34 minutes ago, Willy said:

Yes, it is true and that's what the system does to distinguish iron to non-iron.

No, it does not. It distinguishes short time constant targets from long time constant targets. Iron and steel targets can fall into either category. It is this idea that there is a clean separation of iron and non-iron targets that will lead to continuing misunderstandings and grief concerning Impulse AQ discrimination capability. Whenever you say that you make people think the Impulse will act just like a VLF Detector with low tones on ferrous targets and high tones on non-ferrous targets. That is not an accurate depiction of what is going on. Stick with short time constants and long time constants and stay out of trouble. Insist on ferrous versus non-Ferrous being the way things are... you are asking for trouble.

38 minutes ago, Rick Kempf said:

For the record, lest someone reading an earlier post should conclude that the the videos showing gold rings giving a high tone and nails giving a low tone are somehow faked, contrived or represent the outcome of some kind of specially contrived set-up - I can assert - from my own use of three different AQ’s - that the results in the videos are typical and completely accurate and correct.

And if you are referring to my statement about videos, I was neither referring to or implying anything about any specific video.

Ok, I really am done. Refer to my prior explanations and statements regarding AQ discrimination if you have questions for me about it. In all I’ve written a small book on ground balancing pulse induction discrimination and it’s all out there for those that have an interest. At this point anything I say I’ll just be repeating myself for the third or fourth time.

• Like 1

I was going to go into further explanation of what I want  the AQ Tone and mute modes to do but I think it would just confuse everyone more.

I'm just going to resign to the apparent fact that the Impulse AQ is the best PI ever designed. If at some point the Tone and Mute modes prove to be useful that is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

If this can help you a little, at certain times when the target was smaller or the search coil is higher you hear the treble variations. For the iron nail it makes a low tone and a double beep at the same time.

When the targets are at the limit of detection, they give you their true conductivity sound frequency.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, ALEXANDRE TARTAR said:

If this can help you a little, at certain times when the target was smaller or the search coil is higher you hear the treble variations. For the iron nail it makes a low tone and a double beep at the same time.

When the targets are at the limit of detection, they give you their true conductivity sound frequency.

Thanks for posting this as it gives a pretty distinctive tone for each of the different targets.  I've been following the Aquamanta / Impulse AQ project since it was first talked about several years ago on fmall...even considered buying LE.JAGs prototype a few years ago but it's nice to see that it's finally in the hands of avid beach detectorists, albeit in limited quantities at the moment.

Patiently waiting for my turn at a machine.

• Like 2