Golden Mask Telescoping Shaft Rebuild

That’s a novel approach you took, Steve, and it came out fantastic.  What a bummer to run over your machine, but it took a flinging and still kept swinging!!!  Impressive.  
    I like the telescoping shaft but went with a folding arrangement early on. It has its benefits as well as its drawbacks. I recently upgraded the shaft sections with Steve’s carbon fiber. I screwed a lead weight ( a colonial relic) on The threaded end cap which helps when I’m using the 11” coil, but remove when I’m using the 6”. 

Good luck with the new shaft 

• Like 1

Hey Steve,

I am just about finished with making my own counterweight!  It's an old brass hose nozzle i dug up last year!  With a solid steel drawer pull, and steel insert! Weights in right at 13oz.!  And moved the center of gravity back about 6 inches on the Nox! Feel's great! All i have left to do is wrap it with grip tape or paracord! 👍👍

Update: Done!👍👍

20200621_171852.jpg

• Like 5

Steve I love what you did with that, and I think I want one. So now I have a project to do.

Thanks for sharing with us and hope I can do it right.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 10:16 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

So what did I do a while back? I know much better than to ever leave my detector leaning on the rear end of my truck. But I did it anyway and backed over the detector. Right over the pod. Crushed the handle completely!

Steve,

You are not alone in the 'backing over'  your metal detector category.  On one of my few nugget hunts earlier this year I forgot the 7000 was leaned up against my 4-Runner.  I was with a friend and he stopped me carrying my broken detector!  I had heard something but ... 

I was lucky, extremely lucky ... I broke the bottom lower shaft which is plastic.  Nothing else was damaged and I changed it with an extra I had and kept right on detecting for the trip.

Mitchel

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Hi Steve, guys.

Nice work on adapting the mono pod Steve!

I've been wanting to up grade the shaft to make my equinox more compact for hiking, car storage and travel. I only use mine for gold or treasure, no beach work for me so the colapsable telescope design is perfect. After looking around I ordered this Shaft:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lightweight-Telescopic-Carbon-Fibre-Shaft-for-Minelab-Equinox-600-800-MD/353092024374?hash=item5235ecb836:g:RCwAAOSwztde0qvA

It looks ok to me, I'll report back on what its like.

And I figure if it is flimsy or I break it I will use the parts and adapt the same mono pod as you Steve.

• Like 2

This looks like a good one, Gold Hound. Be sure to post your impressions of it when it’s done and tried out

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

First, thank you for showing this conversion and, of course, for having such a great website!

In the configuration you are showing in your pics, you have the coil mounted against the blue knurl nut.  I tried doing it this way but got the surprise of having the coil constantly detecting the nut assembly every time the coil was bumped slightly.  I'm thinking to remove the nut assembly and mount directly to the remaining carbon shaft ( I have a now modified coil mount from a spare minelab lower shaft).  This will leave just over twelve inches length, when fully extended, before the next knurl nut assembly.  Do you think that will be far enough away from the coil to prevent unwanted detection of the nut while swinging and bumping the coil around?