Coil Question On XP Orx- Can You Install A New Battery In The Coil

47 minutes ago, Kaolin washer said:

I see that the coil itself has a battery, in it ? question how hard is it to replace one , or is it even possible ?

Yes of course.

• Like 1

USA XP repair center will do this replacement for about the same cost as the kit if you are not an adept DIYer.  If I were planning to use the coil in the water, I sure as heck would not trust myself to do that repair and be assured of a fully watertight coil on the back end of that surgery.  I would pay to have it professionally repaced.  I have owned my Deus for over 5 years and the batteries are still going strong, but I know I will have to bite the bullet now sooner rather than later.  Not something a new Deus/Orx  owner has to worry about for at least 4 to 6 years.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

USA XP repair center will do this replacement for about the same cost as the kit if you are not an adept DIYer.  If I were planning to use the coil in the water, I sure as heck would not trust myself to do that repair and be assured of a fully watertight coil on the back end of that surgery.  I would pay to have it professionally repaced.  I have owned my Deus for over 5 years and the batteries are still going strong, but I know I will have to bite the bullet now sooner rather than later.  Not something a new Deus/Orx  owner has to worry about for at least 4 to 6 years.

On the other hand, if you want something done right do it yourself!  People are more "professional" depending on how they "feel" that day. We all know this to be true. How many times has a "professional" took shortcuts and truly screwed something up worse than you EVER would? It is a delicate looking surgery but personally I'd do it myself.

• Like 2

If it is about the same price your better off letting them service it. If something goes wrong then it is on them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RobNC said:

On the other hand, if you want something done right do it yourself!  People are more "professional" depending on how they "feel" that day. We all know this to be true. How many times has a "professional" took shortcuts and truly screwed something up worse than you EVER would? It is a delicate looking surgery but personally I'd do it myself.

In general, I agree with you - take control of your own destiny - especially if you are confident and proud of your skill set and competency to do this on your own.   It also appears that XP endorses these DIY kits for out of warranty repair.  However, some folks don't have the skill to do this properly and to retain watertight integrity of the coil.  I certainly would not do it while the battery warranty is still in effect since you are cutting into the coil. 

I understand  your point that service quality varies across the board, but folks need to be careful about lumping all repair sites into blanket assertions of competency - though I know this is influenced by personal experiences.  Believe me, I have experienced my share of service fails on detectors and just about everything else.  That being said, the US XP repair center in particular (there is only one and the repair team is trained by XP) stands behind their work.  I personally know many people who have used them without complaint or issue and Deus Handbook author and Deus expert, Andy Sabisch who I work with personally gives them high marks too.

This post provides approximate repair costs in the USA for various XP Deus/Orx components and although a couple years old, the repair costs have pretty much been stagnant for the last several years.

Finally, it is worth noting that white HF coils use an external battery pod that resides in the lower stem attached to the coil and is easily user replaceable without any watertight barriers needing to be breached for replacement.

Regardless of the approach you take, simply do your due diligence and homework and make an informed decision.

HTH

• Like 1

The Deus instruction manual says: "The searxh coil battery is sealed for obvious reasons--safety and impermeability. It must be returned to our service department or an XP distributor for replacement.

That replacement video is from several years ago. XP probably figured out peope were messing it up or worse.  I'd totally say don't risk your health and safety.  

3 hours ago, Contraption said:

The Deus instruction manual says: "The searxh coil battery is sealed for obvious reasons--safety and impermeability. It must be returned to our service department or an XP distributor for replacement.

That replacement video is from several years ago. XP probably figured out peope were messing it up or worse.  I'd totally say don't risk your health and safety.  

This makes me chuckle a little. Risking health and safety?? A battery change?? C'mon now. I've handled far more hazardous things than silicone, sealant, and batteries.  This old boy has tasted 400 Volts DC. I can't even count all the things I've done to engines since I was a kid or the fumes I've smelled.. LOL

Yeah I think anybody that has used caulking in their house or mixed and used epoxy could do the battery swap.

• Like 1

So you think XP is lying when they say there is a safety issue? I suspect you were not standing in water when you got bit. Big difference there. I admit I don't know what electronics they have inside but I trust they know what they are saying. I recall a joke, a redmeck's last words, "Hey, Y'all, watch this!"

The safety hazard probably has little to do with electrical safety but the fact that lithium ion cell batteries are inherently thermally unstable and if the packaging is breached as a result of corrosive intrusion of say, salt water, into the battery compartment or mechanical damage to the battery pack (say from a poorly placed cutting blade) a thermal runaway fire could result.  So while the risk is low, the consequence could be high.  Whether XP Is overstating the risk, who knows.  If you know what you are doing, great.  If you don't, it is no laughing matter.

• Like 1