Just Purchased CZ 20 - A Few Questions

So I got a good deal on the cz20 as I’ve been looking to start diving and swinging.  I only have a few questions.  Some of my research has said the pinpoint button has leaking issues?  In your opinion is something to be concerned about?  If so, should I silicone over it or do a seal refurb? I started at 13 years old with the M scope 1235x and loved it.  I saw this purchase as a way to grab a hold of that old magic.  I remember seeing this unit in the brochure and thinking how much I’d like to try that high dollar beast!  Now thanks to a good seller on here I’ll have that chance!  Any other tips, tricks, or general aspects I should entertain would be greatly appreciated!  Glad to be back in the Fisher club!

The CZ20 PP button has a history of leaking which is why Fisher dropped it on the CZ21. I had a CZ21 for a few years and couldn’t fault the performance BUT the battery compartment had a history of leaking on me and causing major problems. I was meticulous in setting the gasket correctly and applying just the right amount of pressure on the battery lid knurled knobs......sometimes it leaked and sometimes it didn’t. I had three new gaskets which still didn’t fix the problem. Fisher assured me that I was doing everything correctly and by the book.......I guessed it leaked about 30% of the time. You must check the battery compartment as soon as you are out of the water to make sure no water....otherwise it will destroy the 4 x 9v battery holder very quickly. In the end, the CZ21 had to go....if I had my time again I would design an external battery compartment and never use the original one again except for the  battery wires. Otherwise......great detector. 
PS.....I would consider sealing over the PP button if it’s not important to you. Auto tune is so precise that PP isn’t needed. Run the power high...mine never falsed. Disc set to hear iron and you’re good to go. I never used the GB function much but experiment either fully clockwise or fully anti clockwise as the depth performance can vary from model to model and depending on your ground conditions.

• Like 1

I've hunted with a couple CZ5's. Run disc at 0 as Tony said. You get 3 tones low, medium and high. Highly praised detectors.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tony said:

The CZ20 PP button has a history of leaking which is why Fisher dropped it on the CZ21. I had a CZ21 for a few years and couldn’t fault the performance BUT the battery compartment had a history of leaking on me and causing major problems. I was meticulous in setting the gasket correctly and applying just the right amount of pressure on the battery lid knurled knobs......sometimes it leaked and sometimes it didn’t. I had three new gaskets which still didn’t fix the problem. Fisher assured me that I was doing everything correctly and by the book.......I guessed it leaked about 30% of the time. You must check the battery compartment as soon as you are out of the water to make sure no water....otherwise it will destroy the 4 x 9v battery holder very quickly. In the end, the CZ21 had to go....if I had my time again I would design an external battery compartment and never use the original one again except for the  battery wires. Otherwise......great detector. 
PS.....I would consider sealing over the PP button if it’s not important to you. Auto tune is so precise that PP isn’t needed. Run the power high...mine never falsed. Disc set to hear iron and you’re good to go. I never used the GB function much but experiment either fully clockwise or fully anti clockwise as the depth performance can vary from model to model and depending on your ground conditions.

Besides sealing the pinpoint button with waterproof silicone...what would you recommend to secure the battery compartment?  I may get lucky and it will be fine but I doubt it.  What if I siliconed the edge everytime and just cut it open each time?  I know the batteries last a long time so I wouldn’t mind doing that.

i sold the cz to rick & have had it in the fresh water diving no leaks .....

i dident use the pinpoint button ez to pinpoint in discriminate

feel free to give me a ring & i can tell you more about your machine

walt

928-715-5324 az time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

Besides sealing the pinpoint button with waterproof silicone...what would you recommend to secure the battery compartment?  I may get lucky and it will be fine but I doubt it.  What if I siliconed the edge everytime and just cut it open each time?  I know the batteries last a long time so I wouldn’t mind doing that.

I even submerged my CZ20 for 10 minutes or so in a large tub of water before venturing into the salt water....I feel mine leaked over a longer period of time when out in the water.......I never over tightened the battery door, just good finger tightness only. Anyway, you may never have a problem. My post is just precautionary.....people have used these detectors for many years without leakage. 
When tightening the two steel knurled knobs, make sure you alternate between each one when doing them up as this ensures even seating of the gasket. Also ensure that the gasket is seated the correct way up as it looks as if it can be placed either way. One side has a higher rib and this must be facing the correct way on the battery door.....it will definitely leak if this is seated incorrectly. The manual highlights this.
Good luck 

Tony

• Like 1

You could have had a bad unit Tony, really sounds like it to me. The 1280/CZ housing has been around for decades and is a pretty well proven product. We are talking 250 foot depth rating, not 10 feet. I seriously think there was something off with yours.

The 1280X was my first waterproof detector... I cleaned up with that thing using SCUBA gear. :smile:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CaptainCoinSpill said:

So I got a good deal on the cz20 as I’ve been looking to start diving and swinging.  I only have a few questions.  Some of my research has said the pinpoint button has leaking issues?  In your opinion is something to be concerned about?  If so, should I silicone over it or do a seal refurb? I started at 13 years old with the M scope 1235x and loved it.  I saw this purchase as a way to grab a hold of that old magic.  I remember seeing this unit in the brochure and thinking how much I’d like to try that high dollar beast!  Now thanks to a good seller on here I’ll have that chance!  Any other tips, tricks, or general aspects I should entertain would be greatly appreciated!  Glad to be back in the Fisher club!

I have my cz20 since i bought it new 1995 or around that time. Still working great. Pinpoint button never did impress me much so i never used it. Easy to pinpoint without it. First thing i did was mount on waist, makes hunting lot more fun. I left mine in closet few years and coil cable began to come apart. I used electrical tape and spray liquid tape. Made several coats. Works just like new. If i have anymore problems ill just replace with new wire. Great machine found a lot of rings with it. The battery compartment is independant from main control if it leaks only battery is affected. I use in salt water never gives me falsing, looks like you got great deal. Back then i paid big bucks but it has returned back with interest. Enjoy it Happy Hunting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You could have had a bad unit Tony, really sounds like it to me. The 1280/CZ housing has been around for decades and is a pretty well proven product. We are talking 250 foot depth rating, not 10 feet. I seriously think there was something off with yours.

The 1280X was my first waterproof detector... I cleaned up with that thing using SCUBA gear. :smile:

I suspect you are correct Steve......boy it found me a lot of gold though.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Just Purchased CZ 20 - A Few Questions