Fisher Impulse AQ Rod Length Measurements

Note from Steve H - I made a comment on my first use of the Fisher Impulse AQ that the rod was a little too short - FOR ME. That has been picked up on to mean I am saying the rod is too short, and well, how could they? I don't think so, same rod as has been used on 1280-x and CZ-20 etc for like 40 years. I am just very particular in rod length and positioning, and 1/4” off will bug me. The stock rod is an inch too short for my liking is all, but I like a long reach and sweep if I so desire it. I am 5' 11" tall. See my post later on down this thread for measurements with photos, and you can decide for yourself. The main thing is the rod is two piece, and that limits the adjustment. The original Manta rod was three piece, but it was metal and prone to corrosion, so they went to the CZ fiberglass rod instead.

This is Badgers original post, moved from another thread:

I guess they weren't kidding when they said the connectors were fragile.

Too bad the stock shaft is so short. I'm six feet tall and it sounds like the LTD would be way too short for me without that middle rod.

2 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I guess they weren't kidding when they said the connectors were fragile.

Too bad the shaft is so short. I'm six feet tall and it sounds like the LTD would be way too short for me.

Badger - add the middle rod...$9.99 by retailer but maybe Fisher will throw in???

5 hours ago, barryny said:

Badger - add the middle rod...$9.99 by retailer but maybe Fisher will throw in???

I know. It just bothers me a bit that they would let it out the door this way knowing that it would be a problem for a lot of people and come back as complaint in the reviews. It makes it appear that it was rushed into production which I guess it was. Not the best marketing technique to promote the future model.

Took photos and measurements so you can all compare to detectors you have to see if the length... or the extension... will work for you. Also gives you idea of suitcase size needed for travel.

fisher-impulse-aq-lower-rod-length.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ lower rod- top of coil to end
Indent positioner tab is 1.5" from upper end

We need a part number and price on the lower rod ASAP. It is a new part, and you know they are going to get broken. That old lower rod you have - that is not going to work.

fisher-impulse-aq-upper-rod-length.jpg
Upper rod - key number 10" front middle elbow bolt to front edge of grip

fisher-impulse-aq-extended-rod-length.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ stock, fully extended, 48.5" to elbow bolt, 38.5" from grip to coil

fisher-impulse-aq-extra-extended-rod-length.jpg
Standard Fisher middle rod added, shortest adjustment, 52" to elbow from coil, 42" from grip to coil

Note that lower rod can be cut down, finding a middle ground which would probably be the best of both worlds.

Standard Fisher middle rod, about $10, nine adjustment holes.

fisher-metal-detector-middle-rod-section.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve - thanks for taking the time to do the measurements and post the pictures...that 52" minimum is just about the length I'm at with my straight shaft setup for the excal....and knowing that the lower rod can be cut is a bonus!

Rick - it should be a gimme that they throw this extra piece in...

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 3:00 PM, barryny said:

Steve - thanks for taking the time to do the measurements and post the pictures...that 52" minimum is just about the length I'm at with my straight shaft setup for the excal....and knowing that the lower rod can be cut is a bonus!

It is fiberglass so easy enough to cut down. Just need to drill and reposition the detent pin. I’m going to cut mine so it ends up in the middle of the center rod, with plenty of adjustment each way. Right now it’s a little on the long side for me, but way better than being too short. Looks like I have time now while I wait for a new power cable.

• Like 2

I was told once that for much of the last 50-60 years things have been constructed to fit a 5'8" individual as that is the assumed average height of adult males in the U.S. I don't know if it's true but once again being 5'7" seems as though its going to pay off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Geez I'm 5'11" and considered quite short.  My wife says my pants drag along the ground as my legs are too short.

You're going to struggle if you ever decide to become a ninja. 🤪

No!, Simon is already a Ninja! A "Coin Ninja"!:ph34r: (With long pants)!😂👍👍

• Like 1