Holcombe gave me the tour. And with some pride showed me the highly secret project they were working on even then... the walk though detector. No doubt hoping to emulate Garrett’s success in that arena. Sorry to hear that it derailed things those of us here would much rather have seen. Half sine was my hope for the Hail Mary pass that would save White’s.

Look like Whites boss walk through................ the gate of hell with a jerrycan of petrol in each hands..............

RR

• Haha 1