Impulse AQ Limited *** Hair Pin *** All Metal Mode

Shape matters is all I can say.

Does the piece at the top of your picture that is not a closed loop sound different than the piece below it?  

I could probably interrogate those pieces with my 800 and get a couple of positive audio responses if deep and then I would have to take my chances on the number of good targets that sound that way.  The closed piece would probably make me want to dig it if I was new on your beach.

Mitchel

5 hours ago, cuniagau said:

Here is a picture of what I hope to avoid digging.  These are larger than the normal pieces that seem to sound so good, especially when really deep.  Makes no difference which detector, TDI Pro, Dual Field, Equinox, 3030.  Steve, Joe, Andre, Rick, Le Jag, how will the AQ react to these bits and pieces in the wild? I dig them as small as 1/4 inch in length, so there is not enough for an elongated double blip. 

IMG_8532.JPG

Bottle caps and wire are problematic at best.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 7:30 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

I had my best time detecting when I was able to punch down to the level that recent beach activity exposed. Exposed for me a lot, but only slightly for others that did not have that depth with their VLF's. Even though the AQ is not really intended for silver or copper coin hunting, it still will find them in all metal at great depth. On my beaches, I will hunt gold first, then hunt some silver and copper (and iron of course). It will be very interesting to learn the maximum we can squeeze out of the AQ.

This was a two day hunt a few years ago in the water when a small storm moved just enough sand to make these targets come to light with my PI. They were all about chest deep so fighting the incoming tide made it difficult and finally unable for me to detect. On the third day the depth was reduced to about my waist and only a few coins remained. The fourth day brought nothing. The area containing the targets was rectangular, about 25 by 100 yards long. I dug quite a bit of trash... this was some of it, but would sure like to do it again only deeper. Four gold rings and quite a few silver. image.thumb.png.0e3a8d3df28330b8ba319e2767551eff.png

image.thumb.png.aecbcf1f12e45d5a8d8b0988207947a9.png

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, okara gold said:

This was a two day hunt a few years ago in the water when a small storm moved just enough sand to make these targets come to light with my PI. They were all about chest deep so fighting the incoming tide made it difficult and finally unable for me to detect. On the third day the depth was reduced to about my waist and only a few coins remained. The fourth day brought nothing. The area containing the targets was rectangular, about 25 by 100 yards long. I dug quite a bit of trash... this was some of it, but would sure like to do it again only deeper. Four gold rings and quite a few silver.

It's amazing what is still hiding there, just waiting for a rough waters to remove some sand.  Just 4 days and you went right back to silence. That is the fun part of detecting. You get to a beach and expect a so-so day, but instead you get a bonanza!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 2:41 PM, cuniagau said:

I guess I should have posted the coins with the Lobster trap pic.  The top row of coins are normal "fresh drop" coins.  Those below are the green and sandblasted coins that are normally in the 12 to 15+ inch range where the Lobster trap pieces are also located and have been moving in and out with the tide for years.  I think part of the problem I have with the Lobster trap wire is that it is vinyl coated and virtually no rust.  I am in Beach Mode 1 on the Equinox and running about as hot as it will run.  I can avoid bobby pins, tent stakes, nails, bottle caps without any problem.  It is these vinyl coated pieces that do not give an indication of iron or steel. 

IMG_8535.jpg

I would be inclined to stick my face in here and say that the above set of digs are those of a skilled pulse hunter.  No elongateds, nothing outsized--good job.  At the same time I would have to concur with Steve and say there are plenty of good targets, crosses, upended rings and earrings that will hit twice.  We are always playing the odds with this hobby and its here that an even wider skill set comes in--where? site quality? target context? sand texture? and quite a few other target features.  When I run the "Cuda" with it's great optimization (after decades) I can tell by how strong and clean a signal is--pretty much what it's made of. 

When someone uses the term "detector expert" I think of Steve--and very, very few others.  (maybe Carl Moreland and
Bill Lahr).  Im also no stranger to playing "devils advocate" --the buying public deserves it but on this one--a superb gold hunter's machine that (like any) comes with a learning curve--I lean towards focussing on what it can do rather than what it can't.  As Gigmasters unfair video shows us, the VLF- alumni hoards need to be kept at the gate. They want and expect too much.  cjc

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 8:14 PM, okara gold said:

This was a two day hunt a few years ago in the water when a small storm moved just enough sand to make these targets come to light with my PI. They were all about chest deep so fighting the incoming tide made it difficult and finally unable for me to detect. On the third day the depth was reduced to about my waist and only a few coins remained. The fourth day brought nothing. The area containing the targets was rectangular, about 25 by 100 yards long. I dug quite a bit of trash... this was some of it, but would sure like to do it again only deeper. Four gold rings and quite a few silver. image.thumb.png.0e3a8d3df28330b8ba319e2767551eff.png

image.thumb.png.aecbcf1f12e45d5a8d8b0988207947a9.png

Thats a great hunt.  Not to say that Im alltogether skilled with this machine but I get the sense of what it's capable of.  I think that if one learns to go after narrow responses, stay off the elongated targets and (hate to say it rotten glasses) the AQ has the potential to be very accurate.  It's a clean signal with a lot of target information.  cjc

2 minutes ago, cjc said:

Thats a great hunt.  Not to say that Im alltogether skilled with this machine but I get the sense of what it's capable of.  I think that if one learns to go after narrow responses, stay off the elongated targets and (hate to say it rotten glasses) the AQ has the potential to be very accurate.  It's a clean signal with a lot of target information.  cjc

That's good advice clive. I'm anxious to find all of its abilities and weaknesses. Gold hunting is my favorite thing to do. I've only had the machine a short time but am learning to hear the differences between ferrous and non ferrous targets in the all metal mode. Love the smooth threshold.

10 minutes ago, okara gold said:

That's good advice clive. I'm anxious to find all of its abilities and weaknesses. Gold hunting is my favorite thing to do. I've only had the machine a short time but am learning to hear the differences between ferrous and non ferrous targets in the all metal mode. Love the smooth threshold.

I can see you are getting it and you certainly have the determination.  if I were to give one bit of advice--try turning it down and bringing  the factor of signal strength in.  When you turn a pulse up--the signal character changes dramatically--less info.  It's like there are things that your ears can only learn at these low settings. Also you notice that a lot of the instruction on this machine involves lifting the coil and hearing the "edge" of the signal--same thing. cjc

• Thanks 1

cjc. I tend to run things a little on the hot side which I probably shouldn’t do especially when learning a new machine. When you say turn it down are you referring to the ats, sensitivity and delay, all together or just a specific function?

18 minutes ago, cjc said:

I can see you are getting it and you certainly have the determination.  if I were to give one bit of advice--try turning it down and bringing  the factor of signal strength in.  When you turn a pulse up--the signal character changes dramatically--less info.  It's like there are things that your ears can only learn at these low settings. Also you notice that a lot of the instruction on this machine involves lifting the coil and hearing the "edge" of the signal--same thing. cjc

I have a pretty good book that I need to read again.   

A5F2EEC7-F05B-426B-9088-E81B5B9CB741.jpeg