White’s Electronics Done After 70 Years

25 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Well I personally hope someone buys out Whites or at least a few of their products.  The 24k needs to stay in the market place as it's up there with if not the best gold prosecuting VLF available.    The TRX is also regarded as one of the best pin pointers on the market. 

I got my fingers burnt over the TRX, My main VLF is the MXT All Pro and it runs at 13.889khz so I put the question up on their forum and asked if the TRX would cross talk with my MXT because the TRX runs at 14khz their new moderator told me no it would be fine and so did the rest I also asked the man in charge and he said no it won't cross talk and it would be fine, So I bought it and tried it and the flaming thing would not shut up, And yes it will detect coins well around the 4" mark but having a pin pointer do that is stupid because the Idea is to use it to zoom in on the target but if there is other junk in the hole the rotten thing won't shut up Plus the fact when it comes to finding tiny nuggets and stuff the older Bullseye II is a far better product and it way more sensitive to tiny targets because the Bullseye II runs at 36khz and the sensitivity is 100% variable and does not have 3 or 4 pre set steps like the TRX does,

So I went back to using the Bullseye II and gave the TRX away,  my Bullseye II can detect bits down to 0.03gm +/- which is more than enough, and is the closest thing you can get without buying one of those high kHz Falcon pin pointer, Yes the bullseye looks dated but it is the better one of the two, I wish they had put the bullseye II in to the TRX housing because it would of been the best pin pointer ever made, I once asked whites if they would do that but it fell on deaf ears, and the only thing they did do that I kept asking for was  the 6" round concentric for the GMT, I also asked them for a 6x10 Concentric for the GMT also because they are mega hot on the GMT and I only found that out by buying one of the older Goldmaster 6x10' concentrics for my GMT and it made it as hot as the 71khz GoldBug II.

But I am not sure if they ever made a concentric in 6x10 for the GMT, or if they made one for the GMT 24k,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

I got my fingers burnt over the TRX, My main VLF is the MXT All Pro and it runs at 13.889khz so I put the question up on their forum and asked if the TRX would cross talk with my MXT because the TRX runs at 14khz their new moderator told me no it would be fine and so did the rest I also asked the man in charge and he said no it won't cross talk and it would be fine, So I bought it and tried it and the flaming thing would not shut up, And yes it will detect coins well around the 4" mark but having a pin pointer do that is stupid because the Idea is to use it to zoom in on the target but if there is other junk in the hole the rotten thing won't shut....

You start out discussing the TRX-MXT crosstalk.  Is the latter part of this cut-and-paste ("if there is other junk in the hole the rotten thing won't shut....") also referring to specifically the cross talk issue?

47 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Well that explains why I kept reading the Whites pinpointer was great on tiny gold and I found it wasn't that good at all with my Garrett AT performing about the same if not better..... I have a TRX, I needed to get a Bullseye II.  I didn't know there was two! Bugger, I bought the wrong one 🙂  I even thought mine was either faulty or fake as it didn't meet my expectations.

The Bullseye II is nothing flash but they are built like a tank and not pretty, but they work.

What annoyed me was all the wild claims of the TRX being better with zero cross talk than the Bullseye II, But look at all the Gold VLF's, they run at 45, 48, 50, 56, 60 and 71khz so how on earth can a 14khz machine be more sensitive than a 36khz machine,

I don't need a pin pointer to pick up coins from 4 to 6 inches away in an Iron infested site I need it to keep it's power contained but also be sensitive to tiny targets,

44 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

You start out discussing the TRX-MXT crosstalk.  Is the latter part of this cut-and-paste ("if there is other junk in the hole the rotten thing won't shut....") also referring to specifically the cross talk issue?

No it's not cut and paste,  It's a fact,  when they cross talk the TRX makes a 13/14khz chatter and squeak and make pulsing noises in the same way if you and ya mate are using the same detector and you start getting too close to eachother,

IE, when the MXT 300 series came out they had a 12" concentric coil and they would pull coins from up to 16" deep in some soils but me and a mate were using two MXT's with that coil and I could hear him coming towards me from about 100m away, That coil and the MXT running the gain up high has some serious power and makes it impossible for you to work within 20 to 30m of each other. and the TRX upsets the MXT and vice versa,

18 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

No when they cross talk the TRX...

Ok.  My concern isn't about the crosstalk (although I don't want to downplay that as I'm sure it's frustrating) but rather what you said later:

1 hour ago, auminesweeper said:

And yes it will detect coins well around the 4" mark but having a pin pointer do that is stupid because the Idea is to use it to zoom in on the target but if there is other junk in the hole the rotten thing won't shut up

This is inconsistent with my TRX experiences.  (I don't have an MXT and although my pinpointers sometimes cause my ML Eqx 800 to chatter when the pinpointers are sounding off, I just live with it.)

I have wondered if the time-of-build of the TRX affects its performance.  Specifically I speculate the very early ones performed one way and later ones differently.  I think this is a not particularly uncommon occurrence with metal detectors -- either the early ones aren't quite right and user complaints lead to improvement on later units OR a detector is hot and the complaints lead the manufacturers to turn down the max gain/sensitivity or some other feature.  I know Steve H. (probably others, too) have talked about the latter on multiple occasions.

