Fisher 1270 Aluminum Disc Prototype

This is a prototype machine I acquired from Tom Dankowski many years ago. It looks just like any other 1270, until you examine the serial tag. This is a prototype that the old Los Banos Fisher had made to experiment with aluminum discrimination. The IRON disc is actually a “segmented” ALUMINUM disc that you can adjust with laser like accuracy. For example: Imagine you have your whole band of disc, from iron to silver, and you now place a magnifying glass over the aluminum portion of the disc.

Now, if you are at a site that has an excessive amount of one certain kind of pull-tab, like a new style lift top, you can now disc it out and dig just the older style pull-tabs. You can also, eliminate most pull-tabs and dig nickels and all gold in that nickel range, tipping the odds in your favor to find more mid to large size gold rings without having to dig all pull-tabs.

ED9A3962-8707-4375-9FB7-6AE8928AD68D.jpeg

522A93AC-E423-43AA-8B7E-0BF24B36270C.jpeg

• Like 3

One of my favorite detectors of all time.  It had gobs of power,  a well chosen frequency for all around use, a good balance of sensitivity/gain and that great iron disc feature.  Really was ahead of its time.  For someone like me that cut their teeth metal detecting with a beep dig detector it was the pinnacle of analog hybrid VLF performance. Unfortunately it was a ergonomic disaster and never really caught on.

• Like 2

Tom you found plenty of gold rings with it. One time we went to a Catholic church to hunt. I had permission. Tom steps out of the car with his 1270 w/ 5" coil. Doesn't even move and swings his coil and gets an Indian head penny lpl. 

• Like 1

I always thought a detector with an expanded aluminum/gold range and sold with a Bigfoot/Cleansweep coil, specifically targeting jewelry hunters, would be a neat niche machine. Nobody has ever really made a machine 100% targeting the jewelry hunter. Interesting, when so many gold nugget or beach detectors are made. Jewelry in and of itself is an overlooked niche.

• Like 1

If you assume that inland gold jewelry jewelry will be relatively shallow - then my newly acquired looks brand new Tesoro Pantera with the clean sweep coil I have (which will fit on it) might be interesting - with skillfull use of the notch/two-tone settings.

• Like 1

That’s exactly what I was planning on doing w that Pantera Rick, however I’m to consumed w Tarsacci business, and theres only so much time in a day. Hope it works out for you.

Aaron

13 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

If you assume that inland gold jewelry jewelry will be relatively shallow - then my newly acquired looks brand new Tesoro Pantera with the clean sweep coil I have (which will fit on it) might be interesting - with skillfull use of the notch/two-tone settings.

Well yes and no. Reality is jewelry is not magically shallow while everything else gets depth. Lawn clippings bury and sink jewelry just like everything else.

It is more the nature of the hunt... a numbers game. You are going to recover WAY MORE ALUMINUM than jewelry. So plugging and holes is a time waster and will destroy a park. I prefer using a Bigfoot and a pinpointer plus screwdriver. Acquire target, down on knee, stab with pinpointer, no signal, move on. Pinpointer sees it, pop out with screwdriver. The key is dig all gold range targets, but make it easy as it is a volume game. Gotta be quick and easy. What I do is go aluminum detecting, and I accidentally find gold stuff sometimes! :smile:

In theory you can hunt deep jewelry, but plugging for pull tabs in my opinion is too slow and too destructive in all but select circumstances. Lets say the first method found an area that for some reason was a jewelry hot spot. OK, not going deep based on acquired evidence makes sense.

• Like 1

And this is the one the great things about the Tarsacci, you do not dig small foil in the park. This is no joke, check out my video on using the salinity balance to cancel out foil.
It works.