White’s Electronics Done After 70 Years

Won't mention the name of the company, but there is one that manufactures in a slave market, producing heavy mine detectors recoloured and passed off as prospecting tools that dominates the world market. A bit like Henry Ford who at one stage said "you can have any colour you like as long as it is black."

• Like 1

My first metal detector was a Coinmaster 3 TR that I bought from Knapp's Metal Detector Sales in Berea, Ohio way back in 1972.  An old guy was selling White's out of his house.  It cost $169.99 if I remember correctly and I didn't have enough money from my paper route so my mom "invested" $50.00 in my detector so I could buy it.  I still have it to to this day.  I found a lot of good stuff in the old days and that detector was responsible for my best find ever, a diamond ring found on a beach called "Gem Beach" on Lake Erie.  Sure will miss White's.

9 MX7 and 3TR.jpg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

My first metal detector was a Coinmaster 3 TR....

That's a pretty revealing contrast -- almost all metal to almost all plastic in 40+ years.  You sure have kept it in original condition.  Your investor probably had something to do with that.  😁  I wonder if that was one of the first with an angled hand-hold.  The introduction of ergonomics to metal detectors!

One unintended(?) irony in the photo is that your MX-Sport has the cable neatly wound up the shaft while just the opposite on the relic.  If it's like my (approaching) antique detectors, moving the cable around made it false, wheras with modern detectors it doesn't seem to matter.  (Probably exceptions to that statement, though.)

I'm just curious, anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to buy out White's patents, trademarks, tooling, supplies and other business related stuff aside from their real estate if they did shut down?

At this point, it's too late in the game with too many competitors moving the right direction already for me to be interested alone. But I'm just curious, because 5-10 years ago I might have given it some serious consideration, and having not been a business person in my lifetime with experience in such sales, I'm curious what such a purchase would cost?

27 minutes ago, jasong said:

I'm just curious, anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to buy out White's patents, trademarks, tooling, supplies and other business related stuff aside from their real estate if they did shut down?

At this point, it's too late in the game with too many competitors moving the right direction already for me to be interested. But I'm just curious, because 5-10 years ago I might have given it some serious consideration, and having not been a business person in my lifetime with experience in such sales, I'm curious what such a purchase would cost?

I'm gonna head over this week and try to get that answer.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

A shame to see the end of a company that pioneered hand held metal detectors, and the people involved in its history. The reasons for the demise of this once proud company are myriad, but what craps me are them that were once involved and recompensed for their involvement in that company are the first to sink the boots in when the crap hits the fan. 

Rubbish! History records their involvement, and despite protestations the facts have been recorded.

If directed at me, I hold no grudges towards White's. As I've said, in 40 years of employment it was the funnest 6 years I've ever had. My first real detector was a 6000/D and I still use a V3. I always had hopes that someone would get things turned around before this happened and I wish it had been me.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Geotech said:

If directed at me, I hold no grudges towards White's. As I've said, in 40 years of employment it was the funnest 6 years I've ever had. My first real detector was a 6000/D and I still use a V3. I always had hopes that someone would get things turned around before this happened and I wish it had been me.

I have an unused Blue Box 5900Di still in it's original box,  It has some serious Horsepower,

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I had a look up what that was, a quick google revealed yours 🙂

Yeah it's a beautiful piece of kit and more horsepower than any VLF on the market, with a 9" coil it will easily do what a modern VLF will do with an 18" coil, It has some other smart tricks up it's sleeve to and it's balance is absolutely perfect even if t is a Chubby looking thing.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I'm gonna head over this week and try to get that answer.

Is that something you can share once you find out? Or official Fisher business?