In my case, I own two although one needs repairs (pushbutton has worn out; hope I can still get that fixed...).  I bought a second one when the original (pink housing) started wearing out and never got a chance to test them side-by-side, but it did seem they acted differently.  (The second one is the dark gray body with orange cap -- I suspect it is an earlier build than the pinkie, but don't know for sure.)  Both of them are very good at their locating abilities, much better (in my experience) than the Garrett Carrot (which I also own).  What you describe has never happened to me.  (To be specific about this statement, the TRX has a more focused 'beam' straight off the tip whereas the Carrot has a broad, wide angle sensitive pattern.  The Carrot has its advantages when trying to find a tiny out-of-the-hole object or when the desired target turns out to be in the side of the hole as opposed to the center where you thought it should be.)

I recall a YouTube video where an air test is performed and I was never able to get my pink unit to detect coins as far from the tip as shown in that video.  (If someone cares I'll see if I can find it.)  I assume the video was taken with one of the early units.  Yes, I figured out how to up the gain on mine to the max and still couldn't reproduce what was shown in the video.

• Like 2

Was a dedicated White's user for years and at one time had 6 of their detectors. But for all the reasons already stated (plus some lousy customer service experiences) I sold them all off some time ago. I just had a hunch they were going down..........a real shame.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Ok.  My concern isn't about the crosstalk (although I don't want to downplay that as I'm sure it's frustrating) but rather what you said later:

This is inconsistent with my TRX experiences.  (I don't have an MXT and although my pinpointers sometimes cause my ML Eqx 800 to chatter when the pinpointers are sounding off, I just live with it.)

I have wondered if the time-of-build of the TRX affects its performance.  Specifically I speculate the very early ones performed one way and later ones differently.  I think this is a not particularly uncommon occurrence with metal detectors -- either the early ones aren't quite right and user complaints lead to improvement on later units OR a detector is hot and the complaints lead the manufacturers to turn down the max gain/sensitivity or some other feature.  I know Steve H. (probably others, too) have talked about the latter on multiple occasions.

In my case, I own two although one needs repairs (pushbutton has worn out; hope I can still get that fixed...).  I bought a second one when the original (pink housing) started wearing out and never got a chance to test them side-by-side, but it did seem they acted differently.  (The second one is the dark gray body with orange cap -- I suspect it is an earlier build than the pinkie, but don't know for sure.)  Both of them are very good at their locating abilities, much better (in my experience) than the Garrett Carrot (which I also own).  What you describe has never happened to me.  (To be specific about this statement, the TRX has a more focused 'beam' straight off the tip whereas the Carrot has a broad, wide angle sensitive pattern.  The Carrot has its advantages when trying to find a tiny out-of-the-hole object or when the desired target turns out to be in the side of the hole as opposed to the center where you thought it should be.)

I recall a YouTube video where an air test is performed and I was never able to get my pink unit to detect coins as far from the tip as shown in that video.  (If someone cares I'll see if I can find it.)  I assume the video was taken with one of the early units.  Yes, I figured out how to up the gain on mine to the max and still couldn't reproduce what was shown in the video.

I just wrote a long reply answering your questions and my internet dropped out and I lost the lot,

But as for cross talk it can render things like pin pointers useless even more so with a High Gain machine like the MXT and because the TRX's frequency is close to what the MXT runs make the TRX a bad choice when it comes to detectors that run on either 13, 14, and 15khz, If you are using a high KHz detector then the problem will be minimum, but if you are using 13, 14,and 15Khz then you would be better off using the Bullseye II because it runs at 36khz and you will get zero cross talk Not only that the Bullseye II is more sensitive to tiny items and it will also work well with the higher frequency machines as well because their frequency is above that of which the Bullseyee II uses,

hope that helps.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well that explains why I kept reading the Whites pinpointer was great on tiny gold and I found it wasn't that good at all with my Garrett AT performing about the same if not better..... I have a TRX, I needed to get a Bullseye II.  I didn't know there was two! Bugger, I bought the wrong one 🙂  I even thought mine was either faulty or fake as it didn't meet my expectations.

The TRX will typically detect under 1 grain, usually down to about 1/2 grain and gets coins at 3-4 inches. The Bullseye II is good down to 1 or 2 grains and coins to 1" or so. You may get lucky and find a Bullseye that will hit under a grain, or unlucky and find a TRX that will not.

On interference, luck also plays a vital role. Any model pinpointer is capable of interfering with any model detector. All detectors and pinpointers run at a frequency that has manufacturing variance, and it's the variance that makes one TRX interfere with one MXT, but not another. I specifically recall testing the TRX with several MXTs and saw no interference, but I knew then as now that wasn't a guaranteed outcome for everyone.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jasong said:

Is that something you can share once you find out? Or official Fisher business?

Strictly personal. I will leave it to White's what I can and cannot say.

• Like 1