White’s Electronics Closing Doors After 70 Years

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/12929-important-announcement-from-whites-electronics/

9A168A52-66DB-4B2F-BA7F-919589504D44.png

Important Information from White's Electronics

June 18, 2020

To our valued White's Dealers-

This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics.

We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable.

All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely, 

Ken White

American Made Metal Detectors since 1950

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just got home, and found out. I wonder if the warranty on my GM24k will still be honored. My 6 x10 is falsing on the right side. Has been ever since new. Tried to live with it, but it was really bad in Nevada, and I decided I needed to send it in. I guess it'll be what it'll be. Sure breaks my heart then they're closing.

Jim

• Like 1

As long as a company is solvent, it can’t just stop warranty responsibilities on a whim. The owner can’t basically screw the customers and walk away with a pile of money. In most cases it takes a bankruptcy to shed various business obligations, and warranty is an obligation. But a complicated subject and varies a lot with the business structure and state laws.

https://www.proremodeler.com/out-business-still-liable

Long story short, I would be surprised if after having some of the best service in the industry Whites abandons their customers now. The situation would have to be far more dire than I think it is for that to happen.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3688-whites-electronics-visit-and-a-new-v3i/

• Like 3

Even including warranty repairs, the White's repair center always made a net profit for the company. So they may either keep it open or pass it off to someone else. One thing about White's is that it is located on Kenny's home property. The buildings and content don't have to be cleared out, and small portions can be kept running at little or no cost.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I just got home, and found out. I wonder if the warranty on my GM24k will still be honored. My 6 x10 is falsing on the right side. Has been ever since new. Tried to live with it, but it was really bad in Nevada, and I decided I needed to send it in. I guess it'll be what it'll be. Sure breaks my heart then they're closing.

Jim

I'm pretty sure they will take care of you. I sent in a GMT for repairs, and it was delivered to them yesterday. I'll call today to check and see what's happening. We should be ok for a while.

• Like 2

Bought a coil from the center in Scotland a month and half ago pro service!

RR

Centerville Electronics (888-645-6911 Paul) is now the service and warranty company. isn't like the old days notwithstanding the current state of flux. My unit is definitely under warranty, and Whites would have sent a new coil, and asked me to send them the old one. Centerville doesn't have the coils, and said I'd have to send them the old one (I assume so they could, try and repair it. That's OK, but I would be without a10" coil for a couple of weeks, or longer. So, the formerly GREAT customer service may be a thing of the past. We'll see.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to see an another American company close their doors.  

Guys,

As I read this they are NOT going out of business, Ken is Retiring, and with all that is going on and his retirement it is a Good Time to just stop and decide the future of the company.

Yes I saw something coming after the old man died and they stopped innovating, But they still have a good customer base, so I suspect another family member will take it over or it will be sold, I only hope they get back to being cutting edge (that may take investment money they don't have) and retain their great customer service.

I wish them all the best,

from a Guy who has owned one or more Whites Detectors Continually for 35 years.

• Like 2

That's a nice optimistic view, but there is zero chance of another family member taking over. Ken is not retiring by choice, but because the company is failing. The latest inside information is that the company is for sale in whole or in parts. I've owned White's detectors myself since 1972, but that does not change reality. I would not hold my breath waiting for White's to return to anything like it's former glory. But like you, I wish them all the best. Maybe some miracle unforeseen will happen against all odds.

Welcome to the forum! :smile: