Coil Question On XP Orx- Can You Install A New Battery In The Coil

1 hour ago, Contraption said:

So you think XP is lying when they say there is a safety issue? I suspect you were not standing in water when you got bit. Big difference there. I admit I don't know what electronics they have inside but I trust they know what they are saying. I recall a joke, a redmeck's last words, "Hey, Y'all, watch this!"

The difference is that the things I do are not for others to watch and see. I do things because either I can't afford to have others do it or what they want to charge is too much.  Either you get it or you don't when it comes to being self-sufficient. Obviously you don't get it. And before you go assuming someone is a "redneck" should probably get your facts straight.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

The safety hazard probably has little to do with electrical safety but the fact that lithium ion cell batteries are inherently thermally unstable and if the packaging is breached as a result of corrosive intrusion of say, salt water, into the battery compartment or mechanical damage to the battery pack (say from a poorly placed cutting blade) a thermal runaway fire could result.  So while the risk is low, the consequence could be high.  Whether XP Is overstating the risk, who knows.  If you know what you are doing, great.  If you don't, it is no laughing matter.

It's all about being careful with things and not rushing through it. The HF coil batteries are easy to replace and it's as simple as a connector being tightened as I believe you mentioned. Now on the non HF coils it's a bit more involved. Still very reasonable job to do though if someone takes their time and pays attention to details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The safety hazard probably has little to do with electrical safety but the fact that lithium ion cell batteries are inherently thermally unstable and if the packaging is breached as a result of corrosive intrusion of say, salt water, into the battery compartment or mechanical damage to the battery pack (say from a poorly placed cutting blade) a thermal runaway fire could result.  So while the risk is low, the consequence could be high.  Whether XP Is overstating the risk, who knows.  If you know what you are doing, great.  If you don't, it is no laughing matter.

Okay I think you are right. FIre hazard can hurt other people as well. 

P.S> RobNC, geez man, cool off. Just a joke and not meant against you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, Contraption said:

The Deus instruction manual says: "The searxh coil battery is sealed for obvious reasons--safety and impermeability. It must be returned to our service department or an XP distributor for replacement.

That replacement video is from several years ago. XP probably figured out peope were messing it up or worse.  I'd totally say don't risk your health and safety.  

The replacement video is on the XP website today. I’d totally say you have no idea what XP has figured out or not, and that if what you speculate were true they’d pull the video. http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/metal-detector/videos-05-deus-battery-kit/

• Like 1