Nationwide Coin Shortage

Well it had to happen since everyone had to stay at home, no kids going to the corner store, and small business's closed to the public.

Than should show who really runs the country, small business and the younger population.

• Like 1

That is a massive blessing for folks here in the UK unless you are looking for spendables off the beach but as most folks are after jewellery more than anything then that is still not really a issue as such.Modern coinage here especially our very low denomination coins ie micky mouse money as i call it has other non desirable metals added so they either corrode very quickly or just basically confuse the detectors discrimination setup.

But as we have coinage going back 1000s of years in then although a possible short or even a long term shortage of modern coinage could happen it does not really worry us,we are moving towards a cashless society anyway and has been for a fair amount of time,all online transaction are cashless and this extends from Amazon/Ebay and every day groceries and almost everyday home/business use as well.As a result of the current pandemic most shops only have been taking cashless transactions,this is a trend that will continue and will in years to come will be the everyday norm.

So although its a current day coin shortage it will become almost zero in the the future and quicker than most folks think it will.

Times are changing,a interesting fact about one of our older coins ie a 1797 Georgian Cartwheel penny these coins are absolutely massive size wise and the weight of them was exactly 1oz the 2penny coin was even larger and weighed 2oz can you imagion the weight that must have been have some of those in your pockets,i would rather take the cashless card option like we are currently doing and will become the new norm.

• Like 3

Just what we need -- more Zincolns being minted.  Ugh.

Although we know coins leave circulation through loss into the ground, in the short run I don't see that as being a significant sink.  I wonder where the coins are disappearing.  People pay fast food purchases with currency and then toss the change into a jar/drawer/car cup holder?  Normally these would get recycled when people take them to the bank, but the bank lobbies are closed.

Come to think of it, I was at the credit union drive-thru this past week and there was a sign posted that said they couldn't accept much coinage because the transporters couldn't handle the weight.  I wonder if that is part of the problem....

• Like 1

They could do the stimulus in the form of Zincolns, that should get some out in circulation!