White’s Electronics Done After 70 Years

White’s was the company which build the detector what made metal detecting a great hobby to me. The beginning detector was the XLT. Yes, I tried different models from other manufacturers but ever came back to White’s.

Still own three of their detectors, a lot of coils and accessories…and sure will keep it.

Makes me sad to see them go.

• Like 3

Better get those TRXs while you can. They really are that good. The F-Pulse and Tek-Point are really it's only competition for what it does. I'm going to put at least 1 additional unit away along with a couple shells. Keep your eyes out for any of Whites famous Garage sales as well. 

As an aside, I could see a company like Garrett being interested in some of what Whites leaves behind. This seems to have been in the works of months if you think back. Garrett has the will to survive. They've shown that. I now find myself more worried about FT in the hobby arena anyway. Maybe there is no money in the low end anymore. There is still room in the high end for the right machine. It's just now you really have to make meaningful advances to sell a machine. The old strategies no longer work. The bottom has been raised that much. So has the middle. Make something better than the Equinox or CTX and I know I'd pony up for American made top shelf. 

• Like 1

That’s so sad 😞I hope that not true, I wish that,

Whites Electronics made great detectors. 

I stand by you Whites Electronics, I put my Extremely knowledgeable to developing Beach metal detector for White’s Electronics.

Copy and Paste from “White’s Electronics Forum “

The news is all over the Sweet Home Community Facebook pages Click on avatar photo for Pre Whites Electronics photo 

Read notice carefully, suspending manufacturing operations at Sweet Home. Transfer of technology and manufacturing to somewhere else been said before if the costs go up here they were done here.

Picture is from FB.

F07247A4-19F2-4C4D-ABE9-868BC9691A43.jpeg

• Like 3

I think the introduction of the Fisher AQ helped drive another nail in the coffin....

Steve's review of the AQ and the implied notion amongst the beach detecting crowd that the TDI may now possibly be "obsolete" - well that couldn't have helped any with their tough business decision...

Well, I feel about the same with Whites closing up as I did when International Harvester stopped making pick-up trucks. There was a certain inevitability in both cases as they both failed for a lot of the same reasons.

• Like 1

The first detector I ever used back in the late 70s was a Whites, and it's sad to see the end of this company. 

Here in Australia the QED has survived the derogatory abuse hurled at it by a certain section of the detector fraternity, and is going 'gang busters'. No big advertising campaign, just word of mouth and testimonials on forums and Facebook. Some components including stem and handle options will need to be reconsidered as Whites were one of the suppliers among others such as Detech.  The virus has forced QED to design an Australian made handle solution, which has become viable due to the big jump in sales. This is a good thing really as the new design will be an improvement on the imported options, functional as they are, and no price increase is envisioned.

Some time back Whites showed an interest in producing the QED but talks broke down due to a disagreement regarding royalties. I wonder what would have happened if the differences had been overcome.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Some time back Whites showed an interest in producing the QED but talks broke down due to a disagreement regarding royalties. I wonder what would have happened if the differences had been overcome.

If that was ~8 years, it was not over royalties. It was over behavior.

There were more recent negotiations that you may not have been aware of.

• Like 1

A real shocker